Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Baseball

Guys would go from hitting 45-50 HR's a season to 95-100.

Sorry, baseball is not NASCAR, too much evolution ruins the game.

Not serious about the metal bats. Just don't get worked up every time a change is tried or made in baseball.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rulechng.shtml

There hasn't been a rule change effecting a physical aspect of baseball since the 70s.

1959 = Regulations were set up for minimum boundaries for all new parks, 325-400-325 feet.

1969 = The pitcher's mound was dropped five inches.

1969 =
The strike zone was shrunken to the area from the armpits to the top of the batter's knees.

1973 -
The American League began using designated hitter for pitchers on an experimental basis.

1975 =
The ball was permitted to be covered with cowhide because of the shortage of horses.

All this rule does is make the baseball stickier for the pitchers who continue to use foreign substances.

There hasn't been a rule change effecting a physical aspect of baseball since the 70s.

1959 = Regulations were set up for minimum boundaries for all new parks, 325-400-325 feet.

1969 = The pitcher's mound was dropped five inches.

1969 =
The strike zone was shrunken to the area from the armpits to the top of the batter's knees.

1973 -
The American League began using designated hitter for pitchers on an experimental basis.

1975 =
The ball was permitted to be covered with cowhide because of the shortage of horses.

I must've missed the part where I singled out physical changes

All this rule does is make the baseball stickier for the pitchers who continue to use foreign substances.

I'm confused by this.. Will this rule make it like all P's are using foreign substance or the opposite?

I'm confused by this.. Will this rule make it like all P's are using foreign substance or the opposite?

It will add tack to the ball that was previously illegal so that the substances that pitchers are using in direct violation of rule 3.02 and 6.02 (c) (4) won't be needed. So the MLB is violating its own rules so that the pitchers "won't" use what they are using presently.

EDIT: No comment on whether the applied substance is toxic, or actually makes the balls sticker to grab than those doctored by pitchers.

Last edited:
It will add tack to the ball that was previously illegal so that the substances that pitchers are using in direct violation of rule 3.02 and 6.02 (c) (4) won't be needed. So the MLB is violating its own rules so that the pitchers "won't" use what they are using presently.

EDIT: No comment on whether the applied substance is toxic, or actually makes the balls sticker to grab than those doctored by pitchers.

So basically because some doctored the ball this will make it so all will have that effect. If you can't beat them, cheat with them.

As Rebbiv pointed out in post #6, there have been changes with balls and the pitchers mound over time.

As Rebbiv pointed out in post #6, there have been changes with balls and the pitchers mound over time.

The two in '69 were made because pitchers were too good. The Pitcher's era.

I think Manfred is trying to change the game somehow. I assume the sticky ball had to be approved by the players association, or maybe not.

I must've missed the part where I singled out physical changes

OK. So there has been 2 changes in the last 42 years. Your statement:

Just don't get worked up every time a change is tried or made in baseball.

The two changes in the last 42 years do not impact the play of the game. 2008 was about replay and 2016 was about the 2B take out rule.

And you are right, the density of rule changes in the last 42 years is nothing to get worked up about. The projected rule changes since Manfred took over is.

The two in '69 were made because pitchers were too good. The Pitcher's era.

I think Manfred is trying to change the game somehow. I assume the sticky ball had to be approved by the players association, or maybe not.

First, how many know it went from the 15-day DL to 10-day DL?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...collective-bargaining-agreement/#364af3eb11b9

Under the new CBA, the commissioner can give the labor union 1-year notice and then implement any changes.

With a one-year notice, the new collective bargaining agreement will even give his office the jurisdiction to implement rule changes as soon as the 2018 opener.

The agenda includes raising the strike zone, installing pitch clocks and limiting trips to the mound.

First, how many know it went from the 15-day DL to 10-day DL?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...collective-bargaining-agreement/#364af3eb11b9

Under the new CBA, the commissioner can give the labor union 1-year notice and then implement any changes.

With a one-year notice, the new collective bargaining agreement will even give his office the jurisdiction to implement rule changes as soon as the 2018 opener.

The agenda includes raising the strike zone, installing pitch clocks and limiting trips to the mound.

I had read about the 10 day DL but didn't know it went through yet.

Baseball has a big ass problem.. And it's called Luxury taxes. New CBA has it going up to I believe to 210m in a 3 years or so? Higher payroll, higher salaries, higher ticket prices, higher concession prices, higher merchandise prices, MLB popularity keeps going down.

In 20 years when all those 55+ year old fans are either dead, or too old to care about baseball .. we'll be looking at NFL, College Football, Nascar, NHL, NBA, Tennis etc. will have more that watch and go to games than MLB.

3 good ideas IMO

It was raised it's even in the rule book it's raised but the umpires refuse to enforce.

Only one good plan, which was already discussed.. Baseball breaks is suppose to be 2 minutes and 5 seconds. But the average break is 3 minutes. Cut out those 55 seconds between breaks and you cutout almost 20 minutes a game.

Last edited:
It was raised it's even in the rule book it's raised but the umpires refuse to enforce.

Only one good plan, which was already discussed.. Baseball breaks between innings is suppose to be 2 minutes and 5 seconds. But the average break is 3 minutes. Cut out those 55 seconds between breaks and you cutout almost 20 minutes a game.

you keep forgetting that baseball is a business to make money. They make most of their money in those three minutes.

Baseball's problem isn't that the game is too long but there isn't enough action during the game for younger fans.

you keep forgetting that baseball is a business to make money. They make most of their money in those three minutes.

Baseball's problem isn't that the game is too long but there isn't enough action during the game for younger fans.

That's not 3 minutes of commercials, that's lollygagging. When I said suppose to it's because MLB said it's suppose to.

Back