Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Picture: Donald Trump meets with Sarah Palin, Kid Rock, and Ted Nugent

Gulo Blue

c93dmiiumayuy1w.jpg

What a terrifying conversation they must have had. Would pay just about anything to get the full audio and video of it.

4 great examples of our American meritocracy.

the cream rises to the top.

Wearing hats in the Oval Office seems to me to be declase.

Last edited:
Definitely d?class?.

If I was president, those are not the Michiganders I would invite to visit me.

Definitely d?class?.

If I was president, those are not the Michiganders I would invite to visit me.

Thanks for the spelling correction.

It's French so I don't feel too bad that I spelt it wrong.

My keyboard probably has the capability to make those accent marks, but I don't know how to do it.

If it were musicians, I would host Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin - Aretha wasn't born in Michigan but she's lived in Michigan since she was four years old.

My keyboard probably has the capability to make those accent marks, but I don't know how to do it..

Press and hold the 'alt' button, type '130', let go of the 'alt' button.

Edited to remove unneeded and unwanted information.

Last edited:
I'd invite Eminem & surviving members of D12, Aretha, Bob Seger, Iggy Pop, Smokey Robinson, and every Motown legend still alive.

Press and hold the 'alt' button, type '130', let go of the 'alt' button. I don't know that one off the top of my head, but I use '?' and '?' a lot.

oh, thanks Mr. Scientist, but we only need accent marks here not notations like those.

I'd invite Eminem & surviving members of D12, Aretha, Bob Seger, Iggy Pop, Smokey Robinson, and every Motown legend still alive.

There's two in the pic so I went with my top two. Sure, I would invite a lot more if it isn't limited to two.

Not Diana Ross nor Madonna?

I don't know if the Secret Service had a word of advice for Madonna after she made a comment that seemed a little threatening when all those broads got together that one day, but if they didn't they should have.

They had a word with Ted Nugent when he said things that seemed maybe a little threatening about Obama.

People shouldn't say shit like that no matter what they think of the president, no matter who the president happens to be at a given time.

You were really being more snooty than d?class?.

A good French word for snooty is francais.

It was a humble brag. "I confess, I don't know '?', but look what I do know." After I was called out for it, I felt differently. Probably not d?class?, but some kind of drop in board standing.

We keep this up, and maybe I'll remember how to type this.

Ah don't feel bad, 99.99% of the US population cannot pronounce D?troit correctly for the same reason. It is not pronounced De-Troy-It

detroit is the French word for "strait," referring to that type of body of water; the original name of the river was le d?troit du Lac ?rie; "The Strait of Lake Erie."

The city would end up being named after le detroit du Lac ?rie .

Based on its spelling, the anglicized pronunciation would be the way 99.9% of the US population pronounces it; the most well known dictionaries describe the pronunciation as being that way as well.

So you have a point and you're kind of right but I would also say that you're not entirely right.

I also think that more than .1% of the US population would be able to figure out what the French pronunciation would be, if asked to do so.

Last edited:
Ah don't feel bad, 99.99% of the US population cannot pronounce D?troit correctly for the same reason. It is not pronounced De-Troy-It

I have never, in all my 45 years, met a single person, US or not, who pronounced Detroit with 3 syllables.

:nuts:

detroit is the French word for "strait," referring to that type of body of water; the original name of the river was le d?troit du Lac ?rie; "The Strait of Lake Erie."

The city would end up being named after le detroit du Lac ?rie .

Based on its spelling, the anglicized pronunciation would be the way 99.9% of the US population pronounces it; the most well known dictionaries describe the pronunciation as being that way as well.

So you have a point and you're kind of right but I would also say that you're not entirely right.

I also think that more than .1% of the US population would be able to figure out what the French pronunciation would be, if asked to do so.

Dictionaries have pronounciations of cities?

Well, that is why you can always anglocize the names to prevent any confusion. Take for example how the name Grecki became Gretzky. 99%+ of the time the anglocized version is pronounced correctly.

Alas the problem lies with English language, mainly that you can have so many varied pronounciations from the same spelling.

The "Peasant Prince" is out of luck though. His name is way more difficult, most people would given just because it is too long. Although he does have a nice statue couple blocks from the Texas de Brasil downtown. Also seen a town bearing his name in the Borat movie when the guy is doing the weather.

I have never, in all my 45 years, met a single person, US or not, who pronounced Detroit with 3 syllables.

:nuts:

Compound vowel sounds when broken down are dual or even multi-syllabic, although when spoken normally don't sound that way.

Certainly the final syllable of "Detroit" isn't "oi IT" but more "o-eat" not uncommon with the Jewish compound vowel phrase "oy;" or when referring to Detroit - "Detroit? Oy!"

Just double checked; actually "Troy" in the post you quoted is already a two syllable compound vowel.

So that makes "De TROY it" four syllables.

Last edited:
Back