Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions > NFL General Board
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #1
biggunsbob   biggunsbob is online now
Moderator
 
biggunsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Byron Center, Michigan
Posts: 56,263
Bob Costas says football is in trouble

Football May 'Collapse like a House of Cards'

http://start.att.net/news/read/artic...ategory/sports
__________________
JIM
Play Peters !!!!!
WE NEED LINEMEN !!!!!! WE NEED LINEBACKERS!!!!! WE NEED BETTER CORDINATORS!!!! PLEASE START COACHING BETTER! !!!
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
biggunsbob   biggunsbob is online now
Moderator
 
biggunsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Byron Center, Michigan
Posts: 56,263
I'm of the opinion they are right but I think we are years away from it being gone. I sure know I loved playing HS Football but heck I only played my jv and junior year , and it tore my body up and chewed it out.
__________________
JIM
Play Peters !!!!!
WE NEED LINEMEN !!!!!! WE NEED LINEBACKERS!!!!! WE NEED BETTER CORDINATORS!!!! PLEASE START COACHING BETTER! !!!
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!

Last edited by biggunsbob; 11-10-2017 at 12:43 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #3
Tonyballs2   Tonyballs2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,116
It'll never go away IMO. It's the ultimate sport. Do people tealize what it would take to abolish the game? It starts with the kids. No more minor league football. No more highschool. No more college!!! Ya right!! Lol. Never happening...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:50 AM   #4
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
I'm of the opinion they are right but I think we are years away from it being gone. I sure know I loved playing HS Football but heck I only played my jv and junior year , and it tore my body up and chewed it out.
I played quite a few sports back then.. Less than a year of football, 9th grade JV. I was a wide out - and I got blasted too many times I lost interest. I kept on losing days. Decided to just stick with baseball.. Good glove, no bat. I got hit a few too many times - started getting afraid of the ball. There went my baseball career. Though I was king of wiffle ball in my neighborhood.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
dubbsco   dubbsco is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,102
Tony, I wouldn't be so sure man.

No one thought boxing would ever die off. It was one of the world's most popular events damn near the whole 1900s. That was the teflon of the sporting arena, simple, and a huge draw. Now, it's damn near extinct. I realize there are different reasons as to why it's gone so far so fast, but the NFL has a massive problem on their hands.

Information is going to kill the sport. More and more studies come out about how dangerous the damn game is. Youth participation has already taken a serious nosedive, and NFL players are retiring younger and younger. I don't think "football" as we know it will go away, but it's going to look pretty damn different in 25-30 years.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,018
If it's true that CTE is directly caused by football injuries I would be happy if it went away. I doubt it happens though. There are too many people that are willing to take the risks. As long as there are players there will be a game.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
Tony, I wouldn't be so sure man.

No one thought boxing would ever die off. It was one of the world's most popular events damn near the whole 1900s. That was the teflon of the sporting arena, simple, and a huge draw. Now, it's damn near extinct. I realize there are different reasons as to why it's gone so far so fast, but the NFL has a massive problem on their hands.

Information is going to kill the sport. More and more studies come out about how dangerous the damn game is. Youth participation has already taken a serious nosedive, and NFL players are retiring younger and younger. I don't think "football" as we know it will go away, but it's going to look pretty damn different in 25-30 years.
wasn't there a boxing match a few months ago where the boxers made over $100M each? I don't think the sport is "almost extinct"....it just isn't popular anymore.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,607
I agree that it starts with the kids but maybe more info gets out, and mom's makes kids choose something else. I know I wouldn't want my boy playing football. He's 20 now and I'm glad he chose something else.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
byco42   byco42 is offline
Senior Member
 
byco42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,831
I would not let any son of mine play football today. Thankfully, they only played a few years as it was. HS JV was as far as any of them got.
__________________
Paratum cor meum, Deus. Paratum cor meum.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by byco42 View Post
I would not let any son of mine play football today. Thankfully, they only played a few years as it was. HS JV was as far as any of them got.
when I was a teenager (over 30 years ago) my parents wouldn't let me play because of the high risk of injury. They let me play any other sport...just not football. I was really pissed at the time.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.