Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 123 Tigers vs. dodgers August 20, 2017

6-1 after 119 pitches, in a season where the team stinks. Not many managers who wouldn't replace him.

Just that it might be his last start at Comerica in a Tiger uniform makes today a little different.

And Ausmus isn't like many managers anyway. He's actually even more of an idiot than most.

Last edited:
Stumpf pitching in the 9th for the Tigers,

granderson grounds to Kinsler,

seager singles to left,

red bearded bozo foul pops it to Miggy,

gonzalez strikes out,

Tigers win 6 - 1,

Verlander pitches a great game and wins his 9th for the year and 182 career Win for the Tigers,

TigersVictoryCigar!!

Last edited:
Just that it might be his last start at Comerica in a Tiger uniform makes today a little different.

And Ausmus isn't like many managers anyway. He's actually even more of an idiot than most.

JV's already had like 3 sort of send offs (standing ovations) when they thought he could be traded..

I don't see him get traded anyway. As much as I'm skeptical of why Avila wants to trade JV I still have hope they want a huge prospect and pay none of remaining salary. And because others find that too expensive I think he stays.

If we don't hear from Tinsel his TV is history..

The bullpen managed not to blow it.

Given the nature of the season my following the Tigers has mostly consisted of checking the score of the game on my handheld device a few times during the game and seeing a bunch more losses than wins reported at the end of games.

When they been on national television or when they played either of the LA teams I would tune in but that hasn't happened that much.

So when I turned on the dodger broadcast today I heard them talking about a potential Verleye under trade and this is the first I've heard about it.

JV's already had like 3 sort of send offs (standing ovations) when they thought he could be traded..

I don't see him get traded anyway. As much as I'm skeptical of why Avila wants to trade JV I still have hope they want a huge prospect and pay none of remaining salary. And because others find that too expensive I think he stays.

Today on the Dodgers post game show, former Michigan State Spartan football player-he was a tight end there I think-Steve Garvey said he thought Verlander would be traded. He thinks Verlander offers too much for a contender who wants to win now to leave on the table.

And again, if he is ended up traded-as far as Comerica goes iPhone today was it.

Today on the Dodgers post game show, former Michigan State Spartan football player-he was a tight end there I think-Steve Garvey said he thought Verlander would be traded. He thinks Verlander offers too much for a contender who wants to win now to leave on the table.

And again, if he is ended up traded-as far as Comerica goes iPhone today was it.

I think he's a big commodity as well. But the July 31st deadline teams didn't want to give up a prospect and pay full salary. Not sure anything has changed. Imo, you won't get equal value if JV is traded.

They reported that this was the first time in a long time that two pictures carried no-hitters as late in to the game as these two did today. I don't remember how long ago they said it was, Maybe they're going to report it here on the post game.

Shortly after I moved to Los Angeles the Dodgers became my National League team, especially after they got Gibson and he won the MVP and they won the World Series and 88.

So I guess now that this series is over I can get a little excited about the Dodgers; it should surprise none of you that this town is going crazy with the Dodger season so far.

Last edited:
I think he's a big commodity as well. But the July 31st deadline teams didn't want to give up a prospect and pay full salary. Not sure anything has changed. Imo, you won't get equal value if JV is traded.

You guys all know more about this than I do. What was July 31st the deadline for?

We’ve seen the Tigers waste starts like the one Justin Verlander put together on Sunday, but the offense refused to let that happen. After an early no-no watch was in force for both Verlander and Kenta Maeda, the Tigers eventually got to Dodgers’ pitching and cruised to a 6-1 victory.

Verlander racked up seventeen outs in this one before Curtis Granderson scraped a Verlander slider off the foul pole in right for the first hit, and run, of the game. A Yasiel Puig walk, the only one allowed on the day by Tigers’ pitching, had spoiled the perfect game chance in the fifth inning. The Tigers’ ace was incredible otherwise, mastering the most dangerous lineup in the game for eight innings, allowing just two hits, a walk, and racking up nine strikeouts.

Justin Verlander pitched eight innings of two-hit ball as the Tigers beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 6-1 at Comerica Park.
Verlander's bid for a no-hitter was broken up with two outs in the sixth inning when former Tiger Curtis Granderson homered off the right field foul pole.
Verlander took a no-hitter into the sixth inning and tossed eight innings of two-hit, one-run ball, helping the Tigers end a six-game losing streak.
But Verlander retired the seven of the next eight batters and left to a loud ovation at the end of the eighth.
JV allowed just two hits over eight innings. He walked one batter and struck out nine.
Verlander had 12 swing-and-miss strikes (seven with his fastball) and 20 called strikes (13 with his fastball).
His slider was also biting hard. He seemed to be throwing both the cut-slider (91-92 mph) and a regular slide (88-89 mph). He got five swing-and-misses and five called strikes with that pitch.
JV has now won four of his last five starts. And in the four wins, he’s allowed no runs in three of them, and just two runs in 29 innings.

Meanwhile, Dodgers starter Kenta Maeda was matching Verlander through five perfect innings before faltering in the sixth.
Maeda had entered the game Sunday on a six-game unbeaten streak, allowing only seven runs in 32 innings. And in his last nine starts, he was 7-1 with a 2.44 ERA.

Tigers catcher John Hicks broke up the perfect game on the first pitch of the inning. Back-to-back doubles by Andrew Romine and Dixon Machado followed. Justin Upton capped the inning with a two-run home run.

The Tigers tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the eighth on a two-run double by Miguel Cabrera. With Ian Kinsler on second and JaCoby Jones on first, he hit a laser into the gap in right-center.

There was miscommunication between Dodgers’ right fielder Puig and center fielder Kiki Hernandez and the ball dropped between them. Jones was running right on Kinsler’s back from second base to home.

Both runners scored just ahead of the throw – Kinsler standing up and Jones with a head-first slide. Pretty exhilarating play from a team not known for speed on the bases.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/dodgers...948#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491948
Boxscore.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/video/uptons-two-run-home-run/c-1750134683?tid=8877502
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers win over the dodgers.

Upton continues to mash: The Tigers' offense ended Maeda's perfect game in style, stringing together three straight hits to start the sixth that would turn the tide of the game for good. John Hicks led it off with a single to center, and Andrew Romine's double was followed closely by Dixon Machado, who smoked a two-run double for a 2-1 Tigers lead. Upton's two-run home run to left sealed the four-run frame and put Detroit on the way to snapping the Dodgers' six-game win streak.

REPLAY REVIEW
The Dodgers challenged Cabrera's advance on a wild pitch in the eighth inning, arguing Justin Turner applied the tag in time. A one-minute, eight-second review upheld the initial ruling that Cabrera was safe.

Roars
Justin Verlander: Eight innings of one run ball, with just two hits and a walk allowed. Verlander showed some of his best command of the year and overpowered the Dodgers with a dominant fastball/slider combination.

Justin Upton: Just one hit, but it was a big fly.

Miguel Cabrera: Nice to be able to put him in for a roar. Cabrera doubled as part of a two hit day with a pair of RBI and a run scored.

Dixon Machado: Had the game’s biggest hit when he doubled home Kinsler and Jones to give the Tigers a 2-1 lead.

Hicks, Dixon Machado and Andrew Romine, the Nos. 7, 8 and 9 hitters in the lineup were a combined 4-for-9 with three doubles and two RBIs.

Hisses
Took the day off for once.

Stats and Info
With today’s start, Justin Verlander got his ERA back under 4.00 and ran his K/9 for the season to 9.00.

Verlander's game score Sunday (82) was his second of the season over 80. He has had 25 such games in his career and seven since the start of the 2015 season. The latter figure is tied for the seventh most among all starters during that span. Here's the thing about an 80 game score: You don't lose. There have been 366 such performances since 2015, and in those games, starters have gone 318-2 with 46 no-decisions.

Last edited:
Garby just said something that indicated that he played defensive back in college football.

Well the primary thing that has changed going into the August 31st deadline is you know how things look going into the August 31st deadline. You have no way of knowing that going into July 31st deadline.

So you have a better idea of how much value you might be willing to give up to win now because you have a substantially better idea of what the likelihood of winning now is as opposed To the idea you would've had going into July 31.

Well the primary thing that has changed going into the August 31st deadline is you know how things look going into the August 31st deadline. You have no way of knowing that going into July 31st deadline.

So you have a better idea of how much value you might be willing to give up to win now because you have a substantially better idea of what the likelihood of winning now is as opposed To the idea you would've had going into July 31.

Maybe but teams like the Dodgers, Astros and even the Cubs knew they were playoff contenders. Especially the first two.. Of course the Dodgers, I hate by the way, don't need to make a move. They're loaded and Kershaw has been out for a while.

Last edited:
You guys all know more about this than I do. What was July 31st the deadline for?

Anyone trade-able by July 31st. After that you need to clear waivers to be traded, to anyone (assuming certain players agree) or if claimed, can only be traded to that team - all by August 31st. Slight circumstance if claimed, team could just say "okay he's yours."

Last edited:
Maybe but teams like the Dodgers, Astros and even the Cubs knew they were playoff contenders. Especially the first two.. Of course the Dodgers, I hate by the way, don't need to make a move. They're loaded and Kershaw has been out for a while.

That's a point; that said it's pretty rare that there has been a team in each league with such a virtual lock of getting to the postseason so early in the season as the Astros and the Dodgers were a month ago.

Nevertheless the Dodgers keep dealing to get even better, getting Darvish and Granderson.

In the last month the Dodgers had heated up even more and the Astros have cooled down a little bit.

Any moves by contenders going forward including VerLander or anybody else you think would be about winning in the postseason.

That's a point; that said it's pretty rare that there has been a team in each league with such a virtual lock of getting to the postseason so early in the season as the Astros and the Dodgers were a month ago.

Nevertheless the Dodgers keep dealing to get even better, getting Darvish and Granderson.

In the last month the Dodgers had heated up even more and the Astros have cooled down a little bit.

Any moves by contenders going forward including VerLander or anybody else you think would be about winning in the postseason.

For some teams but you gotta get there first. For example, AL wild cards - so many teams could still grab a spot.

For some teams but you gotta get there first. For example, AL wild cards - so many teams could still grab a spot.

The teams that the dodger telecast team talked about regarding Verlander were the Astros or the Cubs. This is the first I've heard about any of it today and no other team was mentioned; that's said, that doesn't mean there aren't others that are interested.

The nationals are all but mathematically a lock. The Cubs odds are aren't quite as good but I think they are above 90% now. Both National League West teams trailing the Dodgers have well over a 50% chance of getting there. You wouldn't think dealing for VerLander to get to wild-card Play in game would be worth it.

Boston and Cleveland are both substantially higher than 50% to win their divisions.

The Yankees chances of getting A wildcard spot are pretty high, the rest of the other contenders are I think below about 30%.

I don't know if anyone that would have to win a play in game would be willing to deal away what they would have to to get Verlander-giving up a lot with a pretty high risk of not getting past the play in game.

If he goes it would seem it will be to someone who was pretty much a lock to win their division.

The teams that the dodger telecast team talked about regarding Verlander were the Astros or the Cubs. This is the first I've heard about any of it today and no other team was mentioned; that's said, that doesn't mean there aren't others that are interested.

The nationals are all but mathematically a lock. The Cubs odds are aren't quite as good but I think they are above 90% now. Both National League West teams trailing the Dodgers have well over a 50% chance of getting there. You wouldn't think dealing for VerLander to get to wild-card Play in game would be worth it.

Boston and Cleveland are both substantially higher than 50% to win their divisions.

The Yankees chances of getting A wildcard spot are pretty high, the rest of the other contenders are I think below about 30%.

I don't know if anyone that would have to win a play in game would be willing to deal away what they would have to to get Verlander-giving up a lot with a pretty high risk of not getting past the play in game.

If he goes it would seem it will be to someone who was pretty much a lock to win their division.

It isn't about making the playoffs, it is about what you are going to do when you get there. Most teams pair down to a 3-man rotation early in the playoffs. Who wouldn't want Verlander as part of that rotation? Teams like MIN wouldn't even consider a move for Verlander, because their playoff hopes are tenuous, both this year and the next 2-3 years. Teams like LAD, NYY, CHC or HOU are built for an extended playoff runs. They also have the prospects it would take to make a deal. For most teams, they only have 1/4 of the season left (40 games, give or take). That is just 7-8 starts or so for the regular season. So any help over the next 7-8 starts would be negligible. Again, any team acquiring him would be looking at the post season and next 2-3 years of a playoff run.

Can Verlander make another team's top 3? That would be the question. And by how much?

Justin Verlander has proven over the last 9 starts that he is still an elite pitcher. Or at least can be for 1/3 of a season or more.

9 GS 7 QS 61.0 IP (6.8 IP/GS) 42 H 16 ER 17 BB 67 SO 2.36 ERA 0.97 WHIP

AL Season Rankings (Counting stats)

6th in Innings Pitched
6th in Strikeouts
T6th in AL for Quality Starts

MLB 2nd Half Rankings (All Stats)

1st in Innings Pitched
3rd in Strikeouts
3rd in LOB%
4th in OPP BAVG
5th in WHIP
10th in ERA