Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kevin Johnson mayor tackles protester who hit him with a pie

yeah, he didn't just tackle him, he beat the shit out of him.

Johnson and his wife, Michelle Rhee, are whores for the charter school movement. their nefarious acts pushing charters have been well-documented on the web.

he's done a lot of bad things over his career. I'm surprised this isn't getting more news so far... he and his wife are national figures. Maybe on the less-important end of the spectrum, but still.

Yeah he sounds like a real dirt bag politician.

Last edited:
It's all over the news here. A lot of us are wondering why it isn't national news. I'm sure the reason is a combo of Hillary, trump and the police shootings, but it makes me wonder...If KJ was white and the protester was black, how soon would the national media pick it up and lump it together with systemic racism?

Sorry for injecting race into the discussion, but there's a huge double standard going on. KJ beat the shit out of that guy, and while I know it wasn't racially motivated, I doubt the national media would pass on this story if it was some conservative white mayor beating up a blm protester over a pie.

It's all over the news here. A lot of us are wondering why it isn't national news. I'm sure the reason is a combo of Hillary, trump and the police shootings, but it makes me wonder...If KJ was white and the protester was black, how soon would the national media pick it up and lump it together with systemic racism?

Sorry for injecting race into the discussion, but there's a huge double standard going on. KJ beat the shit out of that guy, and while I know it wasn't racially motivated, I doubt the national media would pass on this story if it was some conservative white mayor beating up a blm protester over a pie.

I'm surprised that it isn't getting more national attention because the pie thrower looks like Jesus.

Kevin Johnson should be charged with assault and battery.

Maybe.

He was physically assaulted and he had a right to defend himself but self defense isn't carte blanch to brutalize an assailant.

Under the law (well, as you know) a person is limited to "reasonable force" in self defense and possibly Johnson went beyond "reasonable force" - I wasn't there and I didn't see what happened.

We'll see what the DA there does.

no. the pie throwing was over. he was not defending himself from anything, he was aggressively beating the shit out of someone who posed no further threat to him.

no. the pie throwing was over. he was not defending himself from anything, he was aggressively beating the shit out of someone who posed no further threat to him.

Maybe so. The pie thrower was rightly charged though. We'll see what happens.

did he chase him down? where's the video that shows he was no longer a threat or that Kevin Johnson clearly knew there was nothing more than pie that had been thrown on him and he was not in any danger at all? Dumbass hippie, throws a pie at a world class athlete and gets his ass kicked - good.

did he chase him down? where's the video that shows he was no longer a threat or that Kevin Johnson clearly knew there was nothing more than pie that had been thrown on him and he was not in any danger at all? Dumbass hippie, throws a pie at a world class athlete and gets his ass kicked - good.

if nothing else (and there IS nothing else), at least you're views are consistent. consistently awful, but consistent.

if nothing else (and there IS nothing else), at least you're views are consistent. consistently awful, but consistent.

yes, I'm always calling for evidence before drawing a conclusion whereas you jump to conclusions based on your prejudices - so we're BOTH being consistent. I find this post particularly funny since you're always accusing me of racism yet I'm here asking you for proof that the black guy, who you accuse of assault and battery on a white guy, actually did what you accuse him of - without any actual evidence other than your hatred of him for supporting charter schools. So again, got any evidence you hateful, racist piece of shit?

by the way, I haven't taken a view here - I don't know if Johnson should be charged or not. You leveled the accusation, so I figured there was some video to support your view. When I wasn't able to find it, I asked for it. I'm undecided at this point but leaning toward justified self defense.

Last edited:
well "pieing" leaders is kind of a well-known form of social protest. typically, the pie-er is arrested and convicted of some minor offense, but in no case would any reasonable person (i.e. not you) think a pieing incident at a public event would be a physical threat that justified a violent reaction. i could understand if Johnson's staff or security detail were to throw him out or restrain him until police arrived. totally reasonable. but for johnson to beat the shit out of him is insane.

by all accounts the guy threw the pie, then backed off and yelled something about johnson's record as mayor. so... no obvious threat to johnson. then johnson charged him and beat the shit out of him. that's assault and battery. totally unjustified.

by the way, here's some history on your "world class athlete," fan boy...

- he allegedly molested an under age girl for years. one link. another. she was 15-16 he was 30. 2nd article references other potential victims as well.

- here he is starting a massive brawl by delivering a forearm shiv to Doc Rivers' jaw while setting a pick in '93

- he and his wife, Michelle Rhee, have been all-kinds of sleazy in their dealings with charter schools... I don't even know where to begin with this one. there are so many links to so many different dirty deals, lies, cheating, self-interested deals paid for with city funds...

- to promote his own career, he tried to take over the national conference of black mayors, spending Sacramento city funds and getting his charter school lobbyist allies to destroy the organization when it resisted his efforts. all detailed here.

Not surprised you'd defend Kevin Johnson. He's your kind of guy. Idiot. Scumbag.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems the assailant physically assaulted the mayor, seemingly grabbing him from behind.

From The Mercury News (used to be The San Jose Mercury News).

The mayor was greeting people eating at an outdoor charity dinner Wednesday night at Sacramento Charter High School when Thompson pulled Johnson back and shoved the pie in his face, said Johnson’s chief of staff, Crystal Strait.

The mayor, a former NBA star, swung at Thompson and then tackled him.

“There was no throwing of the pie,” said Erika Bjork, who works for a professional soccer team in Sacramento and saw the encounter up close. “This was a direct assault. It just happened that he had a pie in his hand
.”

Here is the status on any criminal investigation regarding the mayor's response:

Prosecutors will review the case, including the mayor’s reaction, after receiving the police reports, likely on Friday, district attorney spokeswoman Shelly Orio said.

“Whether you’re hit in the face with a pie or a fist, you’ve been assaulted and you’re generally allowed to respond with similar force,” said Rory Little, a former litigator and professor at University of California Hastings College of the Law.

Johnson’s response “probably is not a disproportionate reaction, though it might not be the reaction we want our public officials to have,” Little said.

Anne Marie Schubert is the Sacramento County District Attorney. Looks like she's held that position since January of 2015. Numerous LGBT web sites identify her as a big ol' lesbo.

So we'll see.

Last edited:
well "pieing" leaders is kind of a well-known form of social protest. typically, the pie-er is arrested and convicted of some minor offense, but in no case would any reasonable person (i.e. not you) think a pieing incident at a public event would be a physical threat that justified a violent reaction. i could understand if Johnson's staff or security detail were to throw him out or restrain him until police arrived. totally reasonable. but for johnson to beat the shit out of him is insane.

by all accounts the guy threw the pie, then backed off and yelled something about johnson's record as mayor. so... no obvious threat to johnson. then johnson charged him and beat the shit out of him. that's assault and battery. totally unjustified.

by the way, here's some history on your "world class athlete," fan boy...

- he allegedly molested an under age girl for years. she was 15-16 he was 30. 2nd article references other potential victims as well.

- here he is starting a massive brawl by delivering a forearm shiv to Doc Rivers' jaw while setting a pick in '93

- he and his wife, Michelle Rhee, have been all-kinds of sleazy in their dealings with charter schools... I don't even know where to begin with this one. there are so many links to so many different dirty deals, lies, cheating, self-interested deals paid for with city funds...

- to promote his own career, he tried to take over the national conference of black mayors, spending Sacramento city funds and getting his charter school lobbyist allies to destroy the organization when it resisted his efforts. all detailed here.

Not surprised you'd defend Kevin Johnson. He's your kind of guy. Idiot. Scumbag.

lol, only you can type so much and say so little. pieing is a common and well known form of protest - so much so that anyone who defends themselves when unexpectedly getting hit in the face with a pie is committing assault. are you trying to break your own record for dumbest post ever?

and again, I'm not defending Johnson, I'm just not ready to convict him of assault without evidence just because he opposes the lazy union schlubbs you so deeply love.

also, I'm not defending his character. i called him a world class athlete not a world class human being. I'm not a fan of his but I can recognize real athleticism without knowing or caring about his character. I would say the same thing about scum bags like Jordan, Rothlessberger, A-Rod, Armstrong etc, etc. Calling him a world class athlete is just that - the guy was an NBA star for years. most people who aren't incredibly stupid (i.e. not you) get the point which is, in the "world class athlete vs dirty smelly hippie fight", guess who is going to wind up getting their ass kicked. So maybe it's not a good idea for the dirty smelly hippie to assault the world class athlete.

you totally missed the point, tried to put words in my mouth then wasted a bunch of time and space trying to prove me wrong about some thing I never said or even implied - classic michturd. You are so f'n stupid it's sad. and you have no answer for why someone you think is racist would question the spurious, evidenceless accusation of assault against the black guy on a white guy. and it's not because I'm a KJ fan - I don't know anything about him other than he played in the NBA and is now mayor of Sacramento. Loser.

Last edited:
It seems the assailant physically assaulted the mayor, seemingly grabbing him from behind.

From The Mercury News (used to be The San Jose Mercury News).

The mayor was greeting people eating at an outdoor charity dinner Wednesday night at Sacramento Charter High School when Thompson pulled Johnson back and shoved the pie in his face, said Johnson’s chief of staff, Crystal Strait.

The mayor, a former NBA star, swung at Thompson and then tackled him.

“There was no throwing of the pie,” said Erika Bjork, who works for a professional soccer team in Sacramento and saw the encounter up close. “This was a direct assault. It just happened that he had a pie in his hand
.”

Here is the status on any criminal investigation regarding the mayor's response:

Prosecutors will review the case, including the mayor’s reaction, after receiving the police reports, likely on Friday, district attorney spokeswoman Shelly Orio said.

“Whether you’re hit in the face with a pie or a fist, you’ve been assaulted and you’re generally allowed to respond with similar force,” said Rory Little, a former litigator and professor at University of California Hastings College of the Law.

Johnson’s response “probably is not a disproportionate reaction, though it might not be the reaction we want our public officials to have,” Little said.

Anne Marie Schubert is the Sacramento County District Attorney. Looks like she's held that position since January of 2015. Numerous LGBT web sites identify her as a big ol' lesbo.

So we'll see.

hmmmm, this seems to contradict our resident ambulance chaser's, I mean legal expert's (LOL) "by all accounts he threw the pie and then backed off" claim. I wonder if that will disqualify his "well known form of social protest" defense. I would love to see turd argue that one before a judge. And the follow up argument, after that one is rejected "OK, but Kevin Johnson supports charter schools!" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - that would be priceless.

Update: jury in criminal trial of the pie thrower deadlocked, and the judge declared a mistrial. (link)

the pie thrower was charged with a felony - which even the judge thought ridiculous. Kevin Johnson was not charged with anything.

it's unlikely the prosecutor will re-charge the pie-thrower, since Johnson is no longer mayor of Sacramento or politically powerful in any way, and he and his equally skeezy wife have been keeping low profiles since 2016 because everyone knows how skeezy they are.

Back