Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kovacs back at Michigan, helping coach defense & special teams

I maintained at the time that better, more physically talented, players were on the roster....even if they were younger.

Kovacs was a safety. One of four on the roster in 2012-13. Two seniors, one junior and one freshman. He was fourth in solo tackles on the team in 2012.

In 2011, Kovacs led the team in solo tackles. There were six safeties on the roster. Apparently these "better, more physically talented, players" were not good enough to start ahead of Kovacs, or they would have.

I maintained at the time that better, more physically talented, players were on the roster....even if they were younger.

Everybody works to get reps.

If a person thinks or thought the team would have been better if other guys had gotten more reps and Kovacs had gotten less reps, that person should put that on the coaches, not the player who worked to get the reps he got.

Reading this thread makes me nostalgic for the endless arguments about coaching we used to have.

Man, we endured more shit than we deserved as a fanbase.

The dirty buckeye cheaters deserve a couple bad coaches in a row WAY more than we did.

Kovacs played during a rocky, roller coaster period for Michigan. His Junior year was the best season Michigan had over a seven year period; his senior year was the second best.

The next two years at Michigan continued to downhill from there.

You asked me in post #11 "So let me ask you, do you think prime-Kovacs would have started this past year on our defense?"

Well, those younger but better and more physically talented (so you say) players were there during the slide after Kovacs left - so let me ask you the same question about any of them?

Reading this thread makes me nostalgic for the endless arguments about coaching we used to have.

Man, we endured more shit than we deserved as a fanbase.

The dirty buckeye cheaters deserve a couple bad coaches in a row WAY more than we did.

It's just more proof that karma does not exist.

Kovacs was a safety. One of four on the roster in 2012-13. Two seniors, one junior and one freshman. He was fourth in solo tackles on the team in 2012.

In 2011, Kovacs led the team in solo tackles. There were six safeties on the roster. Apparently these "better, more physically talented, players" were not good enough to start ahead of Kovacs, or they would have.

But it's impossible to prove one way or another if another player would have done better. He got a lot of tackles because he was the starter, and got a lot of solo tackles because he often found himself facing someone in the secondary who shouldn't have been there because our DL or LB let him through. Our coaches at the time got fired for a reason, and guys on the roster made dramatic improvements under 1 year of Harbaugh for a reason. And IMO it's because guys like Kovacs were played over younger guys with more talent.

But it's impossible to prove one way or another if another player would have done better. He got a lot of tackles because he was the starter, and got a lot of solo tackles because he often found himself facing someone in the secondary who shouldn't have been there because our DL or LB let him through. Our coaches at the time got fired for a reason, and guys on the roster made dramatic improvements under 1 year of Harbaugh for a reason. And IMO it's because guys like Kovacs were played over younger guys with more talent.

Which defensive backs from Kovacs's Time were even around when Harbaugh came on board?

EDIT: and as I pointed out earlier, with those younger better more physically talented players, The team got worse after Kovacs left, not better.

Last edited:

Jarrod Wilson (FS). Delano Hill (SS). Dymonte Thomas (SS). The three safety carry overs from Hoke to Harbaugh. Only Wilson was on the same roster as Kovacs and he was not competing with him.

2012 SS depth chart:

11 Jordan Kovacs (6-0, 202, 5th Sr.)
3 Marvin Robinson (6-2, 200, So./So.)
23 Floyd Simmons (6-0, 200, 5th Sr.)

2013 SS Depth Chart
30 Thomas Gordon (5-11, 210, 5th Sr.)
14 Josh Furman (6-2, 202, Sr./Jr.)
25 Dymonte Thomas (6-2, 190, Fr./Fr.)
44 Delano Hill (6-0, 205, Fr./Fr.)

Wait? Where did Marvin Robinson go? He was held back at Michigan and transferred to ... FSU. Ferris State University.

Jarrod Wilson (FS). Delano Hill (SS). Dymonte Thomas (SS). The three safety carry overs from Hoke to Harbaugh. Only Wilson was on the same roster as Kovacs and he was not competing with him.

2012 SS depth chart:

11 Jordan Kovacs (6-0, 202, 5th Sr.)
3 Marvin Robinson (6-2, 200, So./So.)
23 Floyd Simmons (6-0, 200, 5th Sr.)

2013 SS Depth Chart
30 Thomas Gordon (5-11, 210, 5th Sr.)
14 Josh Furman (6-2, 202, Sr./Jr.)
25 Dymonte Thomas (6-2, 190, Fr./Fr.)
44 Delano Hill (6-0, 205, Fr./Fr.)

Wait? Where did Marvin Robinson go? He was held back at Michigan and transferred to ... FSU. Ferris State University.

Yeah, but that's where you take WR's or other DB's and flip them to S.

Yeah, but that's where you take WR's or other DB's and flip them to S.

In 2012? Like Bo Dever? Joe Reynolds? Wait ... Funchess! He'd have been awesome! Or any of CBs ... none of which topped 200 lb! Whatever it takes to bench Jordan! And you mean SS of course ... that must be implied, since they are more run-focused and usually shade the TE side of the field and have run-stop responsibility, which could explain the number of tackles Kovacs had in 2011 and 2012. The perfect fit for a DB who is 5' 9" 180.

I am utterly stunned and amazed that you are not the coach of an up-and-coming Power 5 football program with an office, a recruiting budget, a personal assistant, a company car and your own weekly radio show.

Last edited:
In 2012? Like Bo Dever? Joe Reynolds? Wait ... Funchess! He'd have been awesome! Or any of CBs ... none of which topped 200 lb! Whatever it takes to bench Jordan! And you mean SS of course ... that must be implied, since they are more run-focused and usually shade the TE side of the field and have run-stop responsibility, which could explain the number of tackles Kovacs had in 2011 and 2012. The perfect fit for a DB who is 5' 9" 180.

I am utterly stunned and amazed that you are not the coach of an up-and-coming Power 5 football program with an office, a recruiting budget, a personal assistant, a company car and your own weekly radio show.

I don't have the time for that. I'm more of a sit on the couch and criticize P5 coaches, kind of guy.

With that said, we're talking about a coach with an NFL running back on the roster who kept him at 2nd or 3rd string until he eventually transferred to a Mac school; who's subsequently been fired from his next job as a DC. The legitimacy of his knowledge SHOULD be questioned based on his track record.

The 2012 team had 12 secondary players on scholarship not counting Kovacs. So I maintain they could have found a more talented player.

I don't have the time for that. I'm more of a sit on the couch and criticize P5 coaches, kind of guy.

With that said, we're talking about a coach with an NFL running back on the roster who kept him at 2nd or 3rd string until he eventually transferred to a Mac school; who's subsequently been fired from his next job as a DC. The legitimacy of his knowledge SHOULD be questioned based on his track record.

The 2012 team had 12 secondary players on scholarship not counting Kovacs. So I maintain they could have found a more talented player.

sounds like your real problem is with Hoke not Kovacs, Beavis.

I have an autographed pic from Kovacs in my Mans Den - shot from the first UTL game vs ND.

Also have Drew Dileo ...Jim Harbaugh, Denard Robinson and Desmond Howard.

I have an autographed pic from Kovacs in my Mans Den - shot from the first UTL game vs ND.

Also have Drew Dileo ...Jim Harbaugh, Denard Robinson and Desmond Howard.

sounds like M&B would actually be cool with that... no Hoke. And no RichRod, his buddy from MC Sporting Goods.

Back