Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 15 Tigers & Rays April 20, 2017

Badfinger had more hits than the Tigers this afternoon.

tylercollins.jpg

Back at'cha, Tyler.

ROARS:
Ian Kinsler: He was responsible for the Tigers’ first and only run way back in the first inning.
Kinsler led off the game with a home run for the 41st time in his career.
That's more than any other player over the last 10 years. Kinsler is tied for seventh-most in baseball history since 1913, according to the team. He is one lead-off home run behind former Tiger Curtis Granderson.

JaCoby Jones’ defense: Jones made a leaping catch at the center field wall in the seventh to rob an extra-base hit from Rays third baseman Evan Longoria

HISSES:
Daniel Norris: He struggled all afternoon. He faced 25 batters in 4 2⁄3 innings, gave up eight hits, two walks, five runs (four earned) and struck out only two. He threw 101 pitches.
Norris lost for the first time in his career away from Detroit. Coming into Thursday, Norris had been 7-0 with a 2.77 ERA on the road.

Warwick Saupold: He started off OK, then threw batting practice, basically. He gave up three home runs in 3 1⁄3 innings of work.

Tigers offense: Too many 1-2-3 innings — the Tigers went down in order five times. They didn’t have more than one baserunner in an inning until the seventh.

STATS AND INFO:
The Tigers had not been swept by the Rays since July of 2010, and this is the TIgers’ first series loss of the season.

Norris gave up more than three earned runs for the first time since Sept 29, 2015.

Saupold was sent down to Toledo after the game, and Blaine Hardy was recalled.

I believe the Tigers now have the second worst run differential in the A.L.

For the first time in 22 starts, the Tigers left-handed pitcher allowed more than three earned runs.
It was the longest active streak in the major leagues, dating back to Aug. 7, 2015 against the Red Sox.
His streak of 16 road starts without a loss to start his career tied Todd Wellemeyer and Larry Jansen for the second-longest streak since at least 1913, according to Baseball-Reference.com.

Last edited:
That was a very bad series and the tigers were very unimpressive.

There are better scrubs out there somewhere then Collins and Jones. Tired of watching both play. Tired of watching McCann. He can't hit big league pitching. Tired of the same plodding over paid team with a bullpen who can't get anyone out.

There are better scrubs out there somewhere then Collins and Jones. Tired of watching both play. Tired of watching McCann. He can't hit big league pitching. Tired of the same plodding over paid team with a bullpen who can't get anyone out.

well, you better quit watching the Tigers then...this team isn't changing anytime soon. Nobody in the minors and a lot of aging veterans. I wanted them to blow this thing up last off season but that didn't happen.

John Hicks is hitting .424 down on the farm if McCann can't start hitting better.

Efren Navarro hitting .395 if we need another DH option for Log Jam

The dumbest series ever.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/4/21/15376530/detroit-tiger-links-rays-series-retrospective

Well that was stupid
Thursday was dumb, Wednesday night was especially dumb, and that series as a whole was stupid. Also dumb, but in a good way, is the fact that the Tigers are somehow tied for the division lead with the third worst run differential in the entire league.

We are a tenth of the way through the season and I still have no idea what to make of this team. It is easy to be overly negative about spotty starting pitching, underwhelming offense and the bullpen. But again, the team is still in first place!

So, I’d say save the negativity until things truly get bad. Besides, its JV day.

Injury update
Justin Upton sat yesterday and is considered day to day after his negative X-Rays. All in all the team should feel lucky considering how bad the injury initially looked.

Jose Iglesias was put on the 7 day concussion DL as he continues to undergo tests. The only silver lining here is JIMENEZ BACK!

And lastly, J.D. Martinez is dealing with a new issue, trying to stay sane while sidelined from his Lisfranc injury. I can sympathize, watching Tyler Collins’ last three games was great for my health either.

#Tigers Brad Ausmus got sick of softball FSD questions. Brought up defense on his own. Called it worst he's seen since he's been in Detroit.

Side note, I much appreciate this 2017 version of Brad Ausmus. The one that knows he’s getting fired if his team doesn’t produce. The sugar coating has left and does not appear to be coming back.

Last edited:
Back