Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Favorite Authors

mine:

Nabokov
Hunter S. Thompson
Norman Mailer
Vonnegut

non-fiction:

Nietzsche
Bertrand Russell
Richard Dawkins
Colin McEvedy
Ron Chernow
Paul Krugman

Some of you posted Ken Follett, have you read Code to Zero? I love that book. I always thought it would make a good movie. But then again Hollywood would probably just fk it up.

And how could I forget my all time favorite, H.G. Wells. I could read him all day, even did a term paper about him and his life. Wonderful.

Nietzsche? Vonnegut? Just a little light reading :hmm:

Vonnegut, yes. Nietzsche... not as much.

I have a lot of other favorite books, but I only included authors who I have read multiple books by (i.e. no one-hit wonders).

mine:

Nabokov
Hunter S. Thompson
Norman Mailer
Vonnegut

non-fiction:

Nietzsche
Bertrand Russell
Richard Dawkins
Colin McEvedy
Ron Chernow
Paul Krugman

To fully understand how the American political system works, all a person truly has to do is read "The Making of the President;" 1960, Theodore H. White, and "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72;" Hunter S. Thompson, 1973.

Did you mean Ayn Rand?

yuck.

You probably won't appreciate this quote:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.​
Link.

I'm also a big fan of the facebook group: "Plugging the Gulf Oil Leak with the Works of Ayn Rand." It's so perfect in so many ways...

I dig the quote. Why wouldn't I?

http://xkcd.com/1049/
Hover over the comic to get the caption.

mine:

Nabokov
Hunter S. Thompson
Norman Mailer
Vonnegut

non-fiction:

Nietzsche
Bertrand Russell
Richard Dawkins
Colin McEvedy
Ron Chernow
Paul Krugman

If you have an interest in Russell you might look into Logicomix. I know I mentioned it before, but I can't remember if I mentioned that it's about him.

I like Steinbeck. The first book I read of his was Grapes of Wrath in H.S. and though not a big fan of it I enjoyed some of his other work.

Grapes of Wrath has some good parts but not my favorite by him. East of Eden is great, and I like his short reads Travels with Charley and To Our Winters Discontent. I just think he has a cool still and how he weaves stuff that doesn't directly relate to the book.

Some of you posted Ken Follett, have you read Code to Zero? I love that book. I always thought it would make a good movie. But then again Hollywood would probably just fk it up.

Yes.

I liked it, and also thought it would make a great movie, assuming Tom Cruise is not in it.

I have a stack of other Follett hardcovers on the shelf, maybe I'll start one when I'm finished with the book I'm reading now.

The Pillars of the Earth by Follet was probably my favorite of his, mainly because of the time the story covers.

I like Steinbeck. The first book I read of his was Grapes of Wrath in H.S. and though not a big fan of it I enjoyed some of his other work.

I think my favorite Steinbeck book is "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."

Then they made it into a movie starring Henry Fonda.

Back