Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions > NFL General Board
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #11
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermud View Post
LOL wow 7 starts new highest paid in the NFL they’ll end up regretting that but it’s there money blow..always nice to see other teams doing stupid things
unless he's actually really good.



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #12
brewer229   brewer229 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,167
To be fair he has almost as many wins against over .500 teams as the second highest paid QB in the league.
Jimmy has 4 vs Stafford with 6.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer229 View Post
To be fair he has almost as many wins against over .500 teams as the second highest paid QB in the league.
Jimmy has 4 vs Stafford with 6.
I know this means nothing but I'm curious why Jimmy vs Stafford instead of Jimmy vs Matt or Garoppolo vs Matt?
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
Tonyballs2   Tonyballs2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer229 View Post
To be fair he has almost as many wins against over .500 teams as the second highest paid QB in the league.
Jimmy has 4 vs Stafford with 6.
Jimmy G isn't even a top 25 QB....

But this is how the NFL works. The 49ers love/like him. That's all that matters

Last edited by Tonyballs2; 02-09-2018 at 08:27 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #15
wheels002   wheels002 is offline
Senior Member
 
wheels002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,085
I remember getting ripped apart by some people when I said that Stafford actually cut the Lions a deal when he signed his deal. He could have gotten much more had he made them tag him and he knew it.

That being said I think Cousins gets close to 30 mil per year because he will have several teams bidding against themselves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #16
Tonyballs2   Tonyballs2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels002 View Post
I remember getting ripped apart by some people when I said that Stafford actually cut the Lions a deal when he signed his deal. He could have gotten much more had he made them tag him and he knew it.

That being said I think Cousins gets close to 30 mil per year because he will have several teams bidding against themselves.
Stafford's deal saved a few milly
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #17
grandy   grandy is offline
Senior Member
 
grandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,621
Jimmy G's contract actually doesn't look too bad, the 49ers have a lot of flexibility after year one.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-franc...roppolo-14472/

Very low bonuses after year one, dead cap is almost nothing if things don't work out. The year one cap hit is huge, but the 49ers have plenty of room for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #18
brewer229   brewer229 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,167
hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels002 View Post
I remember getting ripped apart by some people when I said that Stafford actually cut the Lions a deal when he signed his deal. He could have gotten much more had he made them tag him and he knew it.

That being said I think Cousins gets close to 30 mil per year because he will have several teams bidding against themselves.
Also risky, a regression to pre-JBC Stafford and could cost him some money. Or injury could have done the same.

You could make the case many QBs would benefit from a year to year contract, but it's football and risky. Taking largest contract ever at the time is not giving a deal. Contracts get larger as the cap goes up, this is known by everyone. There was no "hometown" discount here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #19
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
Jimmy G's contract actually doesn't look too bad, the 49ers have a lot of flexibility after year one.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-franc...roppolo-14472/

Very low bonuses after year one, dead cap is almost nothing if things don't work out. The year one cap hit is huge, but the 49ers have plenty of room for it.
you are right. Everyone looks at the big numbers but it's the guaranteed money that matters.

"The $48.7 million guarantee at signing is only $1.7 million more than Andrew Luck got two years ago, and it's 1.3 million less than the SIGNING BONUS Matthew Stafford got on his contract extension last year."
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.