Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Good News 2017 Season

The Good News game 52. The Tigers fell to 24-28.

Verlander pitched well enough to win. Lowing his era to 4.50. A Wilson lower his era 1,57 as well.
To bad the offence did not show up.

Not to mention JV has 10-5 rights so he could squash any trade. He's a competitor obviously and wants to win but there are probably teams out there he'd rather not play for. Would not blame him one bit.

Seems to me that at this stage the Tigers are/should be one of them.

Not to mention JV has 10-5 rights so he could squash any trade. He's a competitor obviously and wants to win but there are probably teams out there he'd rather not play for. Would not blame him one bit.

looking at the makeup of this team...the Tigers may be a team he doesn't want to play for in the twilight of his career. He may want to go to a team that is going to compete for a WS

Seems to me that at this stage the Tigers are/should be one of them.

looking at the makeup of this team...the Tigers may be a team he doesn't want to play for in the twilight of his career. He may want to go to a team that is going to compete for a WS

You guys may be right. I'm just thinking in the lines of a guy who has spent 10+ years with the same club not wanting to get traded. If there's no chance they compete going forward some guys may want to go to contending teams.

The Good News is Great news this day, Game 53. Tigers win the game 6-5, to get to 25-28. Tiger win KC series 2-1. Need more of that.
Upton got two doubles for his 11th. has been Hitting 10 for 31 = .323, in his last 8 games.
J.D. got his 2nd double has been slipping lately 5 for 32=.156 however 4 of those hits were 2 doubles and 2 homers.
Cabrera 7th double has been hovering around .260 for the last 10 games going 8 for 33 = .242. Two doubles!
Castellanos 11th, only xbh in last 10 games, going 4 for 39!! = .102!!!
In truth these were all good. But for some were really NEEDED! This team is needing more games like this for the offence.

V-Mart 5th Homerun 10 for 33 = .277, in last 10 games.
Avila 7th Homerun, 4 for 31 = .129 in last 10 games. Which brings me to one of the BIGGEST problems this team has the NUMBER TWO SPOT in the line up. Team average is .213, Avila .236! only the 5 5 spot at .209 is worse. The one and two spots have not been productive!

Boyd did not do his job at all enough said! Call Farmer.
Saupoid give him a shot at a start go 3 to 4 innings is just as good as Boyd done lately. O and he got his 1st win
Green 0.1 era> 1.82
A Wilson 1.0 gave a run.
J Wilson got his 5th save.
And as all ways the Good News is great news with a Tiger win.

Last edited:
The Good News, is Trifecta Great news this day with Games 54,55,56 sweeping Chicago sox, need more of that.
Fridays game was well should need a pick me up tune in Saturday's game. And that not enough Sundays was tight one till the homer off.
Tigers had a weekend like a dream come true. Friday I tried to do a pitch by pitch for the offence for a change, and got rewarded by one of the Tigers best games of the season, 15-5. About wore me out. Should have had Harry help me out, whats that time for a cold one.
2B: Cabrera 2 J.D. Martinez 3, Castellanos 12; Upton 12, Machado 1,Mahtook 4, 6 doubles.3B: Machado 1 J.D. Martinez 1 2 Triples. HR: Mahtook 3, J.D. Martinez 9 Hicks 3 , 3 Homeruns for ELEVEN XBHs;
Fulmer got the victory 6-3 Leon got in for the 8th and Hardy finish the 9th.

Saturday 10-1 doubles Avila 8th, Cabrera 10th,Iglesias 13th, Homeruns Castellanos 5th, Presley 1stAvila 8th,Upton 10th for 7 XBHs 15 hits Lead by Presley 3.

Zimmerman got his 5th win. Stumpf 0.1,Green 1.2, Leon 1.0 only gave a run.

Sunday game found Doubles by JD 4th,Hicks 4th. Homeruns JD10th,Upton 11th. Verlander had to leave the game with a groin injury! Saupoid 4.0 innings got team back on track. Stumpf Green, J Wilson 2-1 got them to the win.

18-39,15-38,10-34 = 43 for 111 = .387 11 doubles, 2 Triples, 9 Homeruns, pretty sure Chisox want to leave town.

Some Tiger leaders
Runs Upton 35, Kinsler 30, Castellanos 28, Iglesias 26, Romine 23
Doubles Iglesias 13!, Castellanos 12, Upton 12, Cabrera 10V-Mart,Avila 8
Triples Castellanos 3 Romine 2, Adduci 2 Six tied at 1
Homeruns Upton 11, JD 10 Avila 8 McCann 7!, Castellanos, V-Mart, Cabrera 5
ERA Fulmer 3.00
Wins Fulmer 6, Zimmerman 5,Verlander 4,
Game pitch Green 28, A Wilson 26, J Wilson 24
And as all ways the Good News is great news with a Tiger win(s).

Tigers have LA A in for 3. With Norris, Mystery pitcher, Fulmer 2 of 3 is needed sweep would be sweet. Twins just took them 2 out 3, got to match or do better. Then road for 3 at Bosox then back for 6 What a schedule. Angels 2-2 got to take 2of3,Bosox 3-1 got to go 2-1,Arizona 1-1 need 2-0, Tampa 0-3!! got to have 2-2, need 3-1, SD need 3-0, next 12 need 8-4 some way some how. Better would be great. Less would not.

The Good News game 59. The Tigers fell to 29-30

2B: Kinsler 8Avila 9V. Mart?nez 10,Castellanos 13,J.D. Martinez 5
HR: Castellanos 6.
Kinsler & Castellanos had 3 hits. And NC has hit in 7 straight games now. Going 10 for 25 = .400 Upton has 7 games as well 11 for 26=.432 Romine 11 for 31 =.354 in last 10 games.

Pitching wise the wagon needs new wheels.
Bosox next and it better be better.

simple base running , fielding, to many 3-0 pitching counts are adding up to often. The good news is some can be fixed

The Good News game 60. The Tigers fell to 29-31. !02 games left, starting to worry about some things.

Castellanos & Upton got a hit a peace to extend there streaks to 8 games. V-Mart 2 hits gets him to 4 games 6 for 15=.400 in those games. JD up to 5 in a row with his 2nd 3 hit game in last 10, going, 13 for 40 = .325. Mahtook hit in 5 games going 6 for 13=.461 2 hr's and a double. Iglesias is a hitting a little. Four three hit games in last 10 games. 15 for 37=.405
2b JD, 6th;HRs Castellanos 7th and Mahtook 4th w7th 11 hits and 2 walks got only three runs.

Pitching
Zimmerman 6 IP, 2 er, 6 hits, 3 bb, 3 k, were good. Green followed with a good 7th.
A Wilson has fallen on hard times. giving runs in3 of 4 games.

The good news is not happy today.

The Good News game 62 A Tiger win. At 30-32 I'm almost speechless.
Kinsler two hits gave him 11 for 34=.325 in last 9 games.
Castellanos 13- 39= .333,4 Hr's in last 10 hit games is nice.
About time the lead off guys got going.
Upton 10 game streak was a good one with a slam in his 3 hit game. 16 for 39=.410. Has raised his average to '269 from .246. With 4 homer in last 10 games.
Mahtook 7 game streak 9-22= .409
The offence has had some hitting lately, but have not gotten that many runs in that many games. Twenty 5 runs in TWO games are good for the average. Not so good for wins and losses.
The pitching has been catching it lately. One thing for sure is imo starting pitching is not going depth enough in games! The bull pen is not depth enough to handle the weight of the innings it is having to pitch. Tigers are 6 and 4 somehow in last 10 games. Need to build off of that.
And as all ways the Good News is great news with a Tiger win.

The Good News 63 Tigers 6-13-2017 bad loss.
Castellanos 11 game hitting streak.

Starting pitching, joke can not go 6,5,4,3 innings! Enough said.

The good news is not happy once again today.

What's the good news?

Today's good news, June 19, 2017: We're not the worse in the AL, yet.

I hate west coast trips. 6 straight games that start at 10:10 PM. I won't catch a single minute of any of them.

I can't either, my energy fades by 10:30 - 11:00, plus it doesn't help me sleep if I watch them late, late, and then get so f'n pissed I can't sleep because they pissed and stressed me out.
I usually check the score, when I make my old man middle of the night leak for these late games.

I can't either, my energy fades by 10:30 - 11:00, plus it doesn't help me sleep if I watch them late, late, and then get so f'n pissed I can't sleep because they pissed and stressed me out.
I usually check the score, when I make my old man middle of the night leak for these late games.

I remember when I was a kid and stay up listening to these games, my Mom and Dad thought I was a sleep :hehe: Anyway, I always fell asleep in the middle somewhere and awoke towards the end or when they had their recap. The recaps were the worse because I'm screaming just tell me the score.. They'd start with the NL scores, commercials, AL scores, more commercials and finally they'd recap the Tiger game.. :ugh:

The good ole days..

Last edited:
And worse when I'd miss the recap I'd go to school the next day, come home grab the paper and check if they won.. But they didn't post scores the next day after a west coach game.. Ugh again..

Last edited:
I remember when I was a kid and stay up listening to these games, my Mom and Dad thought I was a sleep :hehe: Anyway, I always fell asleep in the middle somewhere and awoke towards the end or when they had their recap. The recaps were the worse because I'm screaming just tell me the score.. They'd start with the NL scores, commercials, AL scores, more commercials and finally they'd recap the Tiger game.. :ugh:

The good ole days..

heh, heh, I had an old transistor radio I had under the pillow just loud enough to hear, and had to really "fine tune" it to get the Tigers station out in Boston.
Sometimes I got it, other times I didn't and had to bite my lip so I wouldn't swear, didn't want mom and dad to know I was listening to the game when
I had school next morning. It was a thrill to hear Ernie.

And worse when I'd miss the recap I'd go to school the next day, come home grab the paper and check if they won.. But they didn't post scores the next day after a west coach game.. Ugh again..

I forgot about that. Sometimes I would go an entire day not knowing if they won or not. Sometimes I would get the paper when they were just in KC or something and the game would end late and they wouldn't get the box score in....I was so pissed.

Now it's too easy. I get an update on my phone the second the game is over with a recap and box score.

Back