Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Football Tix

now that you mention your stepson, I do remember you saying he wasn't initially happy with your move, but I assumed for some reason you stayed in Michigan.

I hear you about the South. Texas (Gulf Coast/Houston region at least) is nice from October to about April and then the heat, humidity, and mosquitos at night pretty much mean I stay indoors as much as possible. The county I live in and the county I work in are pretty diverse and reasonably moderate (both were blue in the last election) but you get outside of that and it gets bad in a hurry. like openly racist, angry and proud. plus lots of guns and pickup trucks (although you see those even in Houston).

some may say "so what? don't talk politics, keep to yourself, live and let live." and they're right to a point. But it also means it's hard to make connections, and become part of a community.

And it goes way beyond politics when you have those openly racist, angry and proud folks...which is what I was getting at. It doesn't really impact my day to day at all, but I hear some disturbing stories from my step-son about his school. And we're already in the "good" district.

But yeah, about that previous post, my step-son has adjusted pretty well. He has a good set of friends, is running track and cross country, and has a girlfriend (ugh). Still misses Monroe, but starting out his HS career as the new kid probably forced him to focus more on school work and get off to a good start. He was a straight-A student throughout elementary and most of middle school, but started to slack off in 8th grade. I think he had a couple friends that were on a bad path...I like to think he wouldn't have followed, but you never know. He's sporting a 4.0 so far through two years at his new school, so all is good.

When Michigan plays at Va Tech in 2021 that's only about 2.5 hours from where I live now. Wishing it was sooner though, probably a 50/50 chance we'll move again in the next couple years.

If I were you I would hold off on moving until after you go to that game in 2021.

How many times in a lifetime does an opportunity like that come along?

Also MichChamp should drive up to Dallas and go to the game at Jerry World.

Don't worry about your kids' college tuition; next election Bernie will win and everybody's tuition will be free.

If I were you I would hold off on moving until after you go to that game in 2021.

How many times in a lifetime does an opportunity like that come along?

Also MichChamp should drive up to Dallas and go to the game at Jerry World.

Don't worry about your kids' college tuition; next election Bernie will win and everybody's tuition will be free.

Some damn good advice right there.

I'm guessing from the looks of the schedule my friend will take me to one of these games..

Cincinnati, Air Force , Rutgers or Minnesota

Last edited:
From flying to games from lis angrles, i am now going to none this year

Unkess i get a job that pays more than $10 an hour

some may say "so what? don't talk politics, keep to yourself, live and let live." and they're right to a point. But it also means it's hard to make connections, and become part of a community.

That, and every now and then you'll run into people that fish for your opinions. I get a lot more "Trump sucks, am I right?" than "Trump's great, am I right?" But either way, you can't always completely keep your opinions to yourself without going all "I don't talk politics", which also sucks.

Funny because I've had buddies who are typically more left-leaning complain about living in Brooklyn and Portland, respectively, because of the lack of diversity in those cities ...being so overwhelmingly "progressive" and that it's just so "in your face" all the time.

I've only had one (1) person spout off on politics to me here, and it was the 2nd day in Texas... obese clerk at the uhaul storage place immediately started telling my brother and I his "theory" about how Hillary had the US ambassador to Libya killed because he found out she was running guns to Syria (somehow this illicit activity eluded the CIA, NSA, FBI, Pentagon, ATF, Secret Service, even though they have more or less all our communications wiretapped at all times, and as secretary of state she wouldve been surrounded by aides, security detail almost 24/7...) and you could believe it was true because the guy who told him was "ex military." we politely said "oh wow, really?" paid the bill, and left.

I told my brother as we left "Shit...Texas is gonna SUUUUUUUCK"

but that's been literally the only time someone has gotten political with me here, going on 2 years. Houston is a pretty liberal town, even by national standards, so I'm not really surprised.

more commonly People have tried to feel out what church I attend, but my canned response "Oh, I'm not religious" seems to end it there, and they move on to talk about something less sensitive, like football, or more typically fishing

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only had one (1) person spout off on politics to me here, and it was the 2nd day in Texas... obese clerk at the uhaul storage place immediately started telling my brother and I his "theory" about how Hillary had the US ambassador to Libya killed because he found out she was running guns to Syria (somehow this illicit activity eluded the CIA, NSA, FBI, Pentagon, ATF, Secret Service, even though they have more or less all our communications wiretapped at all times, and as secretary of state she wouldve been surrounded by aides, security detail almost 24/7...) and you could believe it was true because the guy who told him was "ex military." we politely said "oh wow, really?" paid the bill, and left.

This is the equivalent of the theory that bombs were planted in the twin towers to blow them to smithereens when the planes flew into them on 911.

I told my brother as we left "Shit...Texas is gonna SUUUUUUUCK"

but that's been literally the only time someone has gotten political with me here, going on 2 years. Houston is a pretty liberal town, even by national standards, so I'm not really surprised.

more commonly People have tried to feel out what church I attend, but my canned response "Oh, I'm not religious" seems to end it there, and they move on to talk about something less sensitive, like football, or more typically fishing

From my experience, that has far less to do with religion than it does social standing in Texas. Both Dallas and Houston ...Church is a social outlet.

From my experience, that has far less to do with religion than it does social standing in Texas. Both Dallas and Houston ...Church is a social outlet.

yeah. I wonder where that puts me on their social standing chart? I get the sense a lot of them never thought they'd meet an actual atheist in person, let alone one who seemed normal. I think I might as well be a martian to them.

yeah. I wonder where that puts me on their social standing chart? I get the sense a lot of them never thought they'd meet an actual atheist in person, let alone one who seemed normal. I think I might as well be a martian to them.

Wife's family in Dallas, it's like their entire social network is their church. And we've met some nice people but between Bible Study, retreats, Kids parties and regular ..all day Sundays at church, it's a lot of Church.

And I'm a preacher kid ..I get parish but it's a whole different level in TX.

For the most hardcore, it's more like you're playing the wrong sport. Catholics and Lutherans, sure, we don't like them, but an atheist? (Disclaimer: I have no idea what specific religions make up the population of Texas.)

You say you like Oklahoma football, you're an enemy, you say you like Arsenal and they don't know what to make of that.

Tell 'em you're a polyatheist.
https://i.redd.it/folpip0wr9zy.jpg

Last edited:
For the most hardcore, it's more like you're playing the wrong sport. Catholics and Lutherans, sure, we don't like them, but an atheist? (Disclaimer: I have no idea what specific religions make up the population of Texas.)

Judging from teh Churches and Church billboards I see, there are mostly lots of Baptists and Methodists here. Baylor and SMU, are the private colleges that exist for the rich kids of each of those respective denominations. Then there are a boatload of nondenominational Christians that go to these megachurches that mail out fliers that show them all having fun and playing Christian Rock together.

there are lots of Catholics too, but it's a different mix... northern cities have more Italian, Irish, & Polish catholics. There are actually a lot of Germans in Texas. There's even a sub dialect of German spoken here. These aren't like the Germans that precision engineered Audis and Volkswagens though... these are real redneck Germans.

If you go to the opera or any museums here, you'll notice Saudi Aramco and a lot of Arabic surnames among the benefactors and honorees. Rich oilmen of all creeds end up here as well. They know that among the Oil Billionaires, oil is thicker than blood or any religion.

Fucking buckeye game now, again.

WIN over Fickell
Broken foot game 2pt non-conversion
Beatdown in 15

Time to even the record!

I just received notice that my friend scored us good seats on the UM sideline for the UF game for close to nothing. Fuck yeah! (pays to have a friend who's dad works in arena management).

I just received notice that my friend scored us good seats on the UM sideline for the UF game for close to nothing. Fuck yeah! (pays to have a friend who's dad works in arena management).

Nice!!!!

Try to get on TV now

Back in the days when my mom was living in Texas toward the end of her life, I used to spend a good amount of time there in Dallas.

I don't think anybody ever once asked me about my religion or what I believed or didn't believe.

I don't think anybody cared.

It seems to me in Dallas that Jesus and God definitely take a backseat to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys.

Last edited:
Back