Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

So...

elrod817

I just bought a PS3 on craigslist for $30. Reason it was so cheap is that it is having freezing issues. I thought I'd take a chance on it and see if I could fix it. Anybody have any ideas? I've already tried rebuilding the database which popped a lot in online searches and that did not do the trick. Help is appreciated!

I know someone who has one that the Blu-Ray portion of the drive is going bad, and it quits in the middle of games, or resets.

dunno how you would fix that though.

Have you tried to restore it? I also heard some times peoples console would freeze because of a new update. You could try to set it back.

You could try to Google, if you haven't already or search in YouTube. You can find some good shit.

It helps to know people. If nobody comes to mind hang out at the local nerdery and ask around for someone who can help you.

I know someone who has one that the Blu-Ray portion of the drive is going bad, and it quits in the middle of games, or resets.

dunno how you would fix that though.

Mine will freeze on the main screen without a game in there so I'm thinking it's not Blu-Ray related. Just my guess though...

Have you tried to restore it? I also heard some times peoples console would freeze because of a new update. You could try to set it back.

Any idea how to do that off the top of your head?

Top of my head? No. I could replace your computer HD for ya ;-) Never tried changing a PS3 one before.

Well, I feel your pain somewhat Elrod. Few years ago I bought an xbox 360 on craigslist, was only like 6 months after they came out [old style with removable HDD on top] I got it for $90 because it a banned console from xbox live.

Had for like 3 weeks, bought about 8 games, and it went RROD. Tossed it in the trash and about a month later I saw the fix for RROD on youtube for replacing the heatsink.

At least you;re only out $30 tops.

Elrod, does the console looked like the previous owner might have been trying to mod it? If so he could of messed up the BIOS which is forcing your console to freeze when it tries to load the main menu

Elrod, does the console looked like the previous owner might have been trying to mod it? If so he could of messed up the BIOS which is forcing your console to freeze when it tries to load the main menu

Not from what I can tell and it will actually load the main menu (sometimes) and you can sometimes play a game for five minutes or so before it freezes. I don't know if this makes a difference at all, but it is one of the original PS3's that is backwards compatible.

So it can sometimes load the menu, and sometimes can play games for a few minutes....

Its not the BIOS then...Im not to familiar with PS3s. Doesn't quite sound like a hard drive issue to me. Maybe more of a processor problem...

Back