Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Xbox kinect question

jever4321

So santa's thinking about bringing home the xbox and kinect for my little squirts xmas gift this year. Can anyone explain to me why I would need 256MB unit for $400? Can I get away with a 4MB unit for $200? Is xbox better than PS3? I'm sofa king confused.

Man I miss the Atari 2600!

Jever4321 said:
So santa's thinking about bringing home the xbox and kinect for my little squirts xmas gift this year. Can anyone explain to me why I would need 256MB unit for $400? Can I get away with a 4MB unit for $200? Is xbox better than PS3? I'm sofa king confused.

Man I miss the Atari 2600!

It's GB, not MB.

It refers to the size of the HDD that is what the 360 uses to store files.

The Elite 250 GB ones are $399, and the basic 4GB ones are $199, both these prices iirc are without the Kinect bundle, which itself is $99.

The 4 GB version would be fine unless you (or your kiddies) are pretty hardcore into saving several profiles on several games, eating up the available space, and you can always delete obsolete files if you find you're low on space.

The Xbox 360 Kinect bundle is $299 most places and includes the 4GB console plus Kinect, and Kinect Adventures game.

The is Xbox 360 better than PS3 is a tough argument, both have advantages and disadvantages, and you are likely to get a ton of differing opinions, for most it comes down to title exclusivity (some titles are only available on 360 examples: Halo, Gears of War, and some only on PS3: Little Big Planet, MLB: the Show) though PS# does offer a couple of features that Xbox does not, Blu-Ray player, and Playstation Network is free I believe, while Xbox Live is a subscription service.

Hope this helps you out.

P.S. I have a working Atari 2600 I still play from time to time. ;)

i also love the Uncharted series on ps3. as for kinect, ive heard from people that while it can be fun it is VERY picky about the movements you use and can be really frustrating. for the 4GB vs 250GB, id never get the 4GB myself because the space can fill up quickly depending on what you do on it, but you might be fine with it.

depending on how old they are and whether or not you already have a Wii, id recommend that over either of the other ones if theyre, say, under 10 or so. otherwise its a toss-up. i have a ps3 (and a wii) b/c i dont want any of the xbox exclusives while i did want some ps3 ones. my brother, however, has both and uses both a lot. if a lot of their friends already have one system or the other, it might be a good idea to get the system to match so they can play online together and whatnot. im sorry if i wasnt much help lol

Thanks for the responses. My squirts are 6, and we have the Wii which they love. They want some sonic game with 2 sonics?? We saw the commercial and it said it was only available on xbox, ps3, and the 3D DS. I was always a playstation guy. I had both 1 and 2, so I always just figured i would get the PS3, but my better half thinks the kinect would be fun. I don't know how many GB the Wii has? My kids make about a million profiles...

dude, unless your kids are downloading stuff (movies, games, etc) from xbox live, get the 4GB. You should never run out of space unless you're downloading.

it can fill up if you install the games to the HD, but you dont have to do that (thats the reason my brother suggested i get a 250GB, i dont like load times XD). the sonic game they want is Sonic Generations, and it is indeed not on the wii.

if you were a playstation guy and still have a lot of the games, i suggest you buy a used PS3 rather than a new one or a 360. for one, most of the 360 exclusives are M rated games that your kids likely wont be playing for a while, so unless you REALLY wanna play gears of war or something you wouldnt miss them. as for the used ps3s, an original 60GB one is your best bet. all of those are fully backward compatible with both ps1 and ps2 games. many, but not all, 80GB ones are fully backward compatible (some wont play ps2 games) so unless you knew exactly which model you got it would be a crap shoot. new slim ones can only play ps1 games and not ps2 games. ive heard the older ones are also a lot more reliable than the slim ones. ive had my fully backward compatible 80GB one for 3.5 years and its been through several moves without so much as a hiccup.

im not as knowledgeable on the 360 since i dont have one, aside from the fact that the new black ones are much, much more reliable than the older white ones so i wouldnt recommend getting a used one. as far as kinect being fun, like i said ive seen both positive and negative things about it, but since you already have a wii you probably dont need another motion control setup. some of the games/game types are redundant between the two (such as nearly all the dancing games). i myself wouldnt get one, but its personal preference really.

btw monster, i like the new name lol

Spockmaster said:
it can fill up if you install the games to the HD, but you dont have to do that (thats the reason my brother suggested i get a 250GB, i dont like load times XD). the sonic game they want is Sonic Generations, and it is indeed not on the wii.

if you were a playstation guy and still have a lot of the games, i suggest you buy a used PS3 rather than a new one or a 360. for one, most of the 360 exclusives are M rated games that your kids likely wont be playing for a while, so unless you REALLY wanna play gears of war or something you wouldnt miss them. as for the used ps3s, an original 60GB one is your best bet. all of those are fully backward compatible with both ps1 and ps2 games. many, but not all, 80GB ones are fully backward compatible (some wont play ps2 games) so unless you knew exactly which model you got it would be a crap shoot. new slim ones can only play ps1 games and not ps2 games. ive heard the older ones are also a lot more reliable than the slim ones. ive had my fully backward compatible 80GB one for 3.5 years and its been through several moves without so much as a hiccup.

im not as knowledgeable on the 360 since i dont have one, aside from the fact that the new black ones are much, much more reliable than the older white ones so i wouldnt recommend getting a used one. as far as kinect being fun, like i said ive seen both positive and negative things about it, but since you already have a wii you probably dont need another motion control setup. some of the games/game types are redundant between the two (such as nearly all the dancing games). i myself wouldnt get one, but its personal preference really.

thank you and I can confirm that the black 360's are much more reliable. I had a white one a few years ago...it lasted two months before Red Ring of Death. I've had the new black one since February and it runs great.

Oh and jever....next year you need to get your kids the Wii U. It looks freaking awesome! You can also buy me one and send it to my home address.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
Spockmaster said:

thank you and I can confirm that the black 360's are much more reliable. I had a white one a few years ago...it lasted two months before Red Ring of Death. I've had the new black one since February and it runs great.

Oh and jever....next year you need to get your kids the Wii U. It looks freaking awesome! You can also buy me one and send it to my home address.
I'll have that Wii U over to you STAT! ;)

Thanks for all the input everyone. Lots of good points I hadn't thought of, super helpful.

Seeing that you posted the ages of your children now, I would recommend the Xbox 360 with Kinect, over the PS3.

If they had been older I might suggest the PS3, which probably appeals to more intense gamers and online gamers.

If they love the Wii, they are bound to like Kinect even more.

Just my 3 cents.

Back