Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2017 Season Debacle, trades, releases and fired thread

Someone interested in Kinsler? Sounds like they're running him through waivers. I wouldn't be surprised if some other team tries to snag him.

I wonder why they didn't do it when JV was going through? Why the wait?

On another note his money isn't so bad.. I could see teams wanting him as well.

On another note his money isn't so bad.. I could see teams wanting him as well.

This is old but FWIW

Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler is not interested waiving his no-trade protection unless a (hypothetical) acquiring team reaches a new contract with him, his agent Jay Franklin tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Kinsler is one of several veteran Tigers players who has come up in trade chatter this winter.

Anything is possible, but the demand for an extension would certainly gum up any trade talks between Detroit and any of the rivals who are on Kinsler?s list. He is already 34 years of age, so it isn?t as if he has mid-prime years to sell, and part of his appeal is the relatively limited commitment ($11MM in 2017 and a $10MM option for 2018) that comes with Kinsler?s contract.

I wonder why they didn't do it when JV was going through? Why the wait?

I was listening to MLB radio last week and they said a team can put up to 6 or 7 players (I can't remember which they said) at a time. Maybe the Tigers already had their full # of players without Kinsler???

I was listening to MLB radio last week and they said a team can put up to 6 or 7 players (I can't remember which they said) at a time. Maybe the Tigers already had their full # of players without Kinsler???

Yeah, I'm sure that Kinsler wasn't in the first tier of shit contracts that they pray someone will take.

You guys might be right.. I thought it was 10 but maybe not. But yeah, 1st tier is quite the big tier.

This is old but FWIW

Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler is not interested waiving his no-trade protection unless a (hypothetical) acquiring team reaches a new contract with him, his agent Jay Franklin tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Kinsler is one of several veteran Tigers players who has come up in trade chatter this winter.

Anything is possible, but the demand for an extension would certainly gum up any trade talks between Detroit and any of the rivals who are on Kinsler?s list. He is already 34 years of age, so it isn?t as if he has mid-prime years to sell, and part of his appeal is the relatively limited commitment ($11MM in 2017 and a $10MM option for 2018) that comes with Kinsler?s contract.

Thanks.. Do we keep him at 10m?

Just saw that Kinsler was claimed by another team. Guess we'll see what the team has really got in the plans going forward.

Yankees claim Ian Kinsler.

According to Jon Heyman the Yankees have claimed has Ian Kinsler from the Detroit Tigers...!

Last edited:
I guess we should add the following trades

JV to Houston
JUP to the Angels

as of 9/5/2017 there are only 3 teams with a worse record than the Tigers.

yes...because you pay him $5M to leave. Exercise the option and he could be a trade piece at the deadline. (or there is a miracle and they are actually good next year ;)

If it's a total rebuild (Lets get better draft picks) why not. Didn't we just trade for a shit load of INF.

Last edited:
Kinsler, Iggy, and Miggy will all likely be gone in the off season IMO. Once Miggy is elsewhere I will no longer have any desire to follow this team and will be moving onto bigger than better things.

Kinsler, Iggy, and Miggy will all likely be gone in the off season IMO. Once Miggy is elsewhere I will no longer have any desire to follow this team and will be moving onto bigger than better things.

I am thinking they will get rid of Kinsler and Iggy.
Miggy will look around at the players on the team all AAAA and want to get out.
Tigers will have to eat some of his salary as well like they did with JV say the amount over 20 Million and a team or two might go for it with him as their DH.
It could very well be the red sox with DD....

I don't think there is any way possible they move Miggy this off season...not after the season he had this year. If he has a "miggy like" first 1/2 they might be able to move him by the trade deadline...but that isn't likely. WAY too much on that contract.

I don't care who is on the team...I'm a fan of the name on the front of the jersey...not the names on back. I followed them when they lost 119 games and I will continue to do so in the future.

Last edited:
I am thinking they will get rid of Kinsler and Iggy.
Miggy will look around at the players on the team all AAAA and want to get out.
Tigers will have to eat some of his salary as well like they did with JV say the amount over 20 Million and a team or two might go for it with him as their DH.
It could very well be the red sox with DD....

Miggy has a ring, but from his time with the Marlins. He could be traded, but what ballclub would take on his contract, even if the Tigers were to eat $20M per? The Angels got burned with both Headcase Hamilton and Pooholes, although they were able to return the former to the Rangers, who themselves were had by no-neck Prince Fielder. Unless Cabrera is +.300 and +30 homers by the trade deadline next season, I don't see what contender would trade for him..esp in the NL with no DH.

Last edited:
Miggy has a ring, but from his time with the Marlins. He could be traded, but what ballclub would take on his contract, even if the Tigers were to eat $20M per? The Angels got burned with both Headcase Hamilton and Pooholes, although they were able to return the former to the Rangers, who themselves were had by no-neck Prince Fielder. Unless Cabrerais +.300 and +30 homers by the trade deadline next season, I don't see what contender would trade for him..esp in the NL with no DH.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabremi01.shtml#all_br-salaries
Miggy's salaries for 2018 to 2023, not counting the vesting options for last 2 years that vests if Cabrera finishes in the top ten of MVP voting.
So Tigers pay 10 million per and 60 Million total and other team assumes the rest which is 20 Million per '18 to '21 and 22 Million per for '22 and '23.
It would have to be an AL team, very surprised if it wasn't.

Back