Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions > NFL General Board

Old 02-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermud View Post
LOL wow 7 starts new highest paid in the NFL they’ll end up regretting that but it’s there money blow..always nice to see other teams doing stupid things
unless he's actually really good.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #12

To be fair he has almost as many wins against over .500 teams as the second highest paid QB in the league.
Jimmy has 4 vs Stafford with 6.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer229 View Post
To be fair he has almost as many wins against over .500 teams as the second highest paid QB in the league.
I know this means nothing but I'm curious why Jimmy vs Stafford instead of Jimmy vs Matt or Garoppolo vs Matt?

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer229 View Post
Jimmy G isn't even a top 25 QB....

But this is how the NFL works. The 49ers love/like him. That's all that matters

Last edited by Tonyballs2; 02-09-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #15

I remember getting ripped apart by some people when I said that Stafford actually cut the Lions a deal when he signed his deal. He could have gotten much more had he made them tag him and he knew it.

That being said I think Cousins gets close to 30 mil per year because he will have several teams bidding against themselves.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels002 View Post
I remember getting ripped apart by some people when I said that Stafford actually cut the Lions a deal when he signed his deal. He could have gotten much more had he made them tag him and he knew it.

That being said I think Cousins gets close to 30 mil per year because he will have several teams bidding against themselves.
Stafford's deal saved a few milly
Old 02-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #17

Jimmy G's contract actually doesn't look too bad, the 49ers have a lot of flexibility after year one.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-franc...roppolo-14472/

Very low bonuses after year one, dead cap is almost nothing if things don't work out. The year one cap hit is huge, but the 49ers have plenty of room for it.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #18

hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels002 View Post

Also risky, a regression to pre-JBC Stafford and could cost him some money. Or injury could have done the same.

You could make the case many QBs would benefit from a year to year contract, but it's football and risky. Taking largest contract ever at the time is not giving a deal. Contracts get larger as the cap goes up, this is known by everyone. There was no "hometown" discount here.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
Jimmy G's contract actually doesn't look too bad, the 49ers have a lot of flexibility after year one.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-franc...roppolo-14472/

Very low bonuses after year one, dead cap is almost nothing if things don't work out. The year one cap hit is huge, but the 49ers have plenty of room for it.
you are right. Everyone looks at the big numbers but it's the guaranteed money that matters.

"The $48.7 million guarantee at signing is only $1.7 million more than Andrew Luck got two years ago, and it's 1.3 million less than the SIGNING BONUS Matthew Stafford got on his contract extension last year."