Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ESPN sucking off Trout some more..

sggatecl

Detroit City FC
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
So I go to the ESPN home page and I see under the heading "Highlight of the Night" and "He's So Money" a picture of Mike Trout with the following: "Mike Trout -- he of the $144.5M deal -- produced quite an opening act Monday night"

So naturally I check the box score to see if he went 5 for 5 or something crazy.

He went 2-4 with 1 HR and 1 SO. The Angels lost 10-3.

What the fuck is wrong with that network!? It's like they had decided before opening day that they'd be using that for their main story.

At least Trout didn't sign with the Yankees...ESPN might have exploded.

I refuse to watch any of their horse shit shows and programming for any sport.
If I absolutely have to, like a Tigers game, then the sound is muted.
Their announcers and those on their talk or tower of babble sports shows are all buffoons and a-holes. I want to punch bayless, wilbon, smith, etc. in their collective throats.
The push is on to whore themselves for trout. Two years of Miggy Winning the MVP is two too much for those that are saber only.

Truthfully, I don't watch much of the mlb network anymore either.
Fuck brian kenny and his complete smug/arrogance in completely not giving Cabrera any credit for being the great hitter he is and condemning the writers for voting him MVP or trout the past 2 years. Too many dipshits on that baseball network. and harold reynolds needs a toupee with some brains in it.
My suspicions were correct when they first started the network and had barry larkin on and everyone on at that time was pushing him for the hall of fame, and not a whisper or mention of Trammell's name.

Last edited:
So I go to the ESPN home page and I see under the heading "Highlight of the Night" and "He's So Money" a picture of Mike Trout with the following: "Mike Trout -- he of the $144.5M deal -- produced quite an opening act Monday night"

So naturally I check the box score to see if he went 5 for 5 or something crazy.

He went 2-4 with 1 HR and 1 SO. The Angels lost 10-3.

What the fuck is wrong with that network!? It's like they had decided before opening day that they'd be using that for their main story.

I did the exact same thing!

Thought he would have had 2 or 3 bombs or couple highlight reel catches.......nope. Just a good game on a night they got their ass beat.

However, I can understand the overall love for this kid. He's 22.....had 2 HOF seasons....seems to be a good guy....plays the game the right way and has an ENTIRE career ahead of him. There is a good chance we are watching the next Mickey Mantle. I hope he stays healthy and clean (no PEDs).....career numbers might be off the charts if he does!!

I refuse to watch any of their horse shit shows and programming for any sport.
If I absolutely have to, like a Tigers game, then the sound is muted.
Their announcers and those on their talk or tower of babble sports shows are all buffoons and a-holes. I want to punch bayless, wilbon, smith, etc. in their collective throats.
The push is on to whore themselves for trout. Two years of Miggy Winning the MVP is two too much for those that are saber only.

Truthfully, I don't watch much of the mlb network anymore either.
Fuck brian kenny and his complete smug/arrogance in completely not giving Cabrera any credit for being the great hitter he is and condemning the writers for voting him MVP or trout the past 2 years. Too many dipshits on that baseball network. and harold reynolds needs a toupee with some brains in it.
My suspicions were correct when they first started the network and had barry larkin on and everyone on at that time was pushing him for the hall of fame, and not a whisper or mention of Trammell's name.

Sorry to disagree with you Kaline, I also do not believe that Tram belongs in the HOF.

I don't watch ESPN much either, especially their baseball coverage. It is awful. I do like their Sunday football coverage, however.

Sorry to disagree with you Kaline, I also do not believe that Tram belongs in the HOF.

I don't watch ESPN much either, especially their baseball coverage. It is awful. I do like their Sunday football coverage, however.

it's there for discussion, but it is very close statistically.
plus the similarity scores from baseball reference.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/f...arkiba01:Barry Larkin&st=career&compage=&age=

Gray Ink Batting - 66 (385), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 120 (118), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 47 (100), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS Shortstop (13th), 70.2 career WAR/43.1 7yr-peak WAR/56.6 JAWS
Average HOF SS (out of 21) = 66.7 career WAR/42.8 7yr-peak WAR/54.7 JAWS

Trammell
http://www.baseball-reference.com/f...ammal01:Alan Trammell&st=career&compage=&age=

Gray Ink Batting - 48 (524), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 118 (121), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 40 (161), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS Shortstop (11th), 70.4 career WAR/44.6 7yr-peak WAR/57.5 JAWS

I did the exact same thing!

Thought he would have had 2 or 3 bombs or couple highlight reel catches.......nope. Just a good game on a night they got their ass beat.

However, I can understand the overall love for this kid. He's 22.....had 2 HOF seasons....seems to be a good guy....plays the game the right way and has an ENTIRE career ahead of him. There is a good chance we are watching the next Mickey Mantle. I hope he stays healthy and clean (no PEDs).....career numbers might be off the charts if he does!!

I agree with this. There should be excitement with this kid. He is 22 and is probably the best player in the game. If it were Nick C doing this for the past 2 seasons I think Tigers fans would be loving all of the attention.

Last edited:
it's there for discussion, but it is very close statistically.
plus the similarity scores from baseball reference.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/f...arkiba01:Barry Larkin&st=career&compage=&age=

Gray Ink Batting - 66 (385), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 120 (118), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 47 (100), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS Shortstop (13th), 70.2 career WAR/43.1 7yr-peak WAR/56.6 JAWS

Trammell
http://www.baseball-reference.com/f...ammal01:Alan Trammell&st=career&compage=&age=

Gray Ink Batting - 48 (524), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 118 (121), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 40 (161), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS Shortstop (11th), 70.4 career WAR/44.6 7yr-peak WAR/57.5 JAWS

I know the numbers are right there with others.....my thoughts on Tram not Bering a HOF'er have more to do with my overall thoughts on who gets in than if his career numbers are on par with others.

The HOF is watered down with good players. Tram was good, really good, and he deserves a lot of praise for what he did. But to me, he was not elite. Too many average years for a HOFer.

For every '87......there was an '89.

And I love Trammell. He was my first favorite player. I have almost every baseball card ever made with his name one it....and an autographed rookie that I have had for more than 20 years. I would LOVE to see him get in, but I would hate the fact that another really good player made the HOF.

I know the numbers are right there with others.....my thoughts on Tram not Bering a HOF'er have more to do with my overall thoughts on who gets in than if his career numbers are on par with others.

The HOF is watered down with good players. Tram was good, really good, and he deserves a lot of praise for what he did. But to me, he was not elite. Too many average years for a HOFer.

For every '87......there was an '89.

And I love Trammell. He was my first favorite player. I have almost every baseball card ever made with his name one it....and an autographed rookie that I have had for more than 20 years. I would LOVE to see him get in, but I would hate the fact that another really good player made the HOF.

I hear what you are saying about the HOF letting too many in but here is my opinion. The HOF has already set their standard and IMO Tram meets those standards. Do I think their standards are too low...perhaps....but if a player is equal or better than someone that is already in how can they keep that player out?

I agree with both sides in this debate really. I think the HoF should have less people in it than it does. It should really be reserved for the true elite, the top 5% maybe, the guys who were game changers or innovators.

The debate about Tram, Sweet Lou, and Jack Morris has been going on here for some time, my opinion is they are Tiger greats, but not necessarily all-time greats. But like someone pointed out, that's not what the HoF has become, so it's hard to make an argument for them not getting in based on it current criteria.

Baseball HoF = 1.3%

Football HoF = 1.1%

Basketball HoF = 3.5%

Personally, I think the HoF is exclusive to certain players based on where they played. Had Trammell, Whitaker and Morris been Yankees or Dodgers, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Even Parrish and Lolich would probably been in as Yankees or Dodgers.

I agree with this. There should be excitement with this kid. He is 22 and is probably the best player in the game. If it were Nick C doing this for the past 2 seasons I think Tigers fans would be loving all of the attention.

Excitement is one thing. Overblowing an average/slightly above average night with a "Highlight of the Night" and multiple specific written pieces is another thing entirely.

There were without exaggeration 10-15 more performances better than Trout's on opening day and probably another 10-15 that were equal to it. And they LOST 10-3.

ESPN had all winter to be "excited" about Trout. Now should be the time to report on the players that actually have a great performance.

Last edited:
ESPN is still around? What do you know, l thought they caved in like a black hole when their smugness started expanding to Mars. Just like Fox News, I am glad we have a place for the below average to get together.

ESPN is still around? What do you know, l thought they caved in like a black hole when their smugness started expanding to Mars. Just like Fox News, I am glad we have a place for the below average to get together.

and you have comments about smugness?

I did the same thing this morning...started reading the article on my phone and then check the box score and the score of the game....good game but not exactly special article worthy. I thought maybe he went 4-4 with a walk off home run or something.

It`s simple, he hit a HR in the first pitch of his first at bat after signing an unprecedented contract for someone his age.

If Cabrera hit one on his first pitch the fluff articles would have been out there for him too.

Back