Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Joe Thomas Memory Loss

inkfreq

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eman-joe-thomas-says-experiencing-memory-loss

Joe Thomas says he's already experiencing memory loss on a very minor level.

Now, not to minimize what he's saying, but he says in the interview that it's small things, like walking to the grocery store, and then getting there and not being able to remember what he walked there for.

Um Joe? Not that I wouldn't be very cautious about my memory if I were you.... but that happens to everyone over 30. It gets worse in your 40s. By your mid-40s... you walk into the next room and you don't remember why you did.

That's not CTE bud. That's adulting.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eman-joe-thomas-says-experiencing-memory-loss

Joe Thomas says he's already experiencing memory loss on a very minor level.

Now, not to minimize what he's saying, but he says in the interview that it's small things, like walking to the grocery store, and then getting there and not being able to remember what he walked there for.

Um Joe? Not that I wouldn't be very cautious about my memory if I were you.... but that happens to everyone over 30. It gets worse in your 40s. By your mid-40s... you walk into the next room and you don't remember why you did.

That's not CTE bud. That's adulting.

I read that article. At least he admits that he's playing with the knowledge of the risk he is taking.

I read that article. At least he admits that he's playing with the knowledge of the risk he is taking.

Yeah, he flat said that the way football provides for his family, it's worth the risk to him. I think it would be for me too.

Lol I just turned 34. Walked into the bathroom a few days ago, sat down to shit and suddenly remembered. "Why am I here? I wanted a drink of water...and I don't even have to shit."

Not to minimize his concerns, but little things like that do happen.

Lol I just turned 34. Walked into the bathroom a few days ago, sat down to shit and suddenly remembered. "Why am I here? I wanted a drink of water...and I don't even have to shit."

Not to minimize his concerns, but little things like that do happen.

EXACTLY!

I walked into the music studio at home yesterday, shut the door, and said "Why did I even come in here?".

I don't know if I intended to play bass for a while or not, but I sat in there and played for about an hour, just so the family didn't say "Yeah, Dad's losing it". They have no idea now.

Did he forget what he was shopping for or did he forget he didn't need to shop for Groceries? Different things.. No one walks into a groceries store and then wonders why they're in a grocery store unless there's a problem.

Did he forget what he was shopping for or did he forget he didn't need to shop for Groceries? Different things.. No one walks into a groceries store and then wonders why they're in a grocery store unless there's a problem.

Not true at all bud. I've done it myself.

You're sitting at home, and you think "Man, I want some pork rinds". So you get up, and walk down to the store, and when you get there... shit, what was I coming for?

Not true at all bud. I've done it myself.

You're sitting at home, and you think "Man, I want some pork rinds". So you get up, and walk down to the store, and when you get there... shit, what was I coming for?

But it's not like you meant to go to the music store. You just forgot what you wanted.

"Short-term memory loss -- hard times remembering things that have happened recently," he said. "Like, you walk to the grocery store and you're like, 'Huh, I can't remember what I needed to get.'

He didn't go to the wrong store, he forgot what he was there for.

"Short-term memory loss -- hard times remembering things that have happened recently," he said. "Like, you walk to the grocery store and you're like, 'Huh, I can't remember what I needed to get.'

He didn't go to the wrong store, he forgot what he was there for.

That's not short term memory loss. It's when you ate, and forgot you just ate. He remembered to go to the store.. Anyone 5 up is going to forget stuff at a grocery store if they have a bunch of things they need to get. That's why most have lists..

And with your story, pork grinds.. You eventually remembered. Short term loss, you don't remember. It's like eating dinner, 10 minutes later you want to eat again because you forget you ate in the first place. That's short term memory loss.. What you're describing is you forgot what you ate -- very much different.

Last edited:
That's not short term memory loss. It's when you ate, and forgot you just ate. He remembered to go to the store.. Anyone 5 up is going to forget stuff at a grocery store if they have a bunch of things they need to get. That's why most have lists..

And with your story, pork grinds.. You eventually remembered. Short term loss, you don't remember. It's like eating dinner, 10 minutes later you want to eat again because you forget you ate in the first place. That's short term memory loss.. What you're describing is you forgot what you ate -- very much different.

That's exactly what I am saying bud. That's not short term memory loss at all. That's just... well.. it just happens.

It's not like he forgot walking to the store. He just forgot what he wanted.

That's exactly what I am saying bud. That's not short term memory loss at all. That's just... well.. it just happens.

It's not like he forgot walking to the store. He just forgot what he wanted.

I agree with that but my first question was because Thomas had an open ended thought .. I wasn't sure what he meant.. I had to be reminded twice today, from this forum, that the draft was tonight.

It's probably some kind of defense mechanism. He is coming to grips with the fact that he spent his whole lousy career in Cleveland and is trying to block it all out.

Back