Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions > NFL General Board

Old 01-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Breakdown of final play

Williams apparently did everything right but the last second put his head down . One costly mistake. He was a rookie .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7ad59083ce65

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...s_on_viki.html
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by biggunsbob; 01-14-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
Williams apparently did everything right but the last second put his head down . One costly mistake. He was a rookie .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7ad59083ce65

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...s_on_viki.html
Bad mistake but where were the other defenders?

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #3

I just don't understand why guys refuse to tackle with their arms.

"Man, it was just my play to make," said Williams, who missed the tackle around the Saints' 35-yard line that allowed Minnesota Vikings receiver Stefon Diggs to run free for a 61-yard, game-winning touchdown in Minnesota's 29-24 victory.

"The ball was in the air. I didn't go attack it. And he came down and made a great play, and that's just on me," said Williams, who lowered his head and shoulder and attempted to drive toward Diggs' leg -- though he whiffed completely -- instead of contesting the ball in the air or waiting to wrap up Diggs after the catch. "I just gotta be that guy and go up and get the ball. As a safety back there, you gotta be the eraser. And that was my job. ...

"I feel like I was a little early [on my launch toward Diggs]. But at that point, I just gotta make the tackle when he comes down. ... There's only 10 seconds left. I knew the situation. You gotta make sure you make the play. ...

"If the play happened different, I would just go attack the ball and make that play."

When asked how he will bounce back from the play, Williams said, "Man, just overcoming. You can't let it beat you down. I'm gonna take it upon myself to do all that I can to never let that happen again. And, I mean, if it happens again, then I shouldn't be playing. But I'm gonna take it upon myself to do all that I can to make sure nothing like this happens again to me."

"Look, he jumped and went for the tackle," Payton said. "He's played well for us all year. It was a timing decision. Obviously he'd like to have that back, but he's been a good player for us all year."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...t-my-play-make
Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchild98 View Post
I just don't understand why guys refuse to tackle with their arms.
The old days that's what they did.. Now everyone tries for the big shoulder to helmet hit.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

Old 01-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #5

Weird play from the beginning. What a bullshit play by the fkn Vikings lol..wow.
As for the kid Williams? He took it like a man and explained the best he could. He mistimed the whole play and to me, it looked like by the time he realized that Diggs was actually catching the ball, he pretty much froze in mid lunge. Should only make the kid better IMO....
Old 01-15-2018, 05:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyballs2 View Post
Weird play from the beginning. What a bullshit play by the fkn Vikings lol..wow.
As for the kid Williams? He took it like a man and explained the best he could. He mistimed the whole play and to me, it looked like by the time he realized that Diggs was actually catching the ball, he pretty much froze in mid lunge. Should only make the kid better IMO....
Kid actually had a pretty good game up till that last play...
Old 01-15-2018, 05:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
Bad mistake but where were the other defenders?
Other defenders? Williams was the last line of defense on that play and then ended up taking out the guy covering the guy who caught the ball when he missed the tackle.... The other guys were covering other people and thought that Williams was all the help they'd need over the top...
Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd47 View Post
Other defenders? Williams was the last line of defense on that play and then ended up taking out the guy covering the guy who caught the ball when he missed the tackle.... The other guys were covering other people and thought that Williams was all the help they'd need over the top...
Over 60 yards to go, why not have guys near the goal as last defense? Or at least inside the 30. I get that they wanted to make a tackle in-bounds so no FG try but it almost looked like they were playing man to man.

Last edited by Mitchrapp; 01-15-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyballs2 View Post
Spot on Tony.. I watched it a bunch of times wnd I think your right .. He went for it and like it did look like he froze big time. Like he launch and thought uh-oh I'm in trouble ... But I'm with you ... I hate the Vikings more then any other team . He is a nice young player and I hope he recovers from this .
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
Over 60 yards to go, why not have guys near the goal as last defense? Or at least inside the 30. I get that they wanted to make a tackle in-bounds so no FG try but it almost looked like they were playing man to man.
I was also wonder too why the saints didn't have 1 deep spy. We all know the Vikings were trying to work the sidelines to get into a field goal. Everyone says this morning that the Santa had the right defense called and the kid just used bad technique.. I would have had a spy.