Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Diggler's Junk

Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #1

Slow Cookin the Ink way

So, most of the folks on the board who know me, know that I love to cook. I mean love it. I cook every day, sometimes twice a day, and I plan to compete in Master Chef one day.

And it's the time of year when I bust out my slow cooker and make nice soups, chilis, stews... all the good stuff to keep you warm in the colder months.

So I thought I'd share some of the slow cooker recipes I do with anyone who cares.

For the next two weeks, the only dinners that will be cooked in my house will be prepped the night before, and then cooked in a slow cooker the day of. I do this in the colder months because both the wife and I are handicapped, her with RA, and me with a lot of bad lifestyle choices over the years.

First up on the list, slow cooker chicken leg quarters. First I make my Beer Can Rub for the outside of the chicken:

2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder

Rub that on the leg quarters nice and thick. I like a lot of flavor in my food. Let it set for an hour to really adhere to the meat.

In a large skillet, heat up olive oil just below the smoke point. Olive oil is a quick breakdown oil, so it smokes fast. We want medium-high heat, but not enough to break down the oil.

Now cook each side of the leg quarters for three minutes per side... just enough to crisp up the outer skin a bit, but not enough to actually cook the meat.

Slice up 5 celery ribs, 5 carrots, 5 potatoes, and half a medium yellow or white onion. Don't dice the onion, just slice it up.

Lay those in the bottom of your slow cooker in a nice layer. Once the chicken is cooked on each side, plate it in a pile on top of the veggies and taters.

Put the crock pot in the fridge. In the morning, set it to Low and let it cook all day. Add in one cup of water for the veggies.

By the time you get home from work, it's going to be smelling so good. Some times I like to add roasted garlic to the mix as well. Just wrap a head of garlic in tin foil real tight, and roast in your oven at 425 degrees for about 35 minutes.

The thing I love about slow roasting is I can prep it the night before in about 10-15 minutes, and then let it cook all day, so I am not too tired to cook when I get home from work. Sometimes if I am tired, I prep before work in the morning when I am feeling fresh and rested.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-16-2015, 01:40 AM   #2

I've been with my wife for 13 years and I can count on two hands the number of times she's cooked for us. My choice, I hate people in my kitchen.

Looking forward to seeing what your stews look like. I have a few soups and a decent chili but nothing beyond that.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #3
Forum Manager

Hey Ink, create a YouTube account and show us some food! I want to see these skills!

Somebody kill somebody! I wanna see a ghost!
Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster View Post
Hey Ink, create a YouTube account and show us some food! I want to see these skills!
I've been thinking about doing that. Got a lot of people on Google+ asking for videos as well.

I just don't have any decent way to shoot them.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #5

Tomorrow's Dish: Pork Roast Slow Cooked

Tonight's prep work will be making the rub, rubbing down the roast, and then searing it off.

The rub is pretty basic:

Ingredients
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt to taste (I like a little more salt than some)

I mix all of that into a ziplock bag and shake it until it mixes well.

For the roast I use a pretty large roast so I have leftovers. I plan to use those is a navy bean and pork soup the next day.

I like to cut slits into my roast and place roasted garlic in the slits for extra flavor as well.

Run the roast down on all sides and let it sit for one hour, covered, so the seasoning really adheres well.

Heat up some olive oil, and sear the roast all the way around. I use tongs the position the roast where it's still not seared to get every inch done. It usually takes about 3-4 minutes to sear it in a hot pan.

Now I ball up about four gold ball sized pieces of aluminum foil. Heavy duty is the best for this. Pick each one up, and slam it down on the counter top, to flatten one side.

Now place those balls in the bottom of the roaster flat side down. They will form a stand for the roast that will keep it out of it's own juices. Place the roast on the stands, and place on High heat for one hour, then on low for the rest of the day.

For this particular dinner, I am going to do pork and rice, which is why the foil is so important. When I get home from work, I will remove the roast to a cutting board long enough to drain the juices in the bottom of the crock put into a pyrex measuring cup, then put the roast back in the pot.

Take the juices, and strain them through some cheesecloth to get the solids out. Take the juices and mix with water to make 3 cups of liquid. Use this to cook the rice in.

Slice up the roast into nice pieces and serve over top of the rice.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
Forum Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfreq View Post
I've been thinking about doing that. Got a lot of people on Google+ asking for videos as well.

I just don't have any decent way to shoot them.
I would be your first subscriber.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #7
Forum Manager

Do you do dessert, too? Ever tried divinity? It's really sweet and seems very complicated. I've never made it, but my dad used to.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #8

Do you wash out cheesecloth somehow or throw it out and get a new piece each time?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster View Post
Do you do dessert, too? Ever tried divinity? It's really sweet and seems very complicated. I've never made it, but my dad used to.
I do some desserts, but it's not really my strong suit. I'm more of a classic guy... apple pie, pumpkin pie, and all kinds of sweet breads. Never been much for chocolate.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo Blue View Post
Do you wash out cheesecloth somehow or throw it out and get a new piece each time?
I do wash out the cheesecloth. Honestly, I'm too cheap to keep buying it.

I rish it out very well in hot water, and then I use one the wife's nylon bags.. the ones they use to wash out their super-delicate nylons, and toss it by itself in the washer on hot water and hot rinse.

I get maybe 20 uses out of them before I do have to toss them and buy new ones.