Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ex-Tiger/Twin Joel Zumaya retiring

turok

Apparently Zumaya can't or won't try to make a comeback after TJS, and will retire, another Tigers pitcher ala Mark Fidrych who burned bright for a season, but frequent arm and shoulder injuries took their toll. Still don't believe his story that he injured his shoulder while removing boxes from his father's attic, and more inclined to think that his young and reckless behavior contributed to his demise as a MLB RP.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/02/report_former_detroit_tigers_r_2.html

I remember that last game he pitched for us, when you could hear his arm snap while throwing a fastball on live TV.

I remember that last game he pitched for us, when you could hear his arm snap while throwing a fastball on live TV.

Yeah, I also watched that game. Plus you could hear him howl in pain as well.

Zumaya pitched the equivalent of 1 season that a decent MLB SP would, a bit <210 innings over 5 seasons, not counting the '06 postseason or ST. He made ~$4.2 M during his MLB career, according to BBR, but he could have made much more had he remained healthy.

Last edited:
I remember Dickerson thought he was going to be sick after hearing and seeing what happened. The crack was clearly audible on the radio, then he just grabbed his elbow. Dickerson and Prince were both just saying "oh no, oh no".

One of the most electrifying players I ever watched for two consecutive seasons.
Mark The Bird Fidrych was another.

Both were Tigers. Pedro, Ryan and Roger were three more that glued me to their live games.
There were a few more. But not at the level of those-5.
Many had one season of magnificence. Ichiro when he flirted with batting .400. Gwynn, Brett and Carew also.
Then we had the likes of Maris, Bonds, McLain and Aaron.........etc.....etc. I could go-on.

Last edited:
I went to my wife's company picnic in August of '06, and the hosts wanted us to sign and wear nametags, so I signed mine as "Joel Zumaya".

Back