Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Workplace injuries in non-union southern auto plants

Michchamp

Bloomberg businessweek just published an article on how bad workplace safety conditions are for auto-parts makers that sprang up in the south alongside the BMW, Toyota, etc. plants that moved there. link.

No surprise (to me at least) that the number of serious injuries, lost limbs, and workplace deaths are significantly higher than at unionized plants in the north. the stories they feature are pretty damn tragic. puts a human face on the mindless discussions about workplace safety and claims unions no longer have any purpose because OSHA exists. true, OSHA did pressure southern plants starting more recently, but I have a hard time seeing that pressure continue in any meaningful way once Trump is able to fit selecting some OSHA appointees into his golf schedule at mar-a-lago

but at least they have jobs, right? and it's not like they were going to live forever anyways. and not all Americans deserve to have two functioning arms and legs for that matter. No such thing as a free lunch. fuck unions!

(insert typical story you hear from every Conservatard in Michigan about an uncle who knows some union guy at the Ford plant who gets high at work, sleeps on the job, makes $200,000 dollars a year, and is an Islamofascist Communist, Nazi sympathizer who beats his kids, but can't be fired because he was lucky enough to be the most senior guy in the plant, and therefore unions = bad... end of discussion)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love articles that rely mostly on emotional triggers.

So to summarize, parts suppliers who are desperate to reach their parts quota are cutting corners and pushing workers too hard which results in a dangerous working environments.

Note this article has nothing to do with unions.

but at least they have jobs, right? and it's not like they were going to live forever anyways. and not all Americans deserve to have two functioning arms and legs for that matter. No such thing as a free lunch. fuck unions!

You do know that the guy and the chick in the picture are siblings who are married to each other, just like their parents were, don't you?

That's the way they do shit in the Alabama, just like throughout much of the South.

So it's the employers fault that that those red necked mongoloid in-breds can't figure out how to form a union?

They're lucky if they lose hands, feed and limbs - it will spare them the indignation of going through life with webbed fingers and toes.

I love articles that rely mostly on emotional triggers.

So to summarize, parts suppliers who are desperate to reach their parts quota are cutting corners and pushing workers too hard which results in a dangerous working environments.

Note this article has nothing to do with unions.

Sorry, I forgot most of my fellow Americans don't like to read things.

Here, I'll just post an operative paragraph to show you how it does in fact have a lot to do with unions (or lack thereof):
The agency cited one year, 2010, when workers in Alabama parts plants had a 50 percent higher rate of illness and injury than the U.S. auto parts industry as a whole. That gap has narrowed, but the incidence of traumatic injuries in Alabama’s auto parts plants remains 9 percent higher than in Michigan’s and 8 percent higher than in Ohio’s. In 2015 the chances of losing a finger or limb in an Alabama parts factory was double the amputation risk nationally for the industry, 65 percent higher than in Michigan and 33 percent above the rate in Ohio.​

Let me know if you want me to read and summarize anything else for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do know that the guy and the chick in the picture are siblings who are married to each other, just like their parents were, don't you?

That's the way they do shit in the Alabama, just like throughout much of the South.

It is not just the south of USA. Inbreeding is very common in Italy especially in the south and Sicily. Also in the Arab world it is very common. Not surprising that Sicily was once controlled by Arabs for a few centuries and a major trading partner for millenia.

The north of Italy is the "civilized" part largely due to Germanic-Frank influence.

So it's the employers fault that that those red necked mongoloid in-breds can't figure out how to form a union?

They're lucky if they lose hands, feed and limbs - it will spare them the indignation of going through life with webbed fingers and toes.

Are you angling for a regular gig on Fox?

It is not just the south of USA. Inbreeding is very common in Italy especially in the south and Sicily. Also in the Arab world it is very common. Not surprising that Sicily was once controlled by Arabs for a few centuries and a major trading partner for millenia.

The north of Italy is the "civilized" part largely due to Germanic-Frank influence.

what a pile of raci- no I can't say that anymore - what a pile of nonsense.

Sorry, I forgot most of my fellow Americans don't like to read things.

Here, I'll just post an operative paragraph to show you how it does in fact have a lot to do with unions (or lack thereof):
The agency cited one year, 2010, when workers in Alabama parts plants had a 50 percent higher rate of illness and injury than the U.S. auto parts industry as a whole. That gap has narrowed, but the incidence of traumatic injuries in Alabama?s auto parts plants remains 9 percent higher than in Michigan?s and 8 percent higher than in Ohio?s. In 2015 the chances of losing a finger or limb in an Alabama parts factory was double the amputation risk nationally for the industry, 65 percent higher than in Michigan and 33 percent above the rate in Ohio.​
Let me know if you want me to read and summarize anything else for you.
Son, I read the article.

The issue is with suppliers cutting corners to make a profit by making bids which they cannot satisfy and not following safety regulations.

Are you under the belief every parts supplier in the north is unionized?

Son, I read the article.

The issue is with suppliers cutting corners to make a profit by making bids which they cannot satisfy and not following safety regulations.

Are you under the belief every parts supplier in the north is unionized?

no, but undoubtedly a lot of them are.

and the presence of unions generally benefits local non-union workplaces, as the employers treat their employees better, knowing the threat of unionization is real. so unions would have an effect even on non-union labor in MI, OH, and the midwest/north. this threat doesn't really exist due to the political climate in the South.

no, but undoubtedly a lot of them are.

and the presence of unions generally benefits local non-union workplaces, as the employers treat their employees better, knowing the threat of unionization is real. so unions would have an effect even on non-union labor in MI, OH, and the midwest/north. this threat doesn't really exist due to the political climate in the South.

I call bollocks of the threat of unionization not existing. Recall the continued attempt to unionize the VW plant in Tennessee.

I call bollocks of the threat of unionization not existing. Recall the continued attempt to unionize the VW plant in Tennessee.

Call bollocks all you want, my friend. but TN is not AL, GA, or MS.

I read about the attempt to unionize VW in TN. It's not been successful so far, although the attempt has made some progress. I thought I remember reading the vote to unionize failed.

Glad you've moved on from trying to argue that this has nothing to do with unions.

Call bollocks all you want, my friend. but TN is not AL, GA, or MS.

I read about the attempt to unionize VW in TN. It's not been successful so far, although the attempt has made some progress. I thought I remember reading the vote to unionize failed.

Glad you've moved on from trying to argue that this has nothing to do with unions.

It is not an argument. That article is not about unions.

If you believe the holy saviour to everything is unions than there is no changing your mind.

It is not an argument. That article is not about unions.

If you believe the holy saviour to everything is unions than there is no changing your mind.

I do not believe unions are the holy saviour to everything.

Automotive News ain't no someone's idea of no blog.

"Ross says that OSHA has observed that attitudes toward formal, closely monitored safety programs differ from supply chain to supply chain. Some automakers do not require suppliers to meet safety standards, he says.

MY COMMENT: I wonder which ones are not that interested in safety standards, besides the Hyundais and Kias of the industry, and if it includes those that contract with Tier 1 and 2 facilities that are unionized.

“If the auto manufacturers would make having a formal safety program a pre-requisite to do business with them, this would all be so easy,” he says. “If the customer required all their parts suppliers to do it, they would.”

Last edited:
Back