Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

QB Competition

if you consider QB the most important position on offense, if not the team... this is pretty damn troubling, considering we don't return many starters on either side of the ball.

Had been hoping Speight would continue to improve, and therefore would be a lock.

I really, really hope this is just Harbaugh's way of sending Speight a message he has to get better, because I don't want to listen to "QB controversy" crap all season.

Last edited by a moderator:
here's hoping that our running game will be so solid, it won't matter.

I hope Peters wins the job. Speight is fine, but his ceiling is limited. I won't be upset whatsoever if he's the starter. He's been through the fire for a season and his experience is valuable. Peters is more gifted, but lack of experience may prevent him from having the job.

Either way, my biggest concern is the o-line. Who is going to be our RT? Will we have a C that can replicate Cole or even come close?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am actually encouraged that there is competition.

sure, me too! But there's COMPETITION and then there's "competition"

I really hope it's the latter, and this is just Harbaugh sending a message. As much as I agree the best guy should play and lead, I'd rather the guy with 12+ starts is him, instead of the guy with 0 starts, so that we don't have to endure rookie mistakes costing us winnable games.

granted, since Harbaugh didn't even bring Speight to the media days to talk to the press, when he would be expected to be one of the leaders on the team... it's a pretty strong message.

Only one man knows for sure whether Speight has gotten worse (or Peters is just that good) or Speight just needs a wakeup call.

I hope Peters wins the job. Speight is fine, but his ceiling is limited. I won't be upset whatsoever if he's the starter. He's been through the fire for a season and his experience is valuable. Peters is more gifted, but lack of experience may prevent him from having the job.

Either way, my biggest concern is the o-line. Who is going to be our RT? Will we have a C that can replicate Cole or even come close?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Cole is still on the team, so at least Cole can replicate himself if needed.

sure, me too! But there's COMPETITION and then there's "competition"

I really hope it's the latter, and this is just Harbaugh sending a message. As much as I agree the best guy should play and lead, I'd rather the guy with 12+ starts is him, instead of the guy with 0 starts, so that we don't have to endure rookie mistakes costing us winnable games.

Other M QBs have unseated an incumbent before. It's not that uncommon. If a challenger has more potential than the present starter and the long view is that the team will be better as a result, I can expect and endure the learning curve. And if the process improves Speight, then the result is the same: the team is better.

Didn't he say something similar his first year when Rudock was here?

If he only mentioned Speight and Peters I might buy it...but throwing in O'Korn and repeatedly saying that Wilton is in a good spot gives it away. Harbaughspeak 101.

Didn't he say something similar his first year when Rudock was here?

If he only mentioned Speight and Peters I might buy it...but throwing in O'Korn and repeatedly saying that Wilton is in a good spot gives it away. Harbaughspeak 101.

Well it made perfect sense. When Rudock came he didn't even see him until fall. Had no idea if he would win. Obviously you don't have to announce the winner the first second you realize it either. I think it's interesting because previous comments about Speight made by Harbaugh were sounding like Speight had the job locked up. After spring and now here in the fall he has kind of retracted that kind of attitude.

Well it made perfect sense. When Rudock came he didn't even see him until fall. Had no idea if he would win. Obviously you don't have to announce the winner the first second you realize it either. I think it's interesting because previous comments about Speight made by Harbaugh were sounding like Speight had the job locked up. After spring and now here in the fall he has kind of retracted that kind of attitude.

Pretty sure he kept the mystery going with Rudock up until the first game. I feel comfortable in believing that it was blatantly obvious who the best QB was throughout fall camp.

Do you think there's better than a 0% chance that O'Korn will start? I understand that he doesn't have to in order for what Harbaugh has said to be true, but that's what makes it coach speak.

Last edited:
Finally, there is a QB competition at Michigan. There hasn't been a true QB competition...well, since Threet/Sheridan, but before that, a real QB competition...M Gutz vs true freshman Henne? Maybe but that ended up with M Gutz tearing his labrum and missing his much anticipated senior season. Brady/Henson? Yep. That is probably the last real, true QB competition in AA. It's way overdue. No...O'Korn isn't in the mix, but he might be a couple of snaps away, so he has to be ready.

Think about it, Navarre was the starter for 3 seasons...no competition. Then we got Henne for 4, no competition. Then Threet/Sheridan, but that was just 2 bad choices. Denard came in and he was the man, then Devin came in and he was the man. There weren't any choices those years. Rudock came in and he was far and away the best QB on the roster. Then last year, Speight was light years ahead of Okorn. We didn't realize that until Okorn actually played and then we knew.

This year, Peters and Speight will have a real competition and I hope it really is a competition.

Finally, there is a QB competition at Michigan. There hasn't been a true QB competition...well, since Threet/Sheridan, but before that, a real QB competition...M Gutz vs true freshman Henne? Maybe but that ended up with M Gutz tearing his labrum and missing his much anticipated senior season. Brady/Henson? Yep. That is probably the last real, true QB competition in AA. It's way overdue. No...O'Korn isn't in the mix, but he might be a couple of snaps away, so he has to be ready.

Think about it, Navarre was the starter for 3 seasons...no competition. Then we got Henne for 4, no competition. Then Threet/Sheridan, but that was just 2 bad choices. Denard came in and he was the man, then Devin came in and he was the man. There weren't any choices those years. Rudock came in and he was far and away the best QB on the roster. Then last year, Speight was light years ahead of Okorn. We didn't realize that until Okorn actually played and then we knew.

This year, Peters and Speight will have a real competition and I hope it really is a competition.

Wasn't there another freshman that came in with Denard that battled him?

Edit: Looked it up and it was Tate Forcier. Didn't he actually beat Denard out for the job?

Last edited:
I don't consider Threet/Sheridan a real QB competition.

Forcier/Robinson maybe?

John Navarre didn't deserve the shit he got, but I wonder how many people's
opinions were formed from some of the struggles his soph year (2001 season) when Henson left early. In 2002 & 2003 he played pretty well.

Edit: Looked it up and it was Tate Forcier. Didn't he actually beat Denard out for the job?

yep. Tate Forcier lead the team for much of 2009. Once we started losing though, he rotated more with Denard.

seemed like RR was also easier on Denard than he was on Forcier.

looks like Forcier hasn't done ANYTHING since leaving Ann Arbor when Hoke was hired.

I hope so too. It's only a good thing. I trust harbaugh to pick one guy and stick with him.

Wasn't there a QB competition between Robinson and Gardner? Kind of? It probably would have been better all around if Gardner had taken over as QB and Robinson had changed to a RB or receiver (though I don't know if he had any talent for catching the ball). Gardner would have had the chance to develop as a QB which he didn't really have, and Robinson would have had a chance to develop as a RB or receiver. It would have been better for Robinson for his pro career to have developed in a position other than QB. The pro career he has had has been disappointing.

Thanks. I forgot all about Tate Forcier. Now I wish I could forget about him again...

I don't consider Threet/Sheridan a real QB competition.

Forcier/Robinson maybe?

John Navarre didn't deserve the shit he got, but I wonder how many people's
opinions were formed from some of the struggles his soph year (2001 season) when Henson left early. In 2002 & 2003 he played pretty well.

Navarre was a damn good QB his last season. I believe he was a 5th year senior that year.

Back