Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions > NFL General Board
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,067
Cleveland to hold a "perfect season" parade for Browns

Understandable, since other than the Cavs' NBA championship a couple years ago, the city has had nothing else to "celebrate" since the Browns' last NFL championship ('64 season) in 1965 (more recent than the Lions in '57, obviously). They also played vs the Cowboys in the following year for the NFL crown, but were defeated.

Despite losing the team, but not the franchise or its name in the latter half of the 90s, and entering the NFL a decade after the Portsmouth Spartans became the Detroit Lions, the Browns have also managed to win twice as many NFL Championships (8) than the Lions have (4), and have won more playoff games (6) than the Lions (1), and more div titles (9) than the Lions (2) in the SB era.

The parade idea was first conceived and organized last season, when the Browns were still a threat to lose all 16 regular season games, but narrowly averted it by defeating the Chargers in Game 15. So the celebration is named Perfect Season 2.0:

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/brow...parade-is-a-go
__________________




Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
Understandable, since other than the Cavs' NBA championship a couple years ago, the city has had nothing else to "celebrate" since the Browns' last NFL championship ('64 season) in 1965 (more recent than the Lions in '57, obviously). They also played vs the Cowboys in the following year for the NFL crown, but were defeated.

Despite losing the team, but not the franchise or its name in the latter half of the 90s, and entering the NFL a decade after the Portsmouth Spartans became the Detroit Lions, the Browns have also managed to win twice as many NFL Championships (8) than the Lions have (4), and have won more playoff games (6) than the Lions (1), and more div titles (9) than the Lions (2) in the SB era.

The parade idea was first conceived and organized last season, when the Browns were still a threat to lose all 16 regular season games, but narrowly averted it by defeating the Chargers in Game 15. So the celebration is named Perfect Season 2.0:

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/brow...parade-is-a-go
That's what bad franchises do.. Celebrate the bad. They keep a 1 & 31 head coach who said "no one else would have been better.."
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
thehippo73   thehippo73 is offline
Senior Member
 
thehippo73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 1,355
I live in NE Ohio and Browns fans are pissed about this parade. They want nothing to do with the parade.

This was organized by people who just want to mock the Browns. We have a few fans like that on this board.
__________________
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippo73 View Post
I live in NE Ohio and Browns fans are pissed about this parade. They want nothing to do with the parade.

This was organized by people who just want to mock the Browns. We have a few fans like that on this board.
they are mocking the Browns organization. I understand that 100%.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #5
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
That's what bad franchises do.. Celebrate the bad. They keep a 1 & 31 head coach who said "no one else would have been better.."
I see your Jackson, and raise you 14 years of Millen/Mayhew, and three consecutive M-surnamed HCs, each as awful or worse than his predecessor.
Ironically enough, there were 4 in a row, counting Moeller, who may have turned out to be one of the better HCs that the Lions have had, if Millen had retained him.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
I see your Jackson, and raise you 14 years of Millen/Mayhew, and three consecutive M-surnamed HCs, each as awful or worse than his predecessor.
Ironically enough, there were 4 in a row, counting Moeller, who may have turned out to be one of the better HCs that the Lions have had, if Millen had retained him.
From one of the best, Moeller, to one of the worst - Marty Mornhinweg. Off topic, favorite Mornhinweg saying - "That a babe."
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,936
"The whole Perfect Season Parade started out as a joke last year as the Browns fumbled their way through a forgettable season."

This appears not to be a function of the City of Cleveland.

I suspect it's still in the joke phase amongst a few fans, as it was last year.

When the Tigers avoided surpassing the Mets in 2002 for the record in futility, I wrote a parody about a parade that, of course, didn't happen.

Pretty sure this parade won't really happen either.
__________________
Go Blue!

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
tomdalton22   tomdalton22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
"The whole Perfect Season Parade started out as a joke last year as the Browns fumbled their way through a forgettable season."

This appears not to be a function of the City of Cleveland.

I suspect it's still in the joke phase amongst a few fans, as it was last year.

When the Tigers avoided surpassing the Mets in 2002 for the record in futility, I wrote a parody about a parade that, of course, didn't happen.

Pretty sure this parade won't really happen either.
Excedrin sponsored it...they gave $10K. I think it's going to happen. I hope it does.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #9
turok   turok is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
they are mocking the Browns organization. I understand that 100%.
Lions fans did similar in mid-December of '05, when a group of about 1000 marched to and around Ford Field, demanding the ouster of Matt Millen, and wearing the orange team color of the Bengals, who were the Lions visiting opponents that Sunday.

This parade is a thinly disguised protest, that although not officially recognized by the "City" of Cleveland, (and I didn't post that it had) will likely be affected in size depending on weather conditions next Saturday, and may have a growing police presence, if it becomes large enough.
__________________


Last edited by turok; 01-01-2018 at 11:26 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
tinselwolverine   tinselwolverine is online now
Moderator
 
tinselwolverine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post

This parade is a thinly disguised protest, that although not officially recognized by the "City" of Cleveland, (and I didn't post that it had) will likely be affected in size depending on weather conditions next Saturday, and may have a growing police presence, if it becomes large enough.
Will they stand, sit or kneel for the national anthem?

Me, I would probably just spend the time holding a car wash instead, and spend the proceeds on pornography (legal adult MILF Porn, of course, all models over 35) or actual hookers if I raised enough money, instead.
__________________
Go Blue!

"When you look for the bad in mankind, expecting to find it, you surely will." - Pollyanna
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.