Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Merle Haggerty Rip

Jaw saw. RIP. When he was in prison saw Johnny Cash play. He wanted to be singer at that point.

other than "Okie From Muskogee" (and that scene in Platoon where they listen to it) I really wasn't familiar with his ouevre, and kinda lumped him in with country music hicks in general. I had read that he intended it as more of a satirical song, but listening to it, found that hard to believe. People (including liberal people) have told me I am wrong about this and Merle Haggard in general. I can admit when I am wrong & keep an open mind... so I added Merle to my list of musicians to eventually check out

other than "Okie From Muskogee" (and that scene in Platoon where they listen to it) I really wasn't familiar with his ouevre, and kinda lumped him in with country music hicks in general. I had read that he intended it as more of a satirical song, but listening to it, found that hard to believe. People (including liberal people) have told me I am wrong about this and Merle Haggard in general. I can admit when I am wrong & keep an open mind... so I added Merle to my list of musicians to eventually check out

You do that:

Number-one songs by Merle Haggard:

"I'm a Lonesome Fugitive" (1966)
"Branded Man" (1967)
"Sing Me Back Home" (1968)
"The Legend of Bonnie and Clyde" (1968)
"Mama Tried" (1968)
"Hungry Eyes" (1969)
"Workin' Man Blues" (1969)
"Okie from Muskogee" (1969)
"The Fightin' Side of Me" (1970)
"Daddy Frank" (1971)
"Carolyn" (1971)
"Grandma Harp" (1972)
"It's Not Love (But It's Not Bad)" (1972)
"I Wonder If They Ever Think of Me" (1972)
"Everybody's Had the Blues" (1973)
"If We Make It Through December" (1973)
"Things Aren't Funny Anymore" (1974)
"Old Man from the Mountain" (1974)
"Kentucky Gambler" (1974)
"Always Wanting You" (1975)
"Movin' On" (1975)
"It's All in the Movies" (1975)
"The Roots of My Raising" (1975)
"Cherokee Maiden" (1976)
"Bar Room Buddies" (with Clint Eastwood) (1980)
"I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink" (1980)
"My Favorite Memory" (1981)
"Big City" (1981)
"Yesterday's Wine" (with George Jones) (1982)
"Going Where the Lonely Go" (1982)
"You Take Me for Granted" (1982)
"Pancho and Lefty" (with Willie Nelson) (1983)
"That's the Way Love Goes" (1983)
"Someday When Things Are Good" (1984)
"Let's Chase Each Other Around the Room" (1984)
"A Place to Fall Apart" (with Janie Frickie) (1984)
"Natural High" (1985)
"Twinkle, Twinkle Lucky Star" (1987)

Back