Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

That does it fans shouldn't be allowed to vote

Blake Swihart, who has been on the DL most of the year so far, is 5th at C, but he had already lost his starting C job and moved to LF before the DL stint.

When Brandon Inge can get voted into the All Star game, that is when it lost all credibility. That, and that every team gets a representative player (Robert Fick).

All Star selections are just as bad as Gold Glove selections. They are not based on credible criteria. I have not watched an All Star/Pro Bowl event in years. Whether it is NHL, NBA, MLB or NFL, they all have their issues.

Blake Swihart, who has been on the DL most of the year so far, is 5th at C, but he had already lost his starting C job and moved to LF before the DL stint.

When Brandon Inge can get voted into the All Star game, that is when it lost all credibility. That, and that every team gets a representative player (Robert Fick).

All Star selections are just as bad as Gold Glove selections. They are not based on credible criteria. I have not watched an All Star/Pro Bowl event in years. Whether it is NHL, NBA, MLB or NFL, they all have their issues.

Inge at least was on pace for 40 homers and 100 RBI through the first half of the season that year (not that I like defending Inge). But yes, it means little unfortunately.

Inge at least was on pace for 40 homers and 100 RBI through the first half of the season that year (not that I like defending Inge). But yes, it means little unfortunately.

I really am not a "fan" of the fan vote. Inge does not make the team without the fan vote, which started in 2009, the year he makes it.

Fans vote for the 8 position starters

Players, Manager and Coaches vote for 8 position backups

Managers round out the team of 33 (34 with fan vote), ensuring each team has a representative.

As good of a 1st half Inge had, he was easily just the 2nd or 3rd best 3B in the AL that first half, slightly ahead of Scott Rolen. He got voted in by the fans, making him the 3rd or 4th (Youkilis) AL 3B on the team and that didn't include Rolen or Longoria (voted as starter, but did not play due to injuries).

1. Interleague play as diluted the intense and legit rivalry the two leagues had a generation ago.
2. Player salaries increase reluctance to participate and risk injury, so they play that way, too.
3. When 34 players are on the roster and so many are last-minute replacements, and everyone gets in, who cares?
4. If the "right players" were picked and not the "best players" it would hold more interest for me, but I don't watch anymore, either.

At least football has 3 sections voting: Fans, players, coaches. But I suspect even players in the NFL have their favorites when they vote..

I won't lie, when I was in little league and we voted "who should be an all star" by secret ballot I voted for myself. Total votes I got, one. I so deserved it.

Last edited:
Back