Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Misc Sports

Old 01-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Roger Federer wins 20th Grand Slam

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...and-slam-title
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #2

Give me Jimmy Connors in his prime over Federer in his prime.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!

Last edited by Mitchrapp; 01-28-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
Give me Jimmy Connors in his prime over Federer in his prime.
I don't think so.

Would it be one match?

Or would they face off on all four major championship surfaces?

Of course, the best players of an era end up playing against each other often.

Connors doesn't have anywhere near the grand slam championships resume that Federer has, but I do think that Connors has won the most total matches of all time.

I think match in and match out, Federer would win more often.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
Old 01-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
I don't think so.

Would it be one match?

Or would they face off on all four major championship surfaces?

Of course, the best players of an era end up playing against each other often.

Connors doesn't have anywhere near the grand slam championships resume that Federer has, but I do think that Connors has won the most total matches of all time.

I think match in and match out, Federer would win more often.
Too hard to know. But Connors was my favorite which is why I mentioned him ;-) But Connor could return a serve like no other and had a strong game. Never quit attitude.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

Old 01-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Too hard to know. But Connors was my favorite which is why I mentioned him ;-) But Connor could return a serve like no other and had a strong game. Never quit attitude.
I would say Nadal and Djokovic are better overall than Connors top rivals and Andy is better than a lot of them. What's kept Murray from having more success is he plays in the same era as the other three.

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
I would say Nadal and Djokovic are better overall than Connors top rivals and Andy is better than a lot of them. What's kept Murray from having more success is he plays in the same era as the other three.
I thought McEnroe and Borg were very good players. Add in Lendl who was rather good himself and got the short end of the stick on many occasions the competition was good. And a bunch of really good secondary players.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #7

Quote:
I thought McEnroe and Borg were very good players. Add in Lendl who was rather good himself and got the short end of the stick on many occasions the competition was good. And a bunch of really good secondary players.
Of course they were very good. But to each only won two of the four majors-which is great of course; better than almost everyone in history and certainly puts them on the list of all-time greatest.

But this era has three active players with career grand slams - I'm pretty sure that's never happened before.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

Yes, it's hard to compare players of different eras. But you don't have to think too hard about who the GOAT is, if you're willing to take McEnroe's word for it. McEnroe, who played all the guys mentioned and who has witnessed Federer's career, states without hesitation that Roger is the greatest, followed by Nadal. And the gap between those two and whoever comes in at number three is sizable. Pretty sure McEnroe puts Borg at number three and Laver at four. And then there is Sampras.

Last edited by jwlcosu; 01-28-2018 at 07:47 PM.