Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 123 Tigers vs. dodgers August 20, 2017

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup:
1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
2. Alex Presley, RF
3. Justin Upton, LF
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B
5. Mikie Mahtook, CF
6. Victor Martinez, DH
7. John Hicks, C
8. Andrew Romine, 3B
9. Dixon Machado, SS
Justin Verlander, RHP
Bench: C James McCann, 3B Nicholas Castellanos, SS Jose Iglesias, OF JaCoby Jones.

dodgers lineup:
granderson lf
seager ss
bearded bozo the clown 3b
gonzalez 1b
puig rf
utley dh
forsythe 2b
barnes c
hernandez cf
maeda rhp

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/articl...-maeda-as-la-goes-for-sweep/?topicId=26688732
Verlander takes the ball in Detroit vs. LA.
Tigers official site

https://www.baseball-reference.com/previews/2017/DET201708200.shtml
Detroit Tigers vs. Los Angeles Dodgers, at Comerica Park, August 20, 2017 Matchups, Tickets, Preview.
Baseball Reference

Things to know about this game
Regular Detroit Tigers starters Jose Iglesias, Nicholas Castellanos and James McCann will get off days on Sunday, the finale of a three-game series against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Dixon Machado will start at shortstop, Andrew Romine will play third and John Hicks will catch Justin Verlander for the second consecutive start.

While Verlander will be trying to overcome a three-homer outing in a loss at Texas on Tuesday, he'll be looking for his 30th Interleague victory.
Verlander is 29-5 with a 2.94 ERA in 41 career regular-season starts against the National League. His only start against the Dodgers was a victory on July 8, 2014, at Comerica Park.

Sunday is the only day of the week in which the Tigers hold a winning record this season. They're 10-9 on Sundays.

Damn.

Local Dodgers telecast team talking about Verlander potentially to the Cubs or the Astros before the end of August.

Is that a real thing?

Damn.

Local Dodgers telecast team talking about Verlander potentially to the Cubs or the Astros before the end of August.

Is that a real thing?

They have been talking about this trading Verlander for a couple of months.
Tigers GM Al Avila denies it's a salary dump, so why the fuck do you want to trade your best pitcher and face of the Tigers???
Tigers front office is a complete cluster fuck.

and there it is, with an umpire who has fewest incorreect calls, expands the strike zone and rings up Kinsler, with that bulleseye on him after the Angel Hernandez argument and the umps as a group were upset with the commissioner for not suspending him, and some wearing white arm bands.
Bunch of bastards, tell us again they are not a vindictive group??

Last edited:
Dick Enberg said early on during Friday nights game that Al Kaline will be in the booth during todays game.

As I recall there is usually a later in the season series against the California Angels of Los Angeles in Anaheim, but this year there isn't-looks like the final series was in June. I guess the Oakland As come for a series before the end of this season.

So looks like this is probably the last Tiger game I'll be watching on television this terrible season-I guess I should look at that as a blessing.

I guess very possibly the last game I'll be watching Justin Verlander on television pitching in a Tiger uniform - not such a blessing.

Last edited:
Kaline is in the booth bottom 3rd and top 4th,

Kaline says Willie Mays is the best player he ever saw play,

Talked about his not coming back for home run 400, and the rainouts of 2 homeruns,

Talks about Charlie "Paw Paw" Maxwell, and Mickey Lolich,

Kaline says Nolan Ryan and Frank Sullivan toughest pitchers for him,

Kaline says veteran players will have to improve, likes the young pitchers,

I could listen to Kaline talk baseball from his playing days to now all day.

Last edited:
This looks like another one of the good pitched games by JV and Tigers can't hit the opposing teams pitcher,

Great play in RF by Presley took XBH away from dodgers,

Kaline is in the booth bottom 3rd and top 4th,

Kaline says Willie Mays is the best player he ever saw play

I think I looked it up and I noticed that only Mays has more hits homeruns and gold gloves than Al Kaline.

Not that I'm saying that Kaline is the second greatest player in baseball history, and I know some people think that gold gloves are a BS statistics?

But that is some pretty rare company.

I think I looked it up and I noticed that only Mays has more hits homeruns and gold gloves than Al Kaline.

Not that I'm saying that Kaline is the second greatest player in baseball history, and I know some people think that gold gloves are a BS statistics…

But that is some pretty rare company.

I am sure you are right Tinsel,

Clemente 2 more GG, less hits and home runs than Kaline,

Junior Griffey same number GG less hits, more home runs than Al.

Ichiro same number GG more hits less homeruns than Al.

The other guys like Aaron, Frank Robinson, with all the homeruns do not have anywhere near the GG of the above.

Al missed about 450 games due to injuries out of 600 missed in his career.
Numbers would have been even better.

and back in those days the GG meant more and did go to players who were great defensively whether or not they could hit.

Last edited:
There goes JV's no-hitter and shutout, granderson with a homer.

gonna be tough for the Tigers to get a hit off maeda.

Last edited:
This looks like another one of the good pitched games by JV and Tigers can't hit the opposing teams pitcher,

Great play in RF by Presley took XBH away from dodgers,

Well, Maeda is pitching very well too.

Egg shells across the board on both sides.

This is the type of game of which Ernie Harwell would say "? And, we have a dandy."

I was waiting to press the send button until right after VerLander got Granderson. Crap.

Both no nos go out way in short order.

And now second and third with nobody out.

Let's see if the Tigers can turn it around and give JV a good win if indeed this is his last game in a Tiger uniform at Comerica.

Hicks gets the Tigers 1st hit,

Romine lines one to left center and Hicks to third Romine to second,

Machado gets the green light 3 and 0 and fouls it down right, singles past third and Tigers take the lead,

Tigers lead 2 - 1,

KC, JV won't be slated to start any of the games in the series coming up at home against the Yankees, right? If he's traded, it looks like this is going to be it at Comerica

Dodgers catcher getting more strike calls on the corners with his framing than Hicks,

KC, JV won't be slated to start any of the games in the series coming up at home against the Yankees, right? If he's traded, it looks like this is going to be it at Comerica

3 games vs. yankees JV's next start would be Friday,
I hope they do not trade him.

I am sure you are right Tinsel,

Clemente 2 more GG, less hits and home runs than Kaline,

Junior Griffey same number GG less hits, more home runs than Al.

Ichiro same number GG more hits less homeruns than Al.

The other guys like Aaron, Frank Robinson, with all the homeruns do not have anywhere near the GG of the above.

Al missed about 450 games due to injuries out of 600 missed in his career.
Numbers would have been even better.

and back in those days the GG meant more and did go to players who were great defensively whether or not they could hit.

Back then when guys were winning GG it was about defense. You can be the best today but if you hit .208 you won't win one.

Yes Sir!! Tigers MVP for the year Justin Upton hits a 2 run homer, Romine scores,

Tigers lead 4 - 1,

Back