Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lolich : pitchers today are coddled

biggunsbob

Ron posted this in the notes but it deserves some discussion.
He never used ice but scalding hot water until his arm was beet Red.

Last edited:
mickey_lolich_shares_secret_ho.html#incart_river_mobile_index

It's just a different era. Pitchers are different now. They pitch differently and there is more of an investment in them.

I would be curious to see the success those guys had in their 30s compared to guys nowadays. While the amount of season ending injuries may be similar now to what it was in the 50s-60s, I have to imagine that guys arent just completely getting dead arm at age 31 like many of the greats did back then (Kofax is a prime example..)

I have no data to back this up, but just my thoughts...If there is anything showing the effectiveness of pitchers 30+ now vs 40 years ago Id love to see it.

I would be curious to see the success those guys had in their 30s compared to guys nowadays. While the amount of season ending injuries may be similar now to what it was in the 50s-60s, I have to imagine that guys arent just completely getting dead arm at age 31 like many of the greats did back then (Kofax is a prime example..)

I have no data to back this up, but just my thoughts...If there is anything showing the effectiveness of pitchers 30+ now vs 40 years ago Id love to see it.

Koufax had an arthritic elbow. Other than McLain, a lot of the "greats" of the 60s pitched in the 1970s too: Ryan, Carlton, Gibson, Seaver, Perry, Tiant, Hunter, John, Sutton, Palmer, Jenkins, Cuellar, Marichal ...

I'll take 10 seasons of 290IP compared to 15 seasons 200IP.

Edit: everything else being equal.

Last edited:
Prior to 1950, the mound was NO MORE than 15" and teams adjusted it between 0-15".

Between 1951 and 1968, it was set at exactly 15", giving the advantage to pitchers.

In 1969, it was lowered to 10".

For me, mound height had a lot to do with pitchers being able to throw without much stress and exertion. When they lowered the mound, it became more stressful. Additionally, certainly pitches create stress. For instance, the split finger was in vogue in the 1980s-1990s and many a pitcher that threw that pitch or a fork ball had arm issues.

Greg Maddux did fairly well be just mixing speeds and spotting his location. Today it is all about the velocity and the art of pitching is gone. Frank Tanana went from a flam thrower to an effective pitcher once he had arm trouble.

Prior to 1950, the mound was NO MORE than 15" and teams adjusted it between 0-15".

Between 1951 and 1968, it was set at exactly 15", giving the advantage to pitchers.

In 1969, it was lowered to 10".

For me, mound height had a lot to do with pitchers being able to throw without much stress and exertion. When they lowered the mound, it became more stressful. Additionally, certainly pitches create stress. For instance, the split finger was in vogue in the 1980s-1990s and many a pitcher that threw that pitch or a fork ball had arm issues.

Greg Maddux did fairly well be just mixing speeds and spotting his location. Today it is all about the velocity and the art of pitching is gone. Frank Tanana went from a flam thrower to an effective pitcher once he had arm trouble.

No doubt about that. Mounds lower changed things and you're also right about everyone being flame throwers. The closer's have messed things up as well. 8IP, starter at 100 pitches "bring in the closer." Or 8th inning, SP throwing a SO - a guy gets on base, bring in the setup guy.

RP are RP because they couldn't cut it as SP. Why go to them when 1 guy gets on base.

Back