Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 121 Tigers vs. Dodgers August 18, 2017

Did I just hear that right the dodgers are 51-9 over thier last 60 after they win tonight? Holy shit!

Miggy just missed hitting one out,

after 7 complete,

7 - 4,

Last edited:
A week ago, Assmus says he will bring Jimenez into less stressful relief situations,

How much long is Zimmerman under contract.. Boy I can't wait until he's gone.

Justin Upton hit a 420-foot double and a 340-foot home run. He had three hits that bounced off defender's gloves. He had a home run trot interrupted when he realized he forgot to touch first base.

And, for good measure, he finished the night with another 433-foot bomb in the ninth inning.

Upton continues to be a bright spot in an otherwise dismal year for the Detroit Tigers, who lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers 8-5 on Friday night at Comerica Park.

Upton's offense couldn't overcome a rough start by Jordan Zimmermann, who allowed 10 hits, including six doubles.

With the loss, the Tigers have dropped 11 of their past 13 games. They are 53-68.
The Tigers are now 15 games under .500 for the first time since Sept. 24, 2008. Just terrible....

NOTABLE
The Dodgers activated first baseman Adrian Gonzalez from the 60-day disabled list before the game. Gonzalez doubled to right field in his first at-bat since June 11.

Dodgers starter Rich Hill was pitching on Michigan night at Comerica Park, an appropriate coincidence for the former Wolverine.
Hill was with the Oakland Athletics when he last appeared in Detroit in 2017 and threw seven shutout innings. The Tigers eclipsed that in the first inning on Friday.

Tigers starter Jordan Zimmermann had thrown three consecutive quality starts before running into problems in the last week. In his last two starts, including Friday night, he's allowed 14 earned runs on 18 hits in 8 2/3 innings.
He allowed four runs on four hits in that frame. Adrian Gonzalez doubled, Logan Forsythe singled, Chris Taylor doubled and Corey Seager singled, all scoring runs.

The Dodgers (86-34) scored two more on doubles in the fourth inning, courtesy of Taylor and Joc Pederson. Zimmermann wouldn?t last much longer, pulled with one out in the top of the sixth inning after allowing two more hits.
His night was one to forget: 5 1/3 innings pitched, seven runs on 10 hits. Zimmermann walked two and struck out five. Zimmermann?s season ERA is 5.87. No one need remind the Tigers that not two years into a $110-million contract, this is looking like a pre-bubble overpriced house now under water.

Tigers left-hander Matthew Boyd, who last started five days ago, entered the game in relief in the eighth inning. Boyd's next start is being pushed back to Tuesday due to off days, freeing him up to work out of the bullpen.

The Tigers started strong, when Ian Kinsler walked and stole second base and then third, before Justin Upton and Miguel Cabrera hit RBI doubles. Upton, who went 4-for-5, hit his 24th and 25th home runs of the season, and Victor Martinez slapped his 10th homer ? all solo shots ? but the Tigers were unable to get anything else going.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/dodgers...918#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491918
Boxscore.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/v-marts-solo-home-run/c-1731875883?tid=8877502
Webvideo highlights and lowlights of the Tigers loss to the dodgers.

Tigers hitters, in fact, had a fine night against Dodgers starter Rich Hill and his bullpen mates: 14 hits, with Cabrera, Martinez, James McCann and Mikie Mahtook each getting two hits each.

Likewise, their pitching apart from Zimmermann?s start was fine (Daniel Stumpf, Warwick Saupold, Matt Boyd, Joe Jimenez in relief).
But seven runs against a starter makes it difficult to win against any team. And doubly difficult when that team with all the early runs is the team that has, in 2017, been the rage of baseball.

Roars
Ian Kinsler stole two bases ? second and third ? in the first inning.

Justin Upton went four-for-five with two home runs and finished a triple shy of the cycle.

Hisses
Jordan Zimmermann didn?t have it tonight. He had a final line of 5 1⁄3 innings, ten hits, seven runs, two walks, and five strikeouts on 91 pitches (60 strikes).

Jose Iglesias hit a ground ball with runners on base in every at-bat ? three fielder?s choices and a double play.

Tigers offense with runners on base: Detroit left a total of nine runners on base. Five of those became outs on the base paths to end five different innings.

Stats and stuff
Coming into this evening, the Tigers had not lost a game at home against the Dodgers since 2008.

The Dodgers tied their season-high in doubles tonight with a total of six.
Los Angeles is now 52 games over .500 with a record of 86-34.

Is hitting for the cycle an official statistics?

Because if it is, if you hit two homeruns a single and a double, you should get credit for hitting for the cycle.

Because on one of your homeruns you also got to third base. To me it's simple math. You got to third base but you also got the home. You should get credit to getting yourself to third base.

Not that tonight's game didn't suck but what's new?

So every player who is it for home runs in a game in my opinion has also also hit for the cycle.

But of course so what? Four homeruns is a way bigger event than hitting for the cycle.

Is hitting for the cycle an official statistics?

Because if it is, if you hit two homeruns a single and a double, you should get credit for hitting for the cycle.

Because on one of your homeruns you also got to third base. To me it's simple math. You got to third base but you also got the home. You should get credit to getting yourself to third base.

Not that tonight's game didn't suck but what's new?

So every player who is it for home runs in a game in my opinion has also also hit for the cycle.

But of course so what? Four homeruns is a way bigger event than hitting for the cycle.

No, you need the triple. I suppose he could have purposely not touched home plate and walk to the bench. They would have called him out and awarded him the triple.. Not sure I've seen that either on purpose or accident. I did see some hit a HR pass the runner ahead of him past third base, though not sure they called him out or the one he passed out..

Last edited:
Or he could've just stayed on third and let the next hitter come to the plate.

If the score was 22 to 4 and there were two outs maybe someone would do that.

Maybe a lot more cycles have been achieved and no one has looked at the math or the logic.

If you have four of something, you also have three of something. That is the most basic and simple arithmetic and logic there is.

If you have had a homerun a single and a double, and you hit a homerun, you have achieved three bases in the final at bat. You also have achieved an additional base. That doesn't mean you didn't achieve the third-base.

With all the unimaginable math geek nerds who follow baseball and have nothing better to do but create sabermetrics and all kinds of silly shit, it's amazing to me that this has never occurred to anybody before. Maybe because geeks and nerds's don't actually think about shit logically. Maybe none of them have ever taken a college level course in introductory logic, I don't know.

If you have achived getting to first base, getting to second base, getting to third-base, and getting home in four different at bats, you've hit for the cycle arithmetically and logically. If in any or in all of those base hits you've achieved more than getting to first base and second base and third-base and home in four different at bats, you still hit for the cycle. It's arithmetically and logically indisputable.

Last edited:
Or he could've just stayed on third and let the next hitter come to the plate.

If the score was 22 to 4 and there were two outs maybe someone would do that.

Maybe a lot more cycles have been achieved and no one has looked at the math or the logic.

If you have four of something, you also have three of something. That is the most basic and simple arithmetic and logic there is.

If you have had a homerun a single and a double, and you hit a homerun, you have achieved three bases in the final at bat. You also have achieved an additional base. That doesn't mean you didn't achieve the third-base.

With all the unimaginable math geek nerds who follow baseball and have nothing better to do but create sabermetrics and all kinds of silly shit, it's amazing to me that this has never occurred to anybody before. Maybe because geeks and nerds's don't actually think about shit logically. Maybe none of them have ever taken a college level course in introductory logic, I don't know.

If you have achived getting to first base, getting to second base, getting to third-base, and getting home in four different at bats, you've hit for the cycle arithmetically and logically. If in any or in all of those base hits you've achieved more than getting to first base and second base and third-base and home in four different at bats, you still hit for the cycle. It's arithmetically and logically indisputable.

There have been times players have stopped at 2B when they could have went to 3B. Double was the last one they needed. Not sure anyone would give up a HR for a triple. Plus, I don't think you can just stop.

There have been times players have stopped at 2B when they could have went to 3B. Double was the last one they needed. Not sure anyone would give up a HR for a triple. Plus, I don't think you can just stop.

Probably almost every game a player stops second when the player maybe could've gotten to third. Lots of players stop at first base when they maybe could've stretched a base hit to a double. I guess sometimes a player stops with the triple when, that player possibly could've had an inside the park homerun.

People forgo attempting the extra bass and settle to stop safely every single game.

A player really doesn't know for sure if they "could have gone" until the player actually goes and arrives safely.

EDIT: Correction-obviously in the rare case of a no-hitter the above doesn't apply. A player cannot attempt pursuing an additional base without safely getting to the base before it.

Last edited:
Probably almost every game a player stops second when the player maybe could've gotten to third. Lots of players stop at first base when they maybe could've stretched a base hit to a double. I guess sometimes a player stops with the triple when, that player possibly could've had an inside the park homerun.

People forgo attempting the extra bass and settle to stop safely every single game.

A player really doesn't know for sure if they "could have gone" until the player actually goes and arrives safely.

EDIT: Correction-obviously in the rare case of a no-hitter the above doesn't apply. A player cannot attempt pursuing an additional base without safely getting to the base before it.

I'm referring to the player who stops at 2B when the ball is still in the RF corner. Those type of plays. It was an easy triple, some go get the triple some settle for the cycle.

I'm referring to the player who stops at 2B when the ball is still in the RF corner. Those type of plays. It was an easy triple, some go get the triple some settle for the cycle.

As staggeringly infrequent it is that a player hits for the cycle, the probabilities that a player would ever have the choice to hold a triple to a double to achieve the cycle is absurd beyond comprehension, let alone more than once.

Name a single event of when anyone ever claimed it has happened.

Last edited:
Back