Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Practice Notes

Well Zordich knows that they are going up against a group that is stacked at wide receiver. If they start winning more against those guys, we'll have something special back there. Word is, they all play the run better than Stribling. Thats encouraging. Our dbs were skewered last year against Colorado and didnt wake up till the second half. I dont think this group will be any worse than last year after losing Clark to injury. The speed and leaping ability we have at receiver is going to make most teams look bad.

I read this as a bit of Good Cop/Bad Cop ...Zordich is just getting the word out there, that the DBs aren't blowing everyone away. I think it's a good thing and like he says, "I hope they read the article."

I read this as a bit of Good Cop/Bad Cop ...Zordich is just getting the word out there, that the DBs aren't blowing everyone away. I think it's a good thing and like he says, "I hope they read the article."

It's a good thing, but maybe the coaches should think bigger. they should say "Every player on this team sucks and has been a disappointment so far, and we hope they read this article."

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess he wasn't at CB anymore. Sam Webb said they moved him to safety.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

First with regard to the Keith Washington transfer news we broke here earlier… as we reported in Volume 16 of Inside the Sub, the former Prattville (Ala.) standout was slated to move to safety. With the man-to-man coverage demands the Wolverines put on their center-fielders, the move seemed to one that would bolster the safety ranks and increase Washington’s chances of seeing the field at either safety or maybe even corner at some point. However, word from down south is that he’d rather focus his efforts solely at the cornerback position and will pursue an opportunity elsewhere to do so. As I always say in situations like these, you should never begrudge young man doing what he thinks is best for him. Especially when it’s a really good kid like Washington… one that has worked hard to really improve physically and learn a new position (i.e. cornerback). If he feels he can find a better opportunity elsewhere, all you can/should do is wish him the best.

As for the remaining contenders at the corner position, Michigan cornerbacks coach issued a public challenge to his players today to step up and seize starting roles. That means he is looking for improvement from every guy in his room. That said, one player we continue to hear is making progress answering that challenge is LaVert Hill. Word has it that he turned in “hip pocket coverage” in the latest practice. Based on Zordich’s recent comments and those he made specifically about Hill last spring, it’s fair to conclude that what he wants to see is that performance consistently. It’s also fair to conclude that this week will determine the hierarchy heading into game one. Hill, Brandon Watson, David Long, and Ambry Thomas appear to be the prime contenders currently.

A defensive that appears to be improving his chances of making the rotation is Jaylen Kelly-Powell. In his first extended scrimmage action at corner the former Detroit Cass Tech standout was tested consistently, and while he gave up some plays, he made a few too. And just as important, he kept battling. Both Brain Smith and Mike Zordich talked up his cover skills in the past week. That combined with JKP’s on-field usage strongly suggests he is in definitively in the mix for the nickel and dime roles.

Moving over to offense, Donvovan Peoples-Jones has been performing well all camp long, but boy has he taken things up a notch lately. The effusive praise that I was hearing about Tarik Black over the first week has shifted to DPJ in recent days. The former five-star prospect gave the defense fits. One big play in the latest practice saw him break open on a deep dig against a potential starter at CB. Then he caught two fade balls for big plays over a couple younger defensive backs. One observer said “if they don’t get their hands on him, it’s over.” It’s only practice, but Michigan’s receiver class is living up to the hype.

Quick hitters

Jon Runyan was back with the ones at right tackle. As we said in prior reports when Nolan Ulizio was out with the ones… that should NOT be taken as a signal that Runyan has locked up the spot. Chalk it up as another sign of him being definitively in the mix.

Josh Ross had made noise for his fierceness in the run game. Today I got word that he earned praise for his effectiveness as a blitzer. Of course, credit should go to his defensive line as well. On one of the plays in which Ross came free, Aubrey Solomon caved in two opposing linemen. It was definitely the football version of an assist.

Nico Collins’ gets his first Inside the Sub mention thanks to a play where he went up and over the top of one of the tallest defensive backs on the roster for a deep shot touchdown.

J’Marick Woods also checks in with a mention with a couple of bone jarring hits. Receivers that catch short and intermediate passes in front of him do so at their own risk.

Lastly, Jim Harbaugh seems almost giddy when he talks about Ben Mason. There are obviously two seniors at his position that have played a lot of football, but Mason’s punishing blocking could keep him in the conversation for playing time. He got run with the ones in a recent practice

In many prior editions of Inside the Sub have highlighted the exploits of many of Michigan’s impressive freshmen. While performances on the practice field certainly must be kept in perspective, observers simply can’t ignore the obvious.

The same is true for their coaches.

“I mean this has been a very fruitful young class,” Michigan offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Tim Drevno said. “It is exciting with Donovan Peoples-Jones outside. Nico Collins a big tall guy who can really catch the ball. Tarik Black… WOW! He is explosive. Every time he comes down with the ball he’s always over the top of somebody. Dylan McCaffrey is special and the leadership qualities… how he can get a play and spit it out of his mouth. I mean that is awesome. O’Maury Samuels was cutting it loose (Sunday) night in the Big House. I’m really thankful for him. This is a class you are looking at and go, ‘man these are some really great players.’ But it is our job as coaches to make sure we put them in the right situations to be successful. It is fun and rejuvenating. When you get those guys in here it makes you go, ‘wow, this is going to be a really really special place as we keep going forward.’”

Add those new weapons to those that are returning and you’re faced with a problem that all coaches would love to have. How do you use them all?

"I think one is it starts in the room with just all the coaches and the different ideas,” said Drevno. “I think there are some different things we are going to do offensively this year, which I think will be really special. I really like the speed of the wide receiver group. I think those are explosive football players. I love the tight end corps. We are starting to get a tight end corps that we like that we can throw the deep ball down the field… the big target. We got some good fullbacks… Ben Mason making the change, Khalid Hill and (Henry) Poggi. The quarterbacks are battling.”

“The things that I think we do different… what we are going to do is we’re going to do what’s best for our football team and for us to be successful (with) the different ideas. We are starting to (coach) to that and trying to find who we are, what we are about. But I know we have talent, and that’s really good. I know we are getting great looks from our defense and it is really making us better. With Don over there in Dr. Blitz, so there are a lot of positive things that are going to help us down the road that will pay dividends. I like our personnel. I really like our personnel. I really like the running back corps. Chris (Evans), Ty Isaac and we got some good players, so we got some clay to be molded I would say."

Reading between the lines, it seems likely Drevno and company won’t be averse to spreading teams out more often because they have the personnel to do so. It seems likely they won’t be averse to sending any one of their speedier tight ends down the seam because they have the personnel to do so. It seems likely they won’t be averse to doing more with their tailbacks, probably in the passing game, because they have the personnel to do so. More succinctly, they’re going to create favorable match-ups and exploit them. Of course, that means that sometimes the trigger man is going to have to adjust on the fly to help assure favorable scenarios. That’s why the quarterbacks have been tasked this year with learning and manipulating protections.

“When a quarterback can understand the whole system in the run game and protection… protections... he’s got to know who’s picking up who and where his hots are,” Drevno explained. “Understand that if we need to do something to get the protection changed, he’s got to have an understanding. He can’t just have an understanding of the routes. He’s got to know conceptually what’s going on. That’s going to make him a better player… to understand where our problems present (themselves). Where there are problems that present (themselves), you’ve got to fix that problem, and then where are the best matchups. I learned that when I went to the 49ers I walked into the locker room and meet Alex Smith for the first time. Alex Smith was talking about the protection concepts we were bringing from Stanford University. He could start rattling off to me the different adjustments in the protections and the different problems they present. I was like, ‘wow, this is pro football. This is where a guy is expert at he does.’ and that is what you want out of these guys… where they understand the ins and outs of all the concepts and where the problems lie. That is going to make them a better player when they can fix the problem, and that is where I always say the football lens have started to open. It makes you better and it is about making adjustments in this game, matchups, and understanding where your problems present (themselves), and fixing the problems.”

Sounds like we are moving towards running a modern pro/Patriots style offensive attack. Music to my ears.

You'd think he'll have a ways to go before contributing, but here's another bullet in the DB chamber.....

I?ll start off this latest edition of Inside the Sub with news of another position switch. I recently received word that redshirt freshman Nate Johnson is now trying his hand at corner. As history has shown, Harbaugh & company have done a masterful job of moving players into positions that help the team and put them on a quicker path to playing time. Viewing this move through that lens, the flip makes perfect sense. We?ve received word during this camp that Eddie McDoom is looking good in an expanded role in the slot (his speed will be utilized even more this year), Oliver Martin has simply been too good to keep off the field, and Grant Perry has reestablished himself as a reliable weapon with his precision route-running, great hands, and under-estimated speed. Then you have some of the outside guys (like Donovan Peoples-Jones) that have spent time in the slot. Johnson?s talent certainly could command time in the rotation as well (and maybe it still will at some point), but the opportunity to work into the lineup in the secondary seems to be a lot clearer. Michigan will face its share of teams that will try to spread them out. Johnson?s speed and quickness could be a real asset in nickel and dime scenarios. First thing?s first though? learning the position and defense now as #17. (St. Juste has #25).

As camp has gone on and the stories of the receivers looking good have multiplied, questions from fans about the secondary have increased. Those questions seemed to turn to genuine concern after Mike Zordich?s comments about the uncertainty at the corner spot opposite LaVert Hill earlier. As I?ve said previously, growing pains are inevitable with the youth at the position, so expect them. But don?t panic. Understand that Zordich is not averse to having his public comments be a part of his sending a message. Let me remind you again that that is exactly what he did last spring when about LaVert Hill he said he said the following.

?Lavert is a natural at it. Lavert has got to get better at finishing, straining, more effort, but talent ? he has it. He just has to make up his mind on how he wants this to roll. ?

Now we get word that Hill has stepped his game up significantly. Similar challenges during Hill?s days at Detroit Cass Tech and then Detroit King were responded to the same way. So when Zordich?s recent comments about the needed improvement by his position group hit the papers, Hill?s position coach at Cass?. current Belleville headman Jermaine Crowell? made it a point to chime in.

CoachJermain Crowell on Twitter

?@SamWebb77 I like him!!! I'm liking the way he's making kids earn it on the field. Can't wait to see how my kids develop under him.?
https://twitter.com/JermainCrowell/status/900211746627088387

Lost in the concern over Zordich?s blunt assessment was his reassurance that he believes the group will rise to the challenge.

?I'm not concerned,? said Zordich. ?I have confidence in myself and I have confidence in those guys. I don't want to sound like the sky is falling. Because I see it in them... that's the frustrating thing for me. I see it. It's there. Just do it on a consistent basis and we'll be okay.
?I don't want to sound the alarm. We're just trying to get these guys to move along.?

?I'm very confident that within the next week one or two of those guys is going to step up.?

Be realistic about your expectations for how quickly this group will round into form, but relax. The group will round into form.

Moving on, in fairness to the young players in the secondary, they?re probably facing in practice the most talented receiving corps they?re going to see all season. That is becoming clearer by the day. I got word yesterday that Donovan Peoples-Jones continues to light it up. He ran right by one of the freshman corners for another bomb in practice recently prompting the following response from one observer?

?Sometimes it seems like the quarterback isn?t even looking? like they?ll just throw it up because they know he is going to run under it.?

The not looking part is hyperbole, but you get the point. DPJ CONTINUES to live up to the hype.

That said, DPJ doesn?t get the nod for the top big play artist at the mid-week point. That distinction goes to Kekoa Crawford who hauled in two bombs on what looked be the same deep route. The sophomore wideout ran the route so crisply on one of the deep shots that there were five yards between he and the defender when the ball arrived.

This crew of receivers will do some damage this year.

Which brings us to the Pep Hamilton effect. Jim Harbaugh is known for his use of multiple formations, motion, and sometimes unique personal groupings. According to one observer those positives are being accentuated by Hamilton?s presence.

?There is a lot of talent at receiver, but the route concepts and combinations seem even more like the NFL. The scheme itself will get guys open. These (receivers) have the talent to turn those openings into big plays.?

Quick hitters

Nolan Ulizio was running with ones at right tackle in practice again recently. That should NOT be taken as a signal that he has locked up the spot.

David Long was running with the ones again at corner. That should NOT be taken as a signal that he has locked up the spot.

Brad Hawkins got a little run with the two at safety for the first time this week.

Metellus has been getting some run at VIPER to shore up things behind Khaleke Hudson

The physicality has been dialed back a bit as game week approaches. Two-hand touch in the run game.

You'd think he'll have a ways to go before contributing, but here's another bullet in the DB chamber.....

I?ll start off this latest edition of Inside the Sub with news of another position switch. I recently received word that redshirt freshman Nate Johnson is now trying his hand at corner. As history has shown, Harbaugh & company have done a masterful job of moving players into positions that help the team and put them on a quicker path to playing time. Viewing this move through that lens, the flip makes perfect sense. We?ve received word during this camp that Eddie McDoom is looking good in an expanded role in the slot (his speed will be utilized even more this year), Oliver Martin has simply been too good to keep off the field, and Grant Perry has reestablished himself as a reliable weapon with his precision route-running, great hands, and under-estimated speed. Then you have some of the outside guys (like Donovan Peoples-Jones) that have spent time in the slot. Johnson?s talent certainly could command time in the rotation as well (and maybe it still will at some point), but the opportunity to work into the lineup in the secondary seems to be a lot clearer. Michigan will face its share of teams that will try to spread them out. Johnson?s speed and quickness could be a real asset in nickel and dime scenarios. First thing?s first though? learning the position and defense now as #17. (St. Juste has #25).

As camp has gone on and the stories of the receivers looking good have multiplied, questions from fans about the secondary have increased. Those questions seemed to turn to genuine concern after Mike Zordich?s comments about the uncertainty at the corner spot opposite LaVert Hill earlier. As I?ve said previously, growing pains are inevitable with the youth at the position, so expect them. But don?t panic. Understand that Zordich is not averse to having his public comments be a part of his sending a message. Let me remind you again that that is exactly what he did last spring when about LaVert Hill he said he said the following.

?Lavert is a natural at it. Lavert has got to get better at finishing, straining, more effort, but talent ? he has it. He just has to make up his mind on how he wants this to roll. ?

Now we get word that Hill has stepped his game up significantly. Similar challenges during Hill?s days at Detroit Cass Tech and then Detroit King were responded to the same way. So when Zordich?s recent comments about the needed improvement by his position group hit the papers, Hill?s position coach at Cass?. current Belleville headman Jermaine Crowell? made it a point to chime in.

CoachJermain Crowell on Twitter

?@SamWebb77 I like him!!! I'm liking the way he's making kids earn it on the field. Can't wait to see how my kids develop under him.?
https://twitter.com/JermainCrowell/status/900211746627088387

Lost in the concern over Zordich?s blunt assessment was his reassurance that he believes the group will rise to the challenge.

?I'm not concerned,? said Zordich. ?I have confidence in myself and I have confidence in those guys. I don't want to sound like the sky is falling. Because I see it in them... that's the frustrating thing for me. I see it. It's there. Just do it on a consistent basis and we'll be okay.
?I don't want to sound the alarm. We're just trying to get these guys to move along.?

?I'm very confident that within the next week one or two of those guys is going to step up.?

Be realistic about your expectations for how quickly this group will round into form, but relax. The group will round into form.

Moving on, in fairness to the young players in the secondary, they?re probably facing in practice the most talented receiving corps they?re going to see all season. That is becoming clearer by the day. I got word yesterday that Donovan Peoples-Jones continues to light it up. He ran right by one of the freshman corners for another bomb in practice recently prompting the following response from one observer?

?Sometimes it seems like the quarterback isn?t even looking? like they?ll just throw it up because they know he is going to run under it.?

The not looking part is hyperbole, but you get the point. DPJ CONTINUES to live up to the hype.

That said, DPJ doesn?t get the nod for the top big play artist at the mid-week point. That distinction goes to Kekoa Crawford who hauled in two bombs on what looked be the same deep route. The sophomore wideout ran the route so crisply on one of the deep shots that there were five yards between he and the defender when the ball arrived.

This crew of receivers will do some damage this year.

Which brings us to the Pep Hamilton effect. Jim Harbaugh is known for his use of multiple formations, motion, and sometimes unique personal groupings. According to one observer those positives are being accentuated by Hamilton?s presence.

?There is a lot of talent at receiver, but the route concepts and combinations seem even more like the NFL. The scheme itself will get guys open. These (receivers) have the talent to turn those openings into big plays.?

Quick hitters

Nolan Ulizio was running with ones at right tackle in practice again recently. That should NOT be taken as a signal that he has locked up the spot.

David Long was running with the ones again at corner. That should NOT be taken as a signal that he has locked up the spot.

Brad Hawkins got a little run with the two at safety for the first time this week.

Metellus has been getting some run at VIPER to shore up things behind Khaleke Hudson

The physicality has been dialed back a bit as game week approaches. Two-hand touch in the run game.
I'm so flipping excited about this group of receivers. We've just never seen this type of talent at the position -- at least in the recruiting site era. And not just in talent, but in size. DPJ is 6-2, Black is 6-4 and Nico is 6 FIVE. That's some size and stuff we haven't seen in a while -- especially under RR where everyone recruited was lucky to break 6-0.

Even the slot/hands/great route running guy, Martin, is 6'+. Oh yeah, and he's fast as hell.

Just an FYI and not sure if true, but it was posted that Speight has basically won the starting job and O'Korn is the backup. Peters has fallen back in the chase.

Just an FYI and not sure if true, but it was posted that Speight has basically won the starting job and O'Korn is the backup. Peters has fallen back in the chase.

I'm surprised that Peters fell to third, but not surprised Speight won the job. I was hoping Peters would grasp the spot because of his high upside, but Speight will do just fine.

He's only played for one year, so here's to hoping he takes a leap forward in his second year. Harbaugh is known for his QBs taking a big step forward in their second year of starting.

Let's make gator nuggets in 8 days! :cheers:

Interesting twist on Peters. Also disappointing to hear. From umbig11 at Touch the Banner:

Speight has won the QB battle and is the starter. O’Korn has won the backup position. Peters is fading. Dylan McCaffery would play in front of Peters if not for a redshirt.

— extra note: Some little things show up under pressure/live contact. Instead of picking on Peters I will just highlight DM’s strengths. Release, accuracy, poise, command, arm strength etc. He is very confident and talented. He will be very competitive moving forward. Peters is no slouch. There is a lot of talent around him. Hope that helps.

Back