Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Red Wings Offseason 2017

Polish-Hammer

Detroit is still stuck under a cap crunch due to the many bad contracts on the books. As usual, Franzen going onto LTIR will provide a some relief. If we take Franzen off that commits Detroit to $ 63.5/75 mil with Tatar, Anthanasiou, and Oullet. This is also the season Stephen Weiss buyout climbs to 2.6 million.

Oullet: 0.8-1.5
Athanasiou: 2-3.5
Tatar: 4.75-5.75

From the 3 Oullet has the lowest bargaining power. He barely cracked the lineup and hasn't shown much. Red Wings gonna try to sign him as close to minimum as possible.

Athanasiou was scoring at 0.45 points per game which is similar to Filppula when coming off his ELC (0.46) which rewarded him with a $3 mil annual deal. Naturally Wings gonna push hard to minimize dollars and maximize length.

Tatar has been posting similar point totals to Nyquist. I doubt he'll accept a penny less than what Nyquist is currently making at $ 4.75 mil and would try to push for more. Especially when he is the better goal scorer. Nielsen is at $ 5.25 and produced even less than either.

My best case scenario would take the cap to $ 71 million and worst to $ 74.5 million. Worst case scenario would leave enough space to sign 1 depth player and send a youngster down. Best case scenario could sign an older player or two for minimal cost.

My conclusion is to not expect a splash in free agency. Unless Holland can trade away a money contract like Mrazek or Howard. Also consider next season Larkin and Mantha are due for new deals which means almost 0 chance of retaining Green (UFA-2018). He will likely be dealt at the deadline.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Before trading Smith to the Rangers at the deadline they were talking 3.75-4.5 for an extension. Seems Holland's evaluation of him dropped or the reality of cap crunch is setting in.

So far Holland has signed Daley, Witkowski, and brought back Tom McCollum from Calgary. So.... backup goalie for minors... makes me think he is planning on moving a goalie or potentially losing Coreau on waivers for free. I don't think he is waiver exempt anymore.

Bell is a telecommunications conglomerate in Canada and majority owner of TSN. The quality of the site and articles on TSN have been dropping at a ridiculous level. In fact, they have been phasing out written articles for videos. Maybe I am stuck in the past, but I prefer to read. I was making a jab at their failure to maintain the free agent tracking list. They used to be the best, but have been rapidly slipping. Can pinpoint it to when they redesigned the site (about 3 years ago). Went from amazing to shit overnight.

Together with Rogers they are majority owners of Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment (Toronto FC in MLS, Toronto Raptors in NBA, Toronto Maple Leafs in NHL).

Bell is a great company, they are well known for throttling internet speeds of their customers. Rogers aren't much better. Competition in telecom industry withinin Canada is minimal.

Byco here is an example of what I mean.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/free-agency

If you set the filters to Detroit.
Do you see the signing of either Ouellet or Elson?
Try clicking on a player name, will it take you to their profile page?
Is there a link to an article confirming the signing?

The latter 2 were standard features on the old version of the site. Before they turned it to rubbish for tablets.

If there wasn't an unwritten rule of avoiding offer sheets, someone would have offered one to AA. The Wings are over the cap as it and will require a move to fall under it. Meaning Detroit would be truly hard pressed to make a deal clearing cap.

In the past 6 years there have only been 2 offer sheets signed, both matched, and both players eventually traded. They were Shea Weber and Ryan O'Reilly.

Compensation breakdown for the low level deals.

No compensation: Below $1,295,571
3rd round pick: Between $1,295,572 and $1,962,986

Is AA bluffing ? He wants more money and he is threaten to play in Russia .

His agent is bluffing. He is RFA without arbitration rights so his negotiating position is poor. Khl is only leverage he has.

However, it is more money, fewer games, chance to play at Olympics, and a longer summer. The competition is a bit lower and will actually get a chance for top minutes.

While it's a negotiation tactic, I can see plenty of reason for him to go. It's not like the wings are a contender either.

Should also note the khl is already 7 games into the season.

Additionally he could sign a contract with a release clause should he sign an NHL deal.

Holland met face to face with AA and his agent about a week ago and things got quiet since. My assumption is there is a deal worked out and just waiting for the Wings to get within the cap.

Lorito has been impressing me this preseason. I would love to see him get an attempt at playing a 3rd line scoring role.

Back