Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dodgers start a week early

tomdalton22

I knew that the Dodgers were going to start with a few games in Austrailia but I didn't realize it was going to be a week before every other team started. This was stupid and kind of unfair. This gives them a chance to start their ace (best pitcher in baseball) and their #2 in their first 4 games of the season. That would be like the Tigers' first 5 game starters being: JV, Max, JV, Max, Sanchez.

Definitely a down year

The Tigers are already tied for the 2nd worst record in the league!

I knew that the Dodgers were going to start with a few games in Austrailia but I didn't realize it was going to be a week before every other team started. This was stupid and kind of unfair. This gives them a chance to start their ace (best pitcher in baseball) and their #2 in their first 4 games of the season. That would be like the Tigers' first 5 game starters being: JV, Max, JV, Max, Sanchez.

16 hour flight times and 6 time zones. I am sure anyone who has flown from Asia to the US will attest to the "jet lag", let alone the 16 hours on a plane. And we generally worry about "West Coast" travel.

16 hour flight times and 6 time zones. I am sure anyone who has flown from Asia to the US will attest to the "jet lag", let alone the 16 hours on a plane. And we generally worry about "West Coast" travel.

Yes...it was probably a long flight but that really has nothing to do with my original post.

Starting a week earlier so they can recover from the long travels and the media circus.

Did you expect then to go to Australia, following night to Cincinnati?

Trust me, that is a brutal flight and I can only imagine the player's hate for it all. George Brett would have been a walking, bloody roid.

Did you expect then to go to Australia, following night to Cincinnati?

No, I don't expect them to go to Australia at all. Of course I also didn't expect them to go to Australia more than a full week before the start of the season, play 2 games then return home to play an additional 3 spring training games prior to resuming their season all while getting the advantage of starting Kershaw and their #2 for their second opening series. Like I said to begin with.....stupid!

No, I don't expect them to go to Australia at all. Of course I also didn't expect them to go to Australia more than a full week before the start of the season, play 2 games then return home to play an additional 3 spring training games prior to resuming their season all while getting the advantage of starting Kershaw and their #2 for their second opening series. Like I said to begin with.....stupid!

I don't think an extra start really that much..I also don't like teams traveling to other countries for games.

Yes...it was probably a long flight but that really has nothing to do with my original post.

Rights, because the standing in the first week will mean so much.

It's really no different than a rainout on the day your #5 is supposed to go, and the next day starting your #1 on his regular schedule, Tigers have done this plenty. Porcello has missed starts every year because of off days and letting the Verlander keep his regular 5 days routine.

It's a non-issue.

Rights, because the standing in the first week will mean so much.

It's really no different than a rainout on the day your #5 is supposed to go, and the next day starting your #1 on his regular schedule, Tigers have done this plenty. Porcello has missed starts every year because of off days and letting the Verlander keep his regular 5 days routine.

It's a non-issue.

but a rain out is different than MLB scheduling a team to play 2 games a full week ahead of everybody else.

Like I said in the first post...stupid and a little unfair.

but a rain out is different than MLB scheduling a team to play 2 games a full week ahead of everybody else.

Like I said in the first post...stupid and a little unfair.

I agree it is stupid.

However, I think it hurts both teams more than it helps.

I actually think it's unfair for the two teams. They have less time to evaluate players during ST, and also run the risk of their regulars not being ready after only 5 weeks of camp. It's less unfair for the Dodgers, simply because they have Kershaw and Ryu lol.. but hey. I feel for the D-backs. I like their franchise, and they keep trading/blocking their own top pitching prospects in order to let guys like McCarthy, Arroyo, Cahill, and Collmenter hold down a less than mediocre starting staff. Archie Bradley should be on that team, no doubt. For as good as Kevin Towers is at drafting, he's horrible about handling his prospects. He traded his top two position prospects to the white sox this offseason for what?! Addison Reed? Also traded Trevor Bauer last offseason for Didi Gregorious. If they had a true staff ace, they'd be a force out there.

mlb needs a better way to expand the game and at not the expense of 2 teams.

Addison reed is a missing piece and who's to say if those prospects pan out...aka miggy for our top 2 at the time who have not amounted to anything. I think the diamondbacks are a lot closer to a title than the whitesox.

Last edited:
I actually think it's unfair for the two teams. They have less time to evaluate players during ST, and also run the risk of their regulars not being ready after only 5 weeks of camp. It's less unfair for the Dodgers, simply because they have Kershaw and Ryu lol.. but hey. I feel for the D-backs. I like their franchise, and they keep trading/blocking their own top pitching prospects in order to let guys like McCarthy, Arroyo, Cahill, and Collmenter hold down a less than mediocre starting staff. Archie Bradley should be on that team, no doubt. For as good as Kevin Towers is at drafting, he's horrible about handling his prospects. He traded his top two position prospects to the white sox this offseason for what?! Addison Reed? Also traded Trevor Bauer last offseason for Didi Gregorious. If they had a true staff ace, they'd be a force out there.

Just being "anal" here, but both you and Greenbeerd13 are the only ones to mention this guy's name and you both misspell it the same way. Hmmmm

Just being "anal" here, but both you and Greenbeerd13 are the only ones to mention this guy's name and you both misspell it the same way. Hmmmm

Sometimes I don't know how to spell a specific name so I copy and paste from someone else. It probably happened that way..

Back