Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions

Old 02-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Mount Rushmore of Detroit Lions: The Four Greatest Lions Players of All-Time

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...rt_river_index
Mount Rushmore of Detroit Lions: The Four Greatest Lions Players of All-Time.
Mlive

Read more about our Mount Rushmore Four, as well as "40 other Lions" who were considered but did not make the cut.
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #2

Night Train Lane was great, but the Lions had him for the second half of his career. One of the greatest middle linebackers all time is Joe Schmidt and he belongs on this Mount Rushmore. Also, with a long history, you could have 3/4/5 Lions Mount Rushmores for all the great players.
I don't think there is another team that has as many Safeties and Cornerbacks in the NFL Hall of Fame.
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #3

I think they got two right. As much as I love CJ I would have went elsewhere. Though it's not a bad choice. Definitely take Lane out. Biased but I might have chosen Bubba Baker.. His first 3 seasons were so dominate.. Maybe Lem Barney.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #4

Barry, Calvin, Bobby Layne, Lem Barney
Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #5

The one reason I wouldn't pick CJ is the fact if Moore played at this time I think he does as well himself. They throw more, you basically can't touch a WR anymore.. Just easier.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

Old 02-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #6

I picked CJ because he made catches I have never seen made. Other WR's would watch him in awe at what he could do.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels002 View Post
I picked CJ because he made catches I have never seen made. Other WR's would watch him in awe at what he could do.
Best hands I ever saw, Herman Moore. You could go with either one which is why I'd go elsewhere.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #8

I've never once looked up Bobby Layne's stats. Obviously a completely different era but...his stats with the Lions...49% completion percentage, 118 TD passes, 142 int's.

Playoffs with the Lions 3-1 record (4 games), 47 % completion percentage, 1 TD, 12 int's (on 97 attempts).

Dude's a hall of famer.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchild98 View Post
I've never once looked up Bobby Layne's stats. Obviously a completely different era but...his stats with the Lions...49% completion percentage, 118 TD passes, 142 int's.

Playoffs with the Lions 3-1 record (4 games), 47 % completion percentage, 1 TD, 12 int's (on 97 attempts).

Dude's a hall of famer.
Go look up Bradshaw stats or Lynn Swann (never got to 900 yards in a season) and Swann is awesome. Just different games back then..

Old 02-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #10

While all your reasons are quite valid, I'm a huge Night Train mark. He's on my Rushmore for sure.