Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers

Old 05-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

June 24, 1984

I went to the games with my uncles and cousins. I was 10 years old. My two favorite Tigers had great games. Jack Morris pitched 6 scoreless. Lance Parrish hit a home run. But the most memorable part of that game was Rupert Jones hitting it over the roof in right. The sad part was that I never saw the ball from the time it left the bat. Still was a great time watching the Tigers win with my family.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone who posted their favorite Tigers game here.
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.

Last edited by kalinecountry; 05-20-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #13

August 29th, 1992 vs Kansas City @ Tiger Stadium.

The last game I got to see with my grandpa. First 5,000 fans received a Tigers duffle bag (still have it).

The Tigers won 12-1. The 3 main things I remember were 1.) Cecil Fielder hit a BOMB down the left field line.

2.) Sweet Lou went 3 for 3 with a HR, proving he still had it late in his career.

3.) Gary Pettis hit his only HR of the year in what would be his final season.

Last edited by sggatecl; 05-20-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

My 3 favorite plays that I witnessed at Tiger stadium
1995: Late season and Gibson launched one onto the roof. I was just a kid so didnt really understand at the time what I was watching but this was one of his last games in a Tigers uni and I believe his last HR in Tiger stadium. But when he walked to the plate people started standing and it was like he was moving in slow motion. Then when it finally landed on the roof people went crazy and there were people trying to climb up the polls in the upper deck trying to get the ball. I remember my dad telling me that I just saw the swan song of a baseball legend.

2. Higgy who was my favorite player at the time in the late 90's launched one to left center when we were playing the mariners. Of course Griffey Jr. made the most amazing defensive play by sprinting and robbing the homerun. Both pissed off and impressed beyond belief. Also saw Higginson once use his cannon to gun a runner at home. Crazy awesome.

3. Fielder put one over the roof that landed in the parking lot or is still in orbit not sure. But it was a walk off I believe or a late game go ahead hr.

My godmothers dad who was probably 70 when I was born was the team optometrist for probably 30 years. He had season tickets 3 rows back from homeplate and I spent a ton of time at that park as a kid. To this day I have been to many ball parks and have never gotten the same feeling as when you walk into Tiger stadium. I miss that place
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #15

Sadly, I did not get to see many games at Tiger Stadium due to us relocating so early in my life. I did catch a few during our summer vacations which were spent visiting family back in Michigan. I guess the most memorable one I have of those few would have been when I went with my grandfather's best friend who owned the ice cream shop in Dowagiac. We left very early in the morning as Bob wanted to show me Michigan Stadium on the way. After stopping in Ann Arbor we made our way towards Motown. Now like I said we left early and as we got closer to Detroit, no lie, we were passed by Cecil in a black Mercedes. I'm assuming he was running late for BP. Do not remember who we played, I do remember the air raid sirens that they played back then after Tiger homers sounding frequently. Tony Phillips, Cecil, Tettleton, and Deer all had homers if I recall correctly. Bob died a year or two later and it was the last time I saw him, so I've always remembered that day.

Now the Tigers game I remember the most is one that I did not attend. When I was in high school I had received permission from Pops to skip school and catch the Tigs down at Camden for an afternooner. My favorite player of all time is Sweet Lou and this so happened to be the last chance I would have to see him before retirement. A weekend or two before the midweek game I had a party at the house while the 'rents were out of town. I ended getting busted and Pops no longer let me skip. I got home from school in time to catch the last few innings since we get some Oriole games out this way only to find out that he was a triple shy of the cycle. I was pissed at the old man, and those feelings have subsided, but obviously I haven't forgotten...

"The two parties have combined against us to nullify our power by a ‘gentleman's agreement' of non-recognition, no matter how we vote ... May God write us down as asses if ever again we are found putting our trust in either the Republican or the Democratic Parties." -- W.E.B. DuBois (1922)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod817 View Post
Sadly, I did not get to see many games at Tiger Stadium due to us relocating so early in my life. I did catch a few during our summer vacations which were spent visiting family back in Michigan. I guess the most memorable one I have of those few would have been when I went with my grandfather's best friend who owned the ice cream shop in Dowagiac. We left very early in the morning as Bob wanted to show me Michigan Stadium on the way. After stopping in Ann Arbor we made our way towards Motown. Now like I said we left early and as we got closer to Detroit, no lie, we were passed by Cecil in a black Mercedes. I'm assuming he was running late for BP. Do not remember who we played, I do remember the air raid sirens that they played back then after Tiger homers sounding frequently. Tony Phillips, Cecil, Tettleton, and Deer all had homers if I recall correctly. Bob died a year or two later and it was the last time I saw him, so I've always remembered that day.

Now the Tigers game I remember the most is one that I did not attend. When I was in high school I had received permission from Pops to skip school and catch the Tigs down at Camden for an afternooner. My favorite player of all time is Sweet Lou and this so happened to be the last chance I would have to see him before retirement. A weekend or two before the midweek game I had a party at the house while the 'rents were out of town. I ended getting busted and Pops no longer let me skip. I got home from school in time to catch the last few innings since we get some Oriole games out this way only to find out that he was a triple shy of the cycle. I was pissed at the old man, and those feelings have subsided, but obviously I haven't forgotten...
I saw a game a few years back when the Tigers played the O's at camden. I really like that park it has that old school feel. I got to see Verlander, Zumaya, and Rodney all pitch in a win where Raburn hit two homers I think or maybe Kelly. But the fans there grumbling everytime our pitchers hit triple digits since at that time most of our pen could come close and verlander obviously can.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #17

I've been to some good ones. Fielder hitting one on the roof, the JV one hitter versus the Pirates, a 21(?) run blow out win. Hard to pick a favorite game, but easy to pick some great memories out of the bunch.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown1958 View Post
I saw a game a few years back when the Tigers played the O's at camden. I really like that park it has that old school feel. I got to see Verlander, Zumaya, and Rodney all pitch in a win where Raburn hit two homers I think or maybe Kelly. But the fans there grumbling everytime our pitchers hit triple digits since at that time most of our pen could come close and verlander obviously can.
Camden is a beautiful park, much better than the old Memorial Stadium, although I have fond memories of that park as it was where I saw my first Tigers game. Hopefully you had some Natty Boh while watching the game...

"The two parties have combined against us to nullify our power by a ‘gentleman's agreement' of non-recognition, no matter how we vote ... May God write us down as asses if ever again we are found putting our trust in either the Republican or the Democratic Parties." -- W.E.B. DuBois (1922)
Old 05-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrod817 View Post
Camden is a beautiful park, much better than the old Memorial Stadium, although I have fond memories of that park as it was where I saw my first Tigers game. Hopefully you had some Natty Boh while watching the game...
Of course man you have to. Also Camden has some good beer vendors where you can get some of the local microbrews for around 5 dollars. Compared to the new Nats park where all the beers are over 10.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #20

I had a quick minute so I thought I would post some of my most memorable.

Second game ever at Tiger Stadium was bat day in 1968. AL Kaline hit a homer, and if I am remembering correctly the Tigers won 7-0 - all 7 coming on homers. I had that bat until I was 35 years old. It finally fell apart from over use.

Then came a game when we lived in Gaylord. My dad had to come down to Detroit on business, and by some miracle luck, decided to get some random tickets for a game a few weeks earlier. It turned out to be a day in which Mark "the bird" Fidrych pitched one of his patented fabulous gems. Talk about the stadium gone wild. I think the Tigers won 2-1 - but all I really remember (other than Fidrych) is I had never heard a louder stadium - it was electric.

Of course, I couldn't mention my favorite games without mentioning the World Series in 1984. For game 4, I sat in partially obstructed seats, but I sure as heck didn't care. It was the only World Series game I have ever been to. Alan Trammel hit two home-runs to account for all the Tiger scoring. Morris pitched a complete game. Tigers won 4-2 to go up 3-1. Wow, what a great memory - I came home with no voice, and an Alan Trammell jersey.

I realize you didn't ask about the Lions, but they used to play at Tiger Stadium too, does that count? One of my best Lion's memories was a game against the Los Angeles Rams on a cold December day in 1969. The Lions won 28-0 - and that was when the Rams were real damn good. Bill Munson was the QB, and Errol Mann scored 14 of Detroit's points. Tied for the highest points scored for or against that year. Still think about that game from time to time as the years of futility continue to mount up for them. :*)