Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions > NFL General Board

Old 11-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #1

Bob Costas says football is in trouble

Football May 'Collapse like a House of Cards'

http://start.att.net/news/read/artic...ategory/sports
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #2

I'm of the opinion they are right but I think we are years away from it being gone. I sure know I loved playing HS Football but heck I only played my jv and junior year , and it tore my body up and chewed it out.
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!

Last edited by biggunsbob; 11-10-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #3

It'll never go away IMO. It's the ultimate sport. Do people tealize what it would take to abolish the game? It starts with the kids. No more minor league football. No more highschool. No more college!!! Ya right!! Lol. Never happening...
Old 11-10-2017, 02:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
I'm of the opinion they are right but I think we are years away from it being gone. I sure know I loved playing HS Football but heck I only played my jv and junior year , and it tore my body up and chewed it out.
I played quite a few sports back then.. Less than a year of football, 9th grade JV. I was a wide out - and I got blasted too many times I lost interest. I kept on losing days. Decided to just stick with baseball.. Good glove, no bat. I got hit a few too many times - started getting afraid of the ball. There went my baseball career. Though I was king of wiffle ball in my neighborhood.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Tony, I wouldn't be so sure man.

No one thought boxing would ever die off. It was one of the world's most popular events damn near the whole 1900s. That was the teflon of the sporting arena, simple, and a huge draw. Now, it's damn near extinct. I realize there are different reasons as to why it's gone so far so fast, but the NFL has a massive problem on their hands.

Information is going to kill the sport. More and more studies come out about how dangerous the damn game is. Youth participation has already taken a serious nosedive, and NFL players are retiring younger and younger. I don't think "football" as we know it will go away, but it's going to look pretty damn different in 25-30 years.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #6

If it's true that CTE is directly caused by football injuries I would be happy if it went away. I doubt it happens though. There are too many people that are willing to take the risks. As long as there are players there will be a game.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
Tony, I wouldn't be so sure man.

No one thought boxing would ever die off. It was one of the world's most popular events damn near the whole 1900s. That was the teflon of the sporting arena, simple, and a huge draw. Now, it's damn near extinct. I realize there are different reasons as to why it's gone so far so fast, but the NFL has a massive problem on their hands.

Information is going to kill the sport. More and more studies come out about how dangerous the damn game is. Youth participation has already taken a serious nosedive, and NFL players are retiring younger and younger. I don't think "football" as we know it will go away, but it's going to look pretty damn different in 25-30 years.
wasn't there a boxing match a few months ago where the boxers made over $100M each? I don't think the sport is "almost extinct"....it just isn't popular anymore.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #8

I agree that it starts with the kids but maybe more info gets out, and mom's makes kids choose something else. I know I wouldn't want my boy playing football. He's 20 now and I'm glad he chose something else.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #9

I would not let any son of mine play football today. Thankfully, they only played a few years as it was. HS JV was as far as any of them got.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by byco42 View Post
I would not let any son of mine play football today. Thankfully, they only played a few years as it was. HS JV was as far as any of them got.
when I was a teenager (over 30 years ago) my parents wouldn't let me play because of the high risk of injury. They let me play any other sport...just not football. I was really pissed at the time.