Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers

Old 01-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #61871

January 14 in Tigers and mlb history:

1909: The Detroit Tigers purchased George Moriarty from the New York Highlanders.

1932: Babe Ruth rejects a Yankees offer of $70,000, as the major leagues vow to cut salaries by $1 million.

1940: Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis gives free agency to 91 Detroit Tigers players and farm hands. Citing cover-ups of the movement of players within its organization, Landis hands freedom to Roy Cullenbine, Benny McCoy, Dutch Dietz, and Steve Rachunok from the parent roster and orders $47,250 paid as compensation to 14 players.
Ed Albosta of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Roy Cullenbine of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Guy Curtright of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Dutch Dietz of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Cal Dorsett of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Al Gardella of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Danny Gardella of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Paul Gillespie of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Buddy Hancken of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Jim Hickey of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Johnny Johnson of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Dale Jones of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Pat McLaughlin of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
George Metkovich of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Bill Mueller of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Dee Phillips of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Steve Rachunok of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Johnny Sain of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Bryan Stephens of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Tommy Tatum of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Ed Weiland of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Benny McCoy of the Detroit Tigers granted free agency.
Johnny Sain is one of 23 players who will later make it to the major leagues. Landis's edict also nullifies a deal that would have brought the Philadelphia Athletics' Wally Moses to the Tigers. Both players will later become coaches for the Tigers in the late 1960's on the 1968 World Series Champion Tigers team.

1947: The Detroit Tigers purchased Saul Rogovin from the Washington Senators.

1954: Former Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio marries actress Marilyn Monroe.

1981: Frank Robinson is named manager of the San Francisco Giants. In 1975, Robinson became the first African-American manager in major league history when he was hired by the Cleveland Indians.

1985: The Detroit Tigers released John Martin.

1986: The Detroit Tigers drafted Jerry Nielsen in the 1st round (26th pick) of the 1986 amateur draft (January Secondary), but was not signed.
1986: The Detroit Tigers drafted Kevin Higgins in the 5th round of the 1986 amateur draft (January), but was not signed.
1986: The Detroit Tigers drafted Wayne Housie in the 8th round of the 1986 amateur draft (January).

1987: Catfish Hunter and Billy Williams are elected to the Hall of Fame by the BBWAA.

1991: The Detroit Tigers signed John Cerutti as a free agent.

1999: The Detroit Tigers traded Mark Persails (minors), Carlos Villalobos (minors), Paul Bako, Dean Crow and Brian Powell to the Houston Astros for Brad Ausmus and C.J. Nitkowski.

2004: The Detroit Tigers signed Bobby Estalella as a free agent.
2004: The Detroit Tigers signed Greg Norton as a free agent.

2006: Dontrelle Willis, Mark Teixeira and Alfonso Soriano are among the 100 players who file for salary arbitration, the often acrimonious negotiating process that rankles baseball management every winter. Mark Prior, Josh Beckett, Brad Lidge, Adam Dunn, Morgan Ensberg, Brian Roberts, Travis Lee and Scot Shields are some of the other players who file before the deadline. Last year, players in arbitration averaged a 123 percent salary increase.

2010: The Tigers agree to terms with free agent reliever Jose Valverde, who played for the Houston Astros last season. As a result of the signing, the Tigers will give up their first pick in the 2010 amateur draft, the first time the team has surrendered its top pick since signing Rob Deer as a free agent in 1991.

Tigers players birthdays:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ohnske01.shtml
Ken Johnson 1952.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ampbda01.shtml
Dave Campbell 1967-1969.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Mike_Pelfrey
https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...elfrmi01.shtml
Mike Pelfrey 2016.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ybarer01.shtml
Erick Aybar 2016.

Tigers players who passed away:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...rdy_Richardson
https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ichaha01.shtml
Hardy Richardson Detroit Wolverines 1886-1888.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...vicoge01.shtml
Sam Vico 1948-1949.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ortobu01.shtml
Bubba Morton 1961-1963.

from Baseball Reference
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2018, 06:38 AM   #61872

Southpaw James Russell is headed to the Tigers organization on a non-roster arrangement. Whether he’ll receive a camp invite isn’t known in this case (or the others). The 32-year-old is long removed from his days as a solid bullpen presence. He last appeared in the majors, rather briefly, in 2016. Though he only threw 31 professional innings last year, all in the Mexican League, they were in a starting role. He worked to a 2.03 ERA with 7.8 K/9 and 1.7 BB/9.
MLBTR
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #61873

A Twitter follower shared a not-uncommon thought when I recently compared Ryne Sandberg’s and Lou Whitaker’s total-base numbers. Pointing out that the latter played in roughly 200 more games, he opined that “If were making the case for him, not sure if a career-additive stat like total bases does that.”

I understand what he was saying, but in terms of the Hall of Fame, there’s a flaw in the logic. If nothing else, it shortchanges longevity, which in my opinion adds to, rather than subtracts from, a player’s worthiness. It takes a lot of talent to play in the big leagues, and continuing to perform at a level that keeps you there — particularly in your mid 30s and beyond — is extremely challenging. In this particular case, Whitaker, who played his last game at 38, simply aged better than Sandberg, who played his last game at 37.

Other notable players have extended their careers even further beyond their primes, with Pete Rose, Omar Vizquel, and Carl Yastrzemski being classic examples. Should they be penalized for hanging on, and thereby increasing their counting stats while harming their rate stats? I’m of the belief that they shouldn’t.

Fangraphs
Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #61874

Meanwhile, Bill Freehan (11) and Lance Parrish (8) combined for 19 All-Star berths, and neither got as much as 4% support in Hall of Fame balloting. Catchers are not only underrepresented in Cooperstown, they are seemingly held to an unreasonable statistical standard.

Freehan has the same adjusted OPS (112) as Craig Biggio and Cal Ripken. Parrish has the same adjusted OPS (106) as Johnny Evers and Ivan Rodriguez. Does this make them Hall worthy? No, but once you add in their All-Star achievements and the intangibles that go with their position — catcher value will always be hard to quantify — they have a damn good argument. And don’t get me started on Ted Simmons…

…who Jerry Crasnick, upon second thought, feels is deserving of a plaque. The accomplished ESPN columnist didn’t include “Simba” when he contributed to my December Writers’ View column asking which of the people on the Modern Era ballot belongs in the Hall of Fame — and he regrets having not done so. In an exchange we had a few weeks later, Crasnick told me that he “probably whiffed on Ted Simmons; I do think he belongs, and I would answer that question differently if I had another chance to respond.”

Fangraphs
Old 01-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #61875

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...er/1032462001/
Meet Detroit Tigers' Al Avila, Ron Gardenhire at Detroit Baseball Dinner.
Freep
Old 01-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #61876

https://motorcitybengals.com/2018/01...trading-block/
Detroit Tigers: Castellanos Ahead of Iglesias On The Trading Block.
MCBTB
Old 01-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #61877

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olne...-as-youd-think
How do teams value leadership on the free-agent market? Not as much as you'd think.
espn
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 PM   #61878

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTDIoNjW4AAibrp.jpg
JAPAN, 1962: Kaline, Cash & Colativo.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:18 AM   #61879

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DET/2017.shtml
2017 Detroit Tigers Statistics.
Baseball Reference
Old 01-15-2018, 05:18 AM   #61880

test.