Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Biggest Bust

inkfreq

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...-bust-evers-all-32-teams-all-flops-modern-era

So ESPN is ranking the biggest bust of the last 25 years for each team, and lists Andre Ware as the biggest Lions bust. Arguably, that's not a bad call.

I say though, it was Mike Williams. He started 6 games. He caught 37 passes and 2 TDs. He was the 10th overall pick, and worst of all, was the third straight 1st round pick by the Lions. They already had weed-head and Roy on the team, and invested ANOTHER 1st rounder into a WR that was reportedly "morbidly" overweight.

Ware was bad. Harrington was bad. Rogers was bad. No one was THAT bad.

Lynn Boden was that bad. So was Nick Eddy. David Lewis ranks right up there. Reggie Rogers is my #1 Lions' bust of all time. There should be one of him in the concourse.

Charles Rogers is worse than Mike W.

Mike sat a whole off-season and there were already big concerns about his weight going into the draft. That's more of a fault on Millen for drafting a kid that clearly didn't care about his body that high up.

Rogers had no indication whatsoever that he'd slow down in the NFL, he was a beast at MSU.

Last edited:
First name that came to mind was Charles Rogers. But I only started watching the Lions in the mid 90s so I missed Andre Ware.

It was either Harrington or Rogers for me. Harrington was supposed to be the savior and he was a joke of a QB. Rogers came in with red flags all over the place, so I wasn't surprised that he failed here. And like some other guys said, MW sat out a year. Then we drafted him lol. He actually made somewhat of a comeback a few yrs ago with the Seahawks too....

There's no doubt that Mike Williams was more of a bust because of Millen's piss poor choices. The fact that he was overweight, and a luxury pick on a horrible team just amplifies it. Had he just been any other #10 overall pick, he would still be a bust, but it wouldn't feel anywhere near AS bad.

Rogers at #2 was a YUGE bust, really in most way worse. But at least Millen was trying to land a WR. By the time he did it three years in a row, I just didn't have any words left to explain the frustration of it.

There's no doubt that Mike Williams was more of a bust because of Millen's piss poor choices. The fact that he was overweight, and a luxury pick on a horrible team just amplifies it. Had he just been any other #10 overall pick, he would still be a bust, but it wouldn't feel anywhere near AS bad.

Rogers at #2 was a YUGE bust, really in most way worse. But at least Millen was trying to land a WR. By the time he did it three years in a row, I just didn't have any words left to explain the frustration of it.

They should have drafted Andre Johnson over Rogers hands down...

And Williams wasn't supposed to be the savior by any means. Rogers and Joey Blue Skies were. Rogers was supposed to be the next Moss and Rice mix up lol. With Joe Mon..oops, Joey Harrington slinging the rock. Williams was the 3rd man in. Was he a bust? Big time, but not as big as Harrington and Rogers. Not even close in my eyes...

No doubt. I was rooting for them to draft AJ.

I remember going to Ford Field for that draft and me and some other friends were running late. I saw some dude all pissed off outside the stadium because we drafted CRog. I just started laughing and shaking my head...

For me.......Terry Fair or Mike Williams.

Chuck Rogers isn't on top of the list because of his injuries......Fair and Williams just simply weren't good enough football players.

Oh.....and Fair was the player picked before Randy Moss......which pisses me off.

There were warning signs about Charles Rogers that Millen ignored. He failed the combine drug test and he had also failed several at MSU. He could not stay away from weed. And I think being drafted by his hometown team made it worse. He didnt have to move and still then had all his boys around him.

There were warning signs about Charles Rogers that Millen ignored. He failed the combine drug test and he had also failed several at MSU. He could not stay away from weed. And I think being drafted by his hometown team made it worse. He didnt have to move and still then had all his boys around him.

THIS and the reason that he was ACTUALLY a pretty good football player but injuries and smoking weed derailed his career.... I feel like Chuck is for sure the bigger bust just because he was the second overall pick and SHOULD have been a good player for a long time where as BMW everyone knew we fucked up when we picked him.... I was on the Rogers bandwagon back then being a Sparty fan... :\

For me.......Terry Fair or Mike Williams.

Chuck Rogers isn't on top of the list because of his injuries......Fair and Williams just simply weren't good enough football players.

Oh.....and Fair was the player picked before Randy Moss......which pisses me off.

Holy shit! Fair is a good pick

Wtf was wrong with Millen? He had to have sabotaged this team on purpose. He set this team back 15 yrs for real lol. No? 12?

Last edited:
If Mike was drafted 2nd overall and was expected to become the next star WR that had to carry a team, I'd agree with the premise.

All the reasons of him being overweight, taking a year off, and being expected to be a cherry on top is why he's not a bigger bust than Rogers.

How about Chuck Long. High pick that did nothing. Harrington was gold compared to Chuck.

Last edited:
Lions draft busts......now THAT'S a target-rich situation.

Back