Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

Kriced sakes almighty yankees are going to score 8 runs a game for the next 10 years

The Marlins might be worse than the Tigers this year....

How can there be a single person who still calls themselves a Marlins fan after the shit they’ve been through the past 20 years?

How can there be a single person who still calls themselves a Marlins fan after the shit they?ve been through the past 20 years?

I always said regardless the two world series it would suck to sell everyone off, then buy big again and then do they same thing over again. I would hate to be a fan of that team. A world series isn't that important.

I always said regardless the two world series it would suck to sell everyone off, then buy big again and then do they same thing over again. I would hate to be a fan of that team. A world series isn't that important.

I agree. Every time you get remotely talented your owner spits in your face as a fan and dumps them all for the almighty dollar? Give me a 20 year period with a core of players and some moderate success over 18 years of absolute ineptitude /apathy and 2 titles. Having said that, I’d rather have been a White Sox fan the last 20 years than Tigers. They won a title, had some decent seasons sprinkled in, and had an owner that didn’t decimate their team every few years.

Last edited:
Since the Marlins have been in existence they have a 1870-2111 record and 2 WS championships. They were over .500 6 times. In that same time period the Tigers have a 1879-2100 record, no WS championships and over 0.500 9 times.

Since the Marlins have been in existence they have a 1870-2111 record and 2 WS championships. They were over .500 6 times. In that same time period the Tigers have a 1879-2100 record, no WS championships and over 0.500 9 times.

Last 20 Years

In excess of 2.5 Mil in Attendance

DET = 9 times
MIA = 0 times

In excess of 2.0 Mil in Attendance

DET = 15 times
MIA = 1 times

Without attendance, it is virtually improbable to have payroll where you can keep star players. Mike Stanton's contract was prohibitive when it was executed and doomed the Marlins if he stayed.

Keep in mind, most of this was done with Jeff Loria as owner. He did very similar things with Montreal Expos when he owned them.

Difference is I know you're about team success only but I like and care about some of the players who play for favorite team. If I was young I'd hate to have a team I like, everyone traded. Another team I like, everyone traded.

It happens but with the Marlins it happens much more often. Pretty soon the whole team is knew.. They just bought a WS. '84 was so great because most of the core was all drafted players and took a few years.

Last edited:
Last 20 Years

In excess of 2.5 Mil in Attendance

DET = 9 times
MIA = 0 times

In excess of 2.0 Mil in Attendance

DET = 15 times
MIA = 1 times

Without attendance, it is virtually improbable to have payroll where you can keep star players. Mike Stanton's contract was prohibitive when it was executed and doomed the Marlins if he stayed.

Keep in mind, most of this was done with Jeff Loria as owner. He did very similar things with Montreal Expos when he owned them.

that makes it even more amazing that the two franchises have had such similar success in that timeframe

The new Bash Bros...just wait till they bat vs what passes for Tigers' pitching next season.

An arms race could be brewing in the AL east. Watch Boston get JD this year and Harper next year. Would not even be fair! LOL

An arms race could be brewing in the AL east. Watch Boston get JD this year and Harper next year. Would not even be fair! LOL

Yeah, Stanton going to NY will probably force Bos into splurging on JD...ugh.

Rather JD go back to Hou, remain with AZ, or to Sea...dislike LAA and Tex too much to see him sign with those two clubs.
There are no clubs in the ALED, other than maybe Tor, where I would be okay with it, and I doubt TB would spring for the contract he would get in FA. Likely none of our ALCD rivals will either.

Last edited:
Boston is the ideal fit. They have the money and they really don't have a DH after 2019

How can there be a single person who still calls themselves a Marlins fan after the shit they’ve been through the past 20 years?

Same here...and where is our bling to show for the same two decades?....ppl seem to forget how gawdawful and humiliating the first decade and our 3 more postseason *facepalm* series finishes in the second were. Didn't win a single game in '14 postseason, despite 4 freaking current/eventual CY SPs, so I discount it.

Div titles: Tigers 4 Marlins 2

WCs: Tigers 1 Marlins 0

DS: Tigers 4 Marlins 2

Pennants: Tigers 2 Marlins 2

WSCs: Tigers 0 Marlins 2

Now that Loria no longer owns the Marlins, we will see which franchise will become competitive, then contenders again the soonest. I don't see Chris Ilitch overspending on marquee FAs, and AA doesn't have the pieces to trade off, when the club will be looking for better of the same type but prospectively.

Last edited:

I suppose they finished over .500 more than I thought they have. However, how many of those years were fans actually engaged and there was a real belief that the team could contend? The Braves and Phillies always were head and shoulders better for the bulk of that time. They may have finished above .500, but I have a feeling they were never really in a playoff hunt. There were several tigers seasons I can think of that they contended throughout the year and missed playoffs, as frustrating as it is to miss/choke at least it was engaging.

Since 2006 (Last 12 years)

DET 1014-929 .522 WPCT (9 years .500 or better, 5 playoffs)

MIA 907-1035 .467 WPCT (2 years .500 or better, 0 playoffs)

Average Attendance

DET = 2,757,192

MIA = 1,483,406

Almost double and it is proportional to payroll for both teams.

DET will be hard pressed to top 2 Mil in attendance if they are a losing team. In that regards, they will not be much different than the Marlins recent attendances.

With Stanton, MIA had $135 Mil committed to their 25-man roster in 2018, more than the $134 Mil currently committed by DET. DET might still top 2 Mil in attendance next year, but the Marlins probably weren't.

Back