Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers

Old 06-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #31

Nice group of stories on Briggs/Tiger Stadium and the players Rounding Third.

Some of the posters here might recognize Taters with one of the other nicknames given to him as Mule or the Yankee Killer Frank Lary.

In 1960 that unusual trade of managers was Joe Gordon from the Indians to the Tigers for Jimmy Dykes.
iirc, Bob Scheffing managed beginning in 1961 with that great Tigers team that won 101 games and finished 8 back of the Yankees.

Your dad witnessed one heck of a play by Tigers first baseman Johnny Neun May 31.

Just a shame that Hank Aguirre didn't make the 1968 team.

A few short years after my family moved from Detroit in 1957 to Boston,
I saw first hand the Red Sox pitcher Earl Wilson at Fenway.
I was thrilled when the Tigers traded Don Demeter and Julio Navarro for Earl. I don't recall any other pitcher who could hit or should I say crush the ball like Earl. He never got cheated on a swing, much like Willie McCovey.
Whether he hit the ball or missed, he knocked the air out of the park with each swing.
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #32

I really can't remember a best day because there were so many, the ones with my Dad.. Now that he's gone I still have those memories. If I had to pick one it would be the last one, ST 2005 in Bradenton, FL Detroit vs Pittsburgh. I couldn't tell you one thing that happened that day but it was just me and my dad right before he got Alzheimer.. It's the one I remember..

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 07-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #33

In 1972 I attended both Opening Day and Game 5 of the ALCS vs Oakland both being losses. The Tigers lost the close game 2-1, when Tony Taylor flied out with a man on in the 9th. Despite losing the game and the series, the young, drunk, and rowdy Tigers fans in the lower decks knocked down the fences and swarmed onto the field, where the A's players were huddled together, celebrating.

Mostly oblivious to what was happening behind them, I soon noticed a Tigers fan approach the players, while shaking a can of soda-pop, that he must have snuck in to the stadium, then tap on Reggie Jackson's shoulder. When Jackson turned around, the kid pointed at and opened the can spraying him square in the face...lolz.

Reggie chased after him when the kid ran away, but didn't catch him, b/c by then the mounted cops and security had finally begun to round up and force the fans off the field, and one of them had caught up with and tackled the kid to the ground, and he was one of many who were caught before getting away by going too far from the stands.

Last edited by turok; 07-28-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
In 1972 I attended both Opening Day and Game 5 of the ALCS vs Oakland both being losses. The Tigers lost the close game 2-1, when Tony Taylor flied out with a man on in the 9th. Despite losing the game and the series, the young, drunk, and rowdy Tigers fans in the lower decks knocked down the fences and swarmed onto the field, where the A's players were huddled together, celebrating.

Mostly oblivious to what was happening behind them, I soon noticed a Tigers fan approach the players, while shaking a can of soda-pop, that he must have snuck in to the stadium, then tap on Reggie Jackson's shoulder. When Jackson turned around, the kid pointed at and opened the can spraying him square in the face...lolz.

Reggie chased after him when the kid ran away, but didn't catch him, b/c by then the mounted cops and security had finally begun to round up and force the fans off the field, and one of them had caught up with and tackled the kid to the ground, and he was one of many who were caught before getting away by going too far from the stands.
Reggie was able to run and was on the field after ripping his hamstring in the 4th inning?
Old 07-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by byco42 View Post
Reggie was able to run and was on the field after ripping his hamstring in the 4th inning?
Yeah, he was on the IF grass btw homeplate and the pitcher's mound, celebrating with his team-mates, when it happened, and he did try to chase and grab the kid, who briefly eluded security. I know what I saw that day.