Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mariano Rivera carted off the field w/ knee injury...

If anyone I'd root for on the yanks, it'd be Rivera. You could see ARod mouthing oh my God, Oh my God..

Do Pitchers usually shag fly balls? Bad way to get an injury..

He's done for the year with a torn ACL. This might be it for his career considering he's already 42. Kind of a shame to see someone of his significance possibly done in such a silly way as shagging BP flyballs.

That's the third pitcher to get nicked in BP in less than a year. Too bad for him, but I don't lament that the Yankees are a lesser team with Mariano on the DL.

Shouldnt he have minions that shag balls for him

They said it's something he's done his entire career. I agree though. That was kind of my first thought too.

Also, did you notice in the video that they didn't appear to stop hitting BP while they were loading him on the cart? There were guys there in front of the staff to shag balls and you could see them on alert when some got close. Really, you can't stop for 3min and get your long term injured closer on the cart and off the field?

They said on the tv that Rivera has been shagging balls for years..

This is probably the most pathetic post I have ever read.

Seriously, the guy is a Yankee but he's also the greatest closer of all time, and you think it's funny he might have just ended his career?

Grow up.

I hope he comes back next season. Even at 42 he hasn't slowed down, at all.

I hope he comes back next season. Even at 42 he hasn't slowed down, at all.

I knida don't see it. He's already been talking retirement. I just don't see him rehabbing for the next 12mos to make one last run at 43. Could be wrong, but I think he's just at that point where time and desire aren't on his side.

I knida don't see it. He's already been talking retirement. I just don't see him rehabbing for the next 12mos to make one last run at 43. Could be wrong, but I think he's just at that point where time and desire aren't on his side.

But no one wants to go out like that. He is pitching in his 40's as he was in his 30's and 20's. He's still great.

But no one wants to go out like that. He is pitching in his 40's as he was in his 30's and 20's. He's still great.

I agree 100%, but I'd bet he isn't healing like he was in his 20s and 30s. He's already been talking about retirement, he's got five rings, he's a 12x all star, he's the all-time saves leader, and he's a certain 1st ballot HOF player. What else is there for him to accomplish? I think at 42 and with all that behind him, he's probably not wanting to rehab for the next year just to pitch for one final season.

Mariano Rivera Suffers Torn ACL, Career In Question
By Mark Polishuk [May 3 at 11:40pm CST]
Mariano Rivera appears to have suffered a torn ACL in his right knee, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told reporters after tonight's 4-3 loss in Kansas City. Rivera suffered the injury while chasing a fly ball during batting practice earlier today, a pre-game ritual that Rivera has undertaken throughout his entire career. The ace closer will consult with doctors tomorrow in New York and, if the initial diagnosis is confirmed, Rivera will miss the rest of the 2012 season.

Speculation has already begun that Rivera's career could be over, as the right-hander had hinted during Spring Training that this would be his final season. A disconsolate Rivera told reporters (including MLB.com's Bryan Hoch and Yahoo Sports' Jeff Passan) that he wasn't sure if he would ever pitch again and that he would first have to get through the rehab process before deciding if he could continue as a Major Leaguer. It's hard to imagine that Rivera would allow his legendary career to end in such ignominious fashion, and yet, as Bob Klapisch points out (Twitter link), Rivera could also see his injury as a sign that it's time to leave the sport.

Needless to say, Rivera's injury is a huge blow to both the Yankees and, if his career is indeed over, to baseball as a whole. For now, David Robertson or Rafael Soriano will have big shoes to fill as New York's next closer. The Yankees could also now explore the trade market for relief pitching or explore such options as moving Phil Hughes back to the bullpen.

From his Twitter feed: "I'm coming back. Write it down in big letters. I'm not going out like this." - Mariano Rivera to reporters today.

I hope Mo comes back. Hate to see him go out like this. He is a Yankee, but I still like him. Bernie Williams was the same way for me.

Back