Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What are you reading?

The Charm School - Nelson DeMille

A novel about a Soviet program that uses captured POW/MIA's to train Soviet Sleeper Agents as American Citizens.

7/10 I'd say.

Currently reading the 3rd Robert Langdon series the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

The Charm School - Nelson DeMille

A novel about a Soviet program that uses captured POW/MIA's to train Soviet Sleeper Agents as American Citizens.

7/10 I'd say.

That sounds like a good book though I'm not a big fan of DMille..Mayb I'll give it a shot.

Chesapeake by James Michener and Feast for Crows the 4th book in Game of Thrones series(A Song of Ice and Fire).

Just finished, The Confession - John Grisham.

Just started, Eaters of the Dead - Michael Crichton

I have been putting that off, because Angels and Demons was so horrible.

After DaVinci Code, I went back and read Deception Point. It kind of exposed his "recipe" to see it applied to 2 different subjects.

After DaVinci Code, I went back and read Deception Point. It kind of exposed his "recipe" to see it applied to 2 different subjects.

I thought Deception Point was similar to Cusslers Dirk Pitt novels.

Digital Fortress was okay, but after re-reading The DaVinci Code, I feel the book was more hype than it was good.

I thought Deception Point was similar to Cusslers Dirk Pitt novels.

Digital Fortress was okay, but after re-reading The DaVinci Code, I feel the book was more hype than it was good.

Deception point wasnt very good and Digital Fortress was just ok. I like the Langdon series but thought that Angels and Demons was the best and The DaVinci code was way over hyped. The Lost Symbol was pretty good though I had no complaints, other than I am sorta of tired of his formulaic writing.

Last edited:
Just finished 'Fevre Dream' By George Martin. One of his early works from 1982 well before the Dragon series.. Very fast read about Vampires and steam engines and the mighty Mississippi set in 1857.

Also finished 'Ship Breaker', By Paolo Bacigalupi (2011) set in his future world of no oil and the collapse of our way of life... He is very good Both this book and his 'The Wind-up Girl' won awards... I am reading the sequel to ship breaker called 'The Drowned Cities' 2012.. Also trying to finish up World War Z, and the fifth Dragon book by Martian and I am having trouble with both...

Last edited:
Spreading myself a bit thin right now cause I'm going back to college in August and will only be doing required reading for a chile:

Major United Methodist Beliefs by Mack B Spokes... recently started attending a UMC, and wanted a better understanding of their beliefs.

Implosion by Joel Rosenberg... interesting read on America's fiscal and moral dilemma from a christian perspective. Also talks about the 1st and 2nd Great Awakenings, and discusses possible reasons why America is not named in Bible prophecies.

Dance of Dragons by George R.R. Martin... latest in "A song of Ice and Fire" series. Only gotten a few chapters in.

Chesapeake by James Michener and Feast for Crows the 4th book in Game of Thrones series(A Song of Ice and Fire).

How's Onkor doing? I used to read Michener all the time. I have a full shelf of hardcover Michener. I think some of them are 1st editions. There was a huge stack of them in one of the used bookstores in Ann Arbor.

It was a good book, I will probably pick up some of his other books soon. That is a pretty good collection. I have just read the first 2 "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" books and am reading the 3rd now.

Just finished "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, and started in on the next in the series "The Wise Man's Fear". I rate the first one 7/10 - it is a great story. Sort of Harry Potter meets the Hobbit, but a bit darker and more serious. It is meant for a bit younger reader, but I enjoyed it. Anyone else reading this series? Book three is due out closer to Christmas.

Also, I am in the middle of one of Cussler's series - Kurt Austin and the NUMA adventures. Finished Medusa in July, got 4 or 5 more to go. Not exactly sure how many total there are, but when I get there I am sure I will find out.

Having not been to this forum in awhile, I thought I would comment on Dan Brown. After DaVinci, I went back and read "Deception Point" and "Digital Fortress". So far I have liked all of his that I read. "Angels and Demons" was good but I would probably put that at the bottom if forced to choose. "Lost Symbol" will be read in the not too distant future. I suppose if you really like the formula, you don't get all that tired of it. I have heard the same things as posted above about "Lost Symbol" but will read it anyway.

"The Sheltering Sky" by Paul Bowles, & "You Can Be A Wall Street Genius" by Joel Greenblatt. The latter has a stupid title, but is a solid book re: investing. "Democracy in America" by de Tocqueville is on my bedside table, but is slooooooow going.

"Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" now. Just finished all the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" books.

I just finished 'How Will You Measure Your Life' by Clayton Christensen, and 'Off Balance' by Matthew Kelly. Both were really good reads and complement each other well. I'm about halfway through 'The Essential HR Handbook' by Sharon Armstrong, which I thought was a good one to read given a lot of the issues I have to deal with in my position at work, and I just started listening to 'The Fountainhead' by Ayn Rand since my sister got me an Audible membership for Christmas.

I have a big stack of other books I need to get to soon. I always buy more than I have time to read, but I'll get to them eventually. LOL!

Back