Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Xbox 720

zoombabyzoom

Move over Sony.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...p-document-alleges-2013-launch-174556733.html

Microsoft left a lot of people hungry for details about its next-generation console system at this year's E3. This past weekend, however, those people had plenty to chew on, courtesy of a leaked document that purports to offer plenty of previously unannounced details on the system.

The 56-page document, which first surfaced in the popular NeoGAF forums, presents itself as a road map for the Xbox system through 2015, including alleged details on the so-called Xbox 720, a unique glasses display, and a focus on cloud gaming.

It's critical to note, however, that no sources have corroborated the information in the document, which seems to come from a 2010 internal planning meeting. Still, it packs quite a wallop.

Many of the tech revelations are fairly standard and have been mentioned by developers currently working with early versions of the hardware. 2013 launch? Check. 3D support? It's in there. "Always connected" internet connection? Blu-ray drive? Lofty sales goals? Yes, yes and yes.

The document goes several steps further, however. Running on a Windows 8 foundation, the new box aims to be even more of a living room staple than the current Xbox console, allowing users to record TV content in the background like a DVR. It also details improvements to Microsoft's Kinect camera system: better accuracy, improved voice recognition, and support for motion tracking for up to four players.

That's not all for Kinect. Initially spotted in May by Nukezilla, the alleged roadmap discusses a "glasses for Kinect" initiative called "Project Fortaleza," a pair of Wifi-enabled, augmented reality glasses, according to the document. Marked for a 2014 launch, they would allegedly be radio/4G-based mobile devices that users could take with them, much like Google's Project Glass. Via Xbox Live, the document says, the glasses would offer "real-time information on people, places and objects."

In 2015, claims the document, Microsoft plans to shift focus to cloud gaming -- a move that could signal the next Xbox (or a smaller set top box afterward) as the final hardware product from the group, as the document says consumers will "never need to upgrade hardware again."

Of course, this could all be an elaborate hoax put together by someone with too much time on their hands. Microsoft, while refusing to comment about the document, did have it taken down from the sharing site Scribd via Covington & Burling LLP, a major IP law firm that represents Microsoft. That move, of course, has given the rumors springing from the document more traction.

Microsoft has experienced these sorts of next-gen console leaks before. In the days before the Xbox 360 was announced, details from a market research company study leaked out, showing some of the ideas the company was considering for its next-generation system. Ultimately, the company decided to go in a different direction.

Meh. I'm happy with my PS3 and already best Blu-ray drive on the market including free on-line play. THAT'S FREE.

This thing is a computer, gaming system, blu-ray player, dvr, kinect, etc. all in one.

This thing is a computer, gaming system, blu-ray player, dvr, kinect, etc. all in one.

Not that I wasn't interested, just read the leak before. It going to be pretty damn sweet. I'll be getting one right out of the gate. I am an Xbox guy and this is going to be a significant upgrade.

So getting on one of these is like using my Laptop or PC? I doubt it. Sure you might be able to surf, load a game, software but no way is it near as good as a computer. And Blu-ray, DVD is redundant.

Oh and congratulation Microsoft, after 3 years (when Sony added a Blu-ray) you come around. Lol.

Last edited:
So getting on one of these is like using my Laptop or PC? I doubt it. Sure you might be able to surf, load a game, software but no way is it near as good as a computer. And Blu-ray, DVD is redundant.

Oh and congratulation Microsoft, after 3 years (when Sony added a Blu-ray) you come around. Lol.

Sony developed Blu-Ray, so I'm sure even if Xbox 360 had wanted it, Sony would have denied it as this was it's main separation feature from the 360.

And when the PS3 and 360 were launched, Sony and HP were still fighting it out for the HD-DVD market.

The biggest thing with no hype over the 720, is it's all unofficial, nobody even knows for sure that's what it's being called yet.

Do an Xbox 720 image search, and you'll see what I mean...everything is just speculation, I'll get excited when MS releases some specs.

Also, why can't it be as good as a computer? They make a custom MoBo, use a i7 or FX-8 chip, SSD, a top end GPU, USB 3.0 support, internal Wi-Fi, Blu-Ray drive, HDMI....sounds like most PCs to me.

Last edited:
Sony developed Blu-Ray, so I'm sure even if Xbox 360 had wanted it, Sony would have denied it as this was it's main separation feature from the 360.

And when the PS3 and 360 were launched, Sony and HP were still fighting it out for the HD-DVD market.

The biggest thing with no hype over the 720, is it's all unofficial, nobody even knows for sure that's what it's being called yet.

Do an Xbox 720 image search, and you'll see what I mean...everything is just speculation, I'll get excited when MS releases some specs.

Also, why can't it be as good as a computer? They make a custom MoBo, use a i7 or FX-8 chip, SSD, a top end GPU, USB 3.0 support, internal Wi-Fi, Blu-Ray drive, HDMI....sounds like most PCs to me.

Not for $299. They can't cram all that stuff in and keep a $299 price.

Last edited:
It'll be like ps3, in that the same drive will play both blue and dvd. The main driver for me getting it out the gate will be the games, who cares what the specs are if you don't have a game that utilizes all the new features. Not sure about the cloud service either but getting rid of discs will be nice.

Not for $299. They can't cram all that stuff in and keep a $299 price.

You don't know this. When they buy from vendors in bulk, components are pretty cheap.

Plus most electronic components have like a %400 markup, it's all about what kind of deal they can make from the vendors.

Plus 360 and PS3 were $399 when they came out, why would this one start $100 cheaper?

You don't know this. When they buy from vendors in bulk, components are pretty cheap.

Plus most electronic components have like a %400 markup, it's all about what kind of deal they can make from the vendors.

Plus 360 and PS3 were $399 when they came out, why would this one start $100 cheaper?

plus they usually price it below cost to gain market share and leverage the economies of scale to lower the production cost which they make back through licensing and such. Cost will probably be about 599 selling for 399.

If its suppose to be as good as a laptop/PC as you say with the all the other great stuff, it'd be expensive.

Or else people would be buying this new gadget instead of a laptop or PC.

I guess the Laptop/PC will have a market no more. Lol.

If its suppose to be as good as a laptop/PC as you say with the all the other great stuff, it'd be expensive.

Or else people would be buying this new gadget instead of a laptop or PC.

I guess the Laptop/PC will have a market no more. Lol.

You never miss an opportunity to jump to a wild conclusion do you?

You never miss an opportunity to jump to a wild conclusion do you?

The OP mentioned "computer", you mentioned "i7, cheap components" etc. Yeah, I might have went too much the other way, but this new gizmo will never ever be as good as a PC or laptop. Not even close.

Its a gaming machine with some nice additions, nothing more.

The OP mentioned "computer", you mentioned "i7, cheap components" etc. Yeah, I might have went too much the other way, but this new gizmo will never ever be as good as a PC or laptop. Not even close.

Its a gaming machine with some nice additions, nothing more.

Well here's the thing, nobody knows what it is. Or isn't.

Because everything we know is all speculation or supposed "leaks", which may be true and may be horseshit.

But back to what you said, it "will never be as good as a PC or a laptop", people were saying this about phones and tablets not long ago too.

And when you say "as good as" that would depend, because some cheap PC's and laptops are probably not half as good as 360/PS3's in terms of CPU and GPU.

Well here's the thing, nobody knows what it is. Or isn't.

Because everything we know is all speculation or supposed "leaks", which may be true and may be horseshit.

But back to what you said, it "will never be as good as a PC or a laptop", people were saying this about phones and tablets not long ago too.

And when you say "as good as" that would depend, because some cheap PC's and laptops are probably not half as good as 360/PS3's in terms of CPU and GPU.

Thanks for making my point. Tablets and especially phones are certainly no PC. Not even close, brother.

Back