Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers > MLB General Board

Old 01-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #11

I think I read Bruce wanted 5 years 90m? The market is pretty bad right now. He gets 3 years 39m. I read articles comparing him to JD showing their stats not being too far off from one another and the difference in money they would get.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...jay-bruce.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...up-in-his-face

If I had to guess i'd say JD doesn't really want to play in that shitehole boston park.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #13

His agent.. He wants the 7 years I suspect. Could it work like Prince where we gave him a huge deal late or backfire. I'd image he'd smoke it in Boston. Good place for stats.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #14

McCutchen to the Giants. Only has 1 year left on contract...I expect more moves from SF....kinda mind boggling if you ask me. Braun and Cutch in the OF so far, not bad.

Last edited by dale675; 01-15-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:10 AM   #15

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...randerson.html
Blue Jays To Sign Curtis Granderson.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...medium=linker-
MLBTR
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #16

Darvish signs with the Cubs. 6 years, $126M
Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #17

Collusion or a market correction?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#3780be23176e
Old 02-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
In a lot of cases, the players are getting the offers, they are just holding out for more years and the owners aren't caving. So it isn't collusion.

With the new CBA and how the Luxury Tax is applied, ALL teams are avoiding paying it a 2nd and/or 3rd time, by any means. Illitch SR would be in the same boat if he was alive. In a way, it has become a "salary cap".

Teams in rebuilding mode (Detroit) are not buying the premium Free Agents. Most playoff bound teams, are at the cusp of the Luxury Tax (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc) and are not "over spending" to get someone. That leaves a finite number of teams who have the payroll flexibility to pay. When Eric Hosmer is offered 6 years for $125 Mil and is holding out for a 7th year. Who is going to swoop in and pay him? Even J.D. Martinez has been made offers, but is holding out for more years. We are talking about 5 or less teams that could even sign these guys.

Additionally, makes you wonder who Avila was beating to the punch when he signed Fiers and/or Martin. He claimed DET needed to jump or risk losing them. Losing them to whom? There are still plenty of Free Agents with the skills and same price range as Fiers and Martin on the market. Most will get less money then Fiers and/or Martin. Must be collusion.

Last edited by Rebbiv; 02-13-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #19

I started thinking last year or so that there was becoming an increasingly smaller and smaller number of teams that are still willing to take on huge team payrolls and not at all surprised so many free agents can’t find homes now at the prices they seek or believe the market will provide.. I think this trend may continue and start to show up more in other sports as well. Stuff cost too damn much, I still drive around a 15 year old truck with the bed all rusted out and ready to fall off in the road any year now cuz it cost to damn much for even a decent 5 year old used trucks for me it’s freaking ridiculous how much stuff costs, point being I don’t see how people can afford to continue supporting these multi million dollar salaries going to games and buying caps and jerseys etc. the market for sports cards is terrible you can’t give the stuff away. How many teams are out thier willing to pay huge salaries now 4-5 maybe 6? They can’t all play for the same team

Last edited by tigermud; 02-13-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermud View Post
I started thinking last year or so that there was becoming an increasingly smaller and smaller number of teams that are still willing to take on huge team payrolls and not at all surprised so many free agents canít find homes now at the prices they seek or believe the market will provide.. I think this trend may continue and start to show up more in other sports as well. Stuff cost too damn much, I still drive around a 15 year old truck with the bed all rusted out and ready to fall off in the road any year now cuz it cost to damn much for even a decent 5 year old used trucks for me itís freaking ridiculous how much stuff costs, point being I donít see how people can afford to continue supporting these multi million dollar salaries going to games and buying caps and jerseys etc. the market for sports cards is terrible you canít give the stuff away. How many teams are out thier willing to pay huge salaries now 4-5 maybe 6? They canít all play for the same team
I don't think it's teams can't afford it...they are just figuring out it just isn't worth it.

As far as sports card trading...that's really stupid if you think about it. Buying a piece of cardboard that has a picture of an athlete on it and think you should make money off of it?