Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Indians verses blue jays Alcs

biggunsbob

Tribe goes up 3 games to 0 and the jays come to play today and make it 3-1.
Jays get game five at home which they have to win then have to beat the tribe in Cleveland twice. Since coming back from 3-0 has only happened once in baseball and once or twice in hockey it probably is not happening and then undeserving fans of Cleveland wil probably get amother chance at WS glory. Now those 90's tribe fans deserved the title but heck they hardly support thier team now in the regular season.

Watching Andrew Miller out of the bullpen for the Indians is like a fucking nightmare come to life. It's painful.

8 batters down on 21 pitches and he easily could have pitched the 9th if needed. Unreal.

Last edited:
Watching Andrew Miller out of the bullpen for the Indians is like a fucking nightmare come to life. It's painful.

8 batters down on 21 pitches and he easily could have pitched the 9th if needed. Unreal.

most organizations are too hard headed. There are probably pitchers in the Tigers organization that are being groomed to be a starter but will never pan out...but they may be great relievers. Unless they try them in different roles they will never find out.

most organizations are too hard headed. There are probably pitchers in the Tigers organization that are being groomed to be a starter but will never pan out...but they may be great relievers. Unless they try them in different roles they will never find out.

No different for Miller, outside a few starts when he first came up to Detroit he started for 5 years.

Sure wish we had a lefty like Moller out if the pen.. didn't he have some injury years after the tigers ?

Miller left DET in 2007. He last started in the MLBs in 2011. It wasn't until 2012 with BOS that he was turned into a reliever.

Career as Starter

5.70 ERA 1.73 WHIP .296 OPP BAVG .834 OPP OPS 1.40 SO/BB

Career as Reliever

2.61 ERA 1.02 WHIP .179 OPP BAVG .552 OPP OPS 3.95 SO/BB

In 2007 with DET, Miller at 22 started 13 games. In 7 of those games (all in the first 10 games), he did not give up more than 3 runs. He had only 4 Quality Starts and 3 starts with 5 IP and less than 3 ER. Economy of pitches was his issue and he was hitting 100 pitches at 5 IP. As the season went along, he struggled as the innings mounted.

Throughout his starting career, Miller would occasionally go 7 IP or more with 1 or 2 ER, but as a rule he struggled to get out of the 5th Inning. No one ever denied his stuff. It was always about developing a tertiary pitch and stamina/economy of pitches.

Miller for Cabrera ultimately was the deal and I think DET won that one because Miller has pitched for about 35 teams since that trade.

Miller for Cabrera ultimately was the deal and I think DET won that one because Miller has pitched for about 35 teams since that trade.

It was actually for Michael Fulmer, Matt Boyd, and Joe Jimenez.

You think Detroit won? A HOF player for a relief pitcher.. That was a slam dunk of a trade as any..

Last edited:
It was actually for Michael Fulmer, Matt Boyd, and Joe Jimenez.

Help me understand this. Fulmer was drafted four years after the Tigers traded Miller, Maybin, several bags of BP balls and some Double Bubble for Cabrera and Willis.

You think Detroit won? A HOF player for a relief pitcher.. That was a slam dunk of a trade as any..

Someone here was lamenting as a "nightmare come to life" that Miller was so chillingly efficient with his pitches. I read that to imply that he could be doing that for the Tigers.

Help me understand this. Fulmer was drafted four years after the Tigers traded Miller, Maybin, several bags of BP balls and some Double Bubble for Cabrera and Willis.

You were referring to the Detroit/Florida deal from many years ago. I was referring to the New York/Cleveland deal less than a year ago that the Tigers were trying to get in on.

Someone here was lamenting as a "nightmare come to life" that Miller was so chillingly efficient with his pitches. I read that to imply that he could be doing that for the Tigers.

He could've been, if we could've afforded him this past trade deadline. The nightmare I'm speaking of wasn't the Florida trade, that would just be plain silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ

Last edited:
You were referring to the Detroit/Florida deal from many years ago. I was referring to the New York/Cleveland deal less than a year ago that the Tigers were trying to get in on.

Tying your comment to mine regarding Cabrera for Miller kinda muddied the waters. Never was a fan of Strother Martin. Now I'll go kill a snapping turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ[/QUOTE]

Back