Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk > Science & Astronomy

Old 02-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

LIVE: Space X launch now!

17 minutes

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

man, America has really been able to achieve some great things with such a visionary leader as Trump.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

that rocket was YUGE!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #4

Very Cool . I asuume everything went ok? I get to nervous watching launches .
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsbob View Post
Very Cool . I asuume everything went ok? I get to nervous watching launches .
Mostly went well. Lost the feed on the central booster landing. Probably lost it.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #6

I've started seeing some pretty hefty critcism of Elon Musk both for this and generally, as a fraud and dilettante just living off investors seed money and government grants.

specifically: the space x payload is half what the Saturn V could put into space in the 60's... over FIFTY (50) years ago. So he's not really delivering anything NASA didn't already do.

and look at all the labor and production issues at Tesla. and on top of that, he was supposed to have self-driving cars that could go from NYC to LA now.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
I've started seeing some pretty hefty critcism of Elon Musk both for this and generally, as a fraud and dilettante just living off investors seed money and government grants.

specifically: the space x payload is half what the Saturn V could put into space in the 60's... over FIFTY (50) years ago. So he's not really delivering anything NASA didn't already do.

and look at all the labor and production issues at Tesla. and on top of that, he was supposed to have self-driving cars that could go from NYC to LA now.
I think those people are mostly crazy and the proof will be in the actual use of the rockets. The comparison to the Saturn V is stupid and out of context. The Falcon Heavy probably won't be used as much right away because satellites have gotten smaller in the time it took to develop it, but it's an option (in terms of price and size) that just didn't exist previously.

I wouldn't rely on Musk to create accurate timelines for development. He's too optimistic. I think he underestimates how difficult the parts that have already been done elsewhere are going to be (like an assembly line.) But NASA put a lot of work into getting rockets to fly back and land so they'd be reusable. The technology just wasn't ready yet.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by michchamp View Post
and on top of that, he was supposed to have self-driving cars that could go from NYC to LA now.
This, in particular, is a BS complaint. The cars are ahead of the laws and features are turned off, but could be switched on. Is there a political reason for be for or against Musk?

edit: ok, statement retracted. He's charging for 'full self driving' with no clue when that feature will be turned on. That's complaint worthy.

Last edited by Gulo Blue; 02-09-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
This, in particular, is a BS complaint. The cars are ahead of the laws and features are turned off, but could be switched on. Is there a political reason for be for or against Musk?

edit: ok, statement retracted. He's charging for 'full self driving' with no clue when that feature will be turned on. That's complaint worthy.
The complaints about "self-driving cars" - both in Musk's case and others pumping them - are pretty reasonable in my book.

I mean, they haven't performed well to date, and in the cases where they "drive themselves" there's still a test driver in there, and they've "closed the loop" so the cars only drive on limited routes. More specifically, they say these vehicles are being advertised as "just put them out there and go" but the programmers have in practice given up on that due to the sheer complexity of it, and are now focusing on controlling the number of variables that go into it: limited routes,
driving conditions, etc. so really they're building a delivery truck that can do this one route, or a passenger tram that can go from Pt A to Pt B. yet the press is still reporting their PR pitches about "self driving cars" verbatim, without any skepticism.

So the criticism is about this being another Silicon Valley money grab... "fund our project for self driving cars... we're almost there" When the reality is, there nowhere close, and they've even given up on trying (but they won't admit that)

Musk is part of the problem here.

He maybe needs to listen to his workers, stop treating them like shit, and stop shipping bug-ridden vehicles, before he builds his "safe space" on Mars.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #10

Saturn V launch cost was $1.16 billion in 2016 dollars. Falcon Heavy launch cost less than 8% of that. If that's for real and not a fake number based on grants and subsidies, then the criticism is off base.