Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU @ Rutgers

LuciousGameWinner

All I have to say is that Tum Tum will win MSU a championship before he is gone.

All I have to say is that Tum Tum will win MSU a championship before he is gone.

big ten? i'm down with that

you can't write a player off so early, I just see him ever being a great jump shooter. I see him as more of a travis walton type

also, Rutgers looks like a dirty basketball team. i've never said that about a big ten team before but I saw a number of cheap shots tonight

also, Rutgers looks like a dirty basketball team. i've never said that about a big ten team before but I saw a number of cheap shots tonight

Jersey Shore? They have no place in the B10, not a good fit for our conference.

tonight may have been Dawson's best game of the year too

17 points on 7 shots, 5-7 from the line, 11 boards, 4 steals, 4 assists, 2 blocks. you can't do much better than that

Well, we did just beat Rutgers by 20 last night and tum tum made a few reverse layups so....

I'm thinking win sunday and go 6-3 halfway through the big ten schedule with two road wins. if we can duplicate that in the second half I'd be happy with this team

Tum Tum is the fastest point guard Izzo has had in a long long time. This team struggles in the half court and needs a player who can push the ball and get fast break opportunities. With Harris as the backcourt mate it'll be fun to watch.

Tum Tum will be a good player when it's all said and done, but he has a long way to go. He is fast, but does not yet know how to play under control. And he's too hyper out there. I think that's part of his problem with shooting/finishing. The form doesn't look bad on his shot, but he rushes things and seems to lack confidence in that area. Hyper and out of control is not a good thing to be when you're trying to shoot or finish plays.

That said, he seems like the type of player who has the work ethic required to make whatever improvements are necessary.

I didn't see the game, but it seems looking at the stats that Forbes performed well being back in a starting role. I didn't care for the move of bringing him off the bench and it seemed to affect his productivity negatively. I know Izzo thought he needed a shooter off the bench, but this team seems to function best when it's making shots, and it should probably have 3 shooters on the floor more often than not. Too offensively challenged with a front-line of Bess, Dawson, and Schilling.

Last edited:
Tum Tum will be a good player when it's all said and done, but he has a long way to go. He is fast, but does not yet know how to play under control. And he's too hyper out there. I think that's part of his problem with shooting/finishing. The form doesn't look bad on his shot, but he rushes things and seems to lack confidence in that area. Hyper and out of control is not a good thing to be when you're trying to shoot or finish plays.

That said, he seems like the type of player who has the work ethic required to make whatever improvements are necessary.

I didn't see the game, but it seems looking at the stats that Forbes performed well being back in a starting role. I didn't care for the move of bringing him off the bench and it seemed to affect his productivity negatively. I know Izzo thought he needed a shooter off the bench, but this team seems to function best when it's making shots, and it should probably have 3 shooters on the floor more often than not. Too offensively challenged with a front-line of Bess, Dawson, and Schilling.

FYI Forbes only started because Bess hurt his ankle in practice the other day and was limited. I think Izzo likes the substitution pattern with bringing forbes on the bench. if you play Tum and Bess for a long stretch you don't have a lot of shooters on the perimeter

And I think Izzo is overthinking it. Your 5 best players should start, unless you're really stacked at a particular position. Someone who is a double figure scorer, especially on this team, should start. Then you figure things out from there with the substitutions.

And I think Izzo is overthinking it. Your 5 best players should start, unless you're really stacked at a particular position. Someone who is a double figure scorer, especially on this team, should start. Then you figure things out from there with the substitutions.

disagree on that, Forbes will play starters minutes, they just don't want a shaky offensive lineup out there. they generally sub after the under 16 timeout, they bring Costello in and two other players, if you bring Bess and Tum in, you have a lineup where only one guy, valentine, can hit a jump shot. there's only one basketball so when we have a lineup heavy in shooters, like Trice, Valentine, and Forbes, you have a lot of threats, when you take two of those guys you you're limited. sometimes you see MSU have big runs and then give it all back a few minutes later like the NW game, that has a lot to do with substitution patterns.

We looked good, but to say we're going to win a National Title with him is crazy I think

yeah, that was sarcasm - i'm in complete agreement with you on that one. They may win a National Championship in his tenure if they land a few more McDonald's AA's in addition to Davis, but unless Tum Tum improves at a rate rarely seen, it won't be because of him...

I'm thinking win sunday and go 6-3 halfway through the big ten schedule with two road wins. if we can duplicate that in the second half I'd be happy with this team

Making the tournament is still the ceiling for this team. Michigan losing Levert for the season helps because we have a better chance of winning both those games but I still don't see any games that are automatic Ws on the balance of the schedule.

Back