Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Expansion Draft Protected/Available List

Polish-Hammer

Only surprise for Detroit is protecting Howard over Mrazek. Although with Fleury available, I think its unlikely Vegas will take him.

Detroit Red Wings

Protected players
Justin Abdelkader (F)
Andreas Athanasiou (F)
Anthony Mantha (F)
Frans Nielsen (F)
Gustav Nyquist (F)
Tomas Tatar (F)
Henrik Zetterberg (F)
Danny DeKeyser (D)
Mike Green (D)
Nick Jensen (D)
Jimmy Howard (G)

Available players
Louis-Marc Aubry (F)
Mitch Callahan (F)
Colin Campbell (F)
Martin Frk (F)
Luke Glendening (F)
Darren Helm (F)
Drew Miller (F)
Tomas Nosek (F)
Riley Sheahan (F)
Ben Street (F)
Eric Tangradi (F)
Adam Almquist (D)
Jonathan Ericsson (D)
Niklas Kronwall (D)
Brian Lashoff (D)
Dylan McIlrath (D)
Xavier Ouellet (D)
Ryan Sproul (D)
Jared Coreau (G)
Petr Mrazek (G)
Edward Pasquale (G)
Jake Paterson (G)

https://www.nhl.com/news/protected-...nhl-expansion-draft/c-289972722?tid=289242400

I think these are the most likely targets for Vegas.

Martin Frk (F)
Darren Helm (F)
Tomas Nosek (F)
Riley Sheahan (F)

Xavier Ouellet (D)
Ryan Sproul (D)

Petr Mrazek (G)
Niklas Kronwall (D)

I think these are the most likely targets for Vegas.

Martin Frk (F)
Darren Helm (F)
Tomas Nosek (F)
Riley Sheahan (F)

Xavier Ouellet (D)
Ryan Sproul (D)

Petr Mrazek (G)
Niklas Kronwall (D)

Agree with you . I doubt with all Helm's health issues he will get picked though. Sheahan is a intesting .. maybe him.

Last edited:
Each team will lose 1 player.

Some teams don't have much to offer so I would expect several of the players picked will be on expiring contracts and Vegas won't attempt to sign them.

Last edited:
I was looking at the rule about protecting players and it seems weird, 2 ways only.. 7F, 3D and 1G or 8F&D and 1G. Don't know why you can't protect say 6fF 4D and 1G. Or 10D, and 1G or just 11F.

Last edited:
I was looking at the rule about protecting players and it seems weird, 2 ways only.. 7F, 3D and 1G or 8F&D and 1G. Don't know why you can't protect say 6fF 4D and 1G. Or 10D, and 1G or just 11F.

The goal was to force a few decent players and contracts to be available. Those options force every team to expose either a top 6 forward or a top 4 defenseman.

Okay, thank you. Can you keep 2 goalies? I just wonder about a team with a stud goalie and a young backup with stud potential. Not sure if any team has that but would suck..

Just noticed Jurco was protected by Chicago. Would have thought they'd protect Kruger instead.

Would it be worth paying a draft pick to persuade Vegas to take someone like Ericcson's contract? It's one thing to pay a late pick just to agree they don't take someone like Oullet, but maybe sweeten that a little bit to drop a bigger contract.

Vegas would have asked for a 1st or a 2nd which is a tough ask for Detroit.

3 more years of the human pylon with his no trade clause.

Vegas would have asked for a 1st or a 2nd which is a tough ask for Detroit.

3 more years of the human pylon with his no trade clause.

Trade him anyway and force him to embarrass himself over and over again.

Holland is a idiot .

I don't think anyone would want him plus he has a no trade clause.

The no-trade clause is another big reason I'd try my best to entice Vegas with a pick, maybe a third rounder next year. Ericsson isn't likely to draw interest in a trade at all, and he'd probably veto a salary dump-type trade (only other bad teams tend to have the cap space). Getting Vegas to pick him is one of the few ways we could get rid of him without extra complications.

Back