Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Blashill to Return

dubbsco

Haven't seen a thread on this yet.

News speaks for itself.

He definitely has a longer leash than Dave Lewis. But than again, Lewis wasn't from Detroit...

Blashill is a good coach, but he can't seem to get the Wings going on a consistent basis. He is failing in his job to keep the players motivated during the entire game.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gallant coming in as assistant coach and potentially replacing Blashill should (when) things go tits up next season.

Blashill to coach US at World Championships.
https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/blashill-named-head-coach-of-us-mens-national-team/c-288672572

As for the powerplay, I do recall that John Torchetti the assistant coach was assigned with that. The most frustrating thing with the PP was the incredibly poor breakout into opposition zone and reluctance to use the point. You have Green and Kronwall who can blast it from the point and you don't use them? For shame. Wings use more of an overload strategy and often use a single player to hold the line. Note I say player and NOT defenceman. Which is why Detroit was tied for third most shorthanded goals allowed with 9. They only scored 38 PP goals, tied for 4th worst.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/detroit-red-wings-hire-john-torchetti-assistant-coach/

I recall that Ferschweiler was the PP coach during Blashill's first season.

Red Wings Powerplay Percentage
2014-5: 23.5
2015-6: 18.8
2016-7: 15.1

I would expect another assistant coach shuffle like there was last season.

Back