Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ESPN's Top 10 lists all time greatest MLB players by position

turok

Eastern Seaboard Prejudice Network's panel of supposed "experts" recently created lists of the 10 best ever @ each position, without separating by league, or establishing a minimum number of career seasons played. While this might be due to those who lost prime years, to serving in the Armed Forces, I think that a minimum of 10 seasons should have been used, as well as separation by league, since divisional interleague play wasn't implemented until '97, half-season until '02, and full-season until '13.

I suspect that the writers did this, not only so a few players who played mostly in the Negro Leagues could be included,
but especially so that they could list a certain active CFer @ number 6...cough...Trout...cough... They also included a certain active "1B" @ number 10 in Big PEDi, who has played the position in <300 games within his entire career. In a lame attempt to disguise this biased farce, they added "3B" Edgar Martinez @ number 9, this despite his ALSO having spent that majority of his career as DH. Doing this meant that 3 other more deserving players were omitted, like perhaps the Tigers' George Kell @ 3B.

Tigers who made these "all time MLB greats" list include Miggy Cabrera 1B @ #5, Hank Greenberg 1B @ #6, Mickey Cochrane 2B @ #9, Alan Trammell SS @ #10, Ty Cobb CF @ # 3, and Pudge Rodriguez C @ #6. Apparently no Tigers RHP or LHP were good enough to make their Top 10.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page...yersalltime/all-mlbrank-greatest-players-ever

It was interesting reading some of the comments below each list, esp from those who claimed that the superstars of yore and the "dead-ball" era wouldn't be able to hack it vs more modern and integrated competition. While that might be somewhat true, there is also the fact that modern-era MLB players have had more creature comforts, better training facilities, vastly improved injury rehab, medicine, surgical repair and restoration, and much higher salaries, which means that they don't have to work another FT job in the offseason.

Today's SPs rarely pitch 9 or more innings, the players don't travel via passenger train from state to state, sleep in un-air conditioned hotels, use gloves and mitts that are smaller, and almost flat as pancakes with tiny webbing, or bat barehanded.

Last edited:
Literally read like all of these last night. Good read even if some of the rankings aren't what I'd agree with.

Last edited:
ESPN expert panel voted on thousands of head-to-head matchups of 162 players, based on both peak performance and career value.

Ivan Rodriguez 6th at C
Mickey Cochrane 9th at C
Miguel Cabrera 5th at 1B
Hank Greenberg 6th at 1B
Charlie Gehringer 9th at 2B
Alan Trammell 10th at SS
Ty Cobb 3rd in CF
Al Kaline 8th in RF

Personally, aside from a few names, I have no problem with the lists. It is all subjective.

Jack,Alan, and sweet lou should all be in the hall.

I can make a strong case for Bill Freehan. 11 All Star games in 15 years and 5 Gold Gloves. From 1964-1975 (12 years, ages 22-33), the only year he didn't go to the AS game was 1974 and that was arguably his best offensive year and when he split time at 1B. In 1974, 5 catchers made the AL roster.

(years they played)
Munson .697 OPS (1970-1979)
Fisk .934 OPS (1972-1993)
Porter .703 OPS (1973-1987)
Sundberg .678 OPS (1974-1989)
Herrmann .669 OPS (1969-1978)

Freehan .840 OPS

Freehan was an All Star in each of the 11 seasons where he caught at least 75 games.

When Freehan retired, he was in the Top 5 All Time Catchers in Hits, Runs, HRs, XBH and Slugging.

Freehan held the Highest Career Fielding Percentage until 2002. When he retired, he was the All Time leader in putouts and total chances.

Freehan primarily played during the "2nd Deadball Era" (1964-1972), so his offensive stats were impacted. Yet, he is 14th in JAWS. I could go on and on.

While cases can be made for Trammell, Morris and Whitaker, personally, I think Freehan not being in the hall is a bigger oversight.

Back