Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers

Old 08-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #21

I really wish I could honestly debate this

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime909 View Post
Or maybe he went to them about opting out of the contract after this season so they traded him for something instead of getting nothing for him. I haven't been a fan of some of the moves that Avila has made, but let's hold off on the reckless judgement.
I'm not sure I see that.. Even if he was going to opt out I doubt he would tell anyone..

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
I'm not sure I see that.. Even if he was going to opt out I doubt he would tell anyone..

I totally could. Maybe he didn't want to be in a rebuild and telling the team he was going to opt out would certainly get him traded. As fast as this happened, it makes perfect sense that something like this happened.

Could also be that the team asked him what his plans were and he was honest with them.

After the season he's had and the way he finished last year, opting out of that contract was a very good possibility.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime909 View Post
I totally could. Maybe he didn't want to be in a rebuild and telling the team he was going to opt out would certainly get him traded. As fast as this happened, it makes perfect sense that something like this happened.

Could also be that the team asked him what his plans were and he was honest with them.

After the season he's had and the way he finished last year, opting out of that contract was a very good possibility.
The more I think about it I think you're probably right.. Because they didn't seem to try and trade him in July but yet now, something changed..

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

Old 08-31-2017, 10:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
This seemed to come out of nowhere.. I don't like straight salary dumps. Bad system and #11 prospect.. Hopefully he's worth something. Total rebuild doesn't work unless you get something decent back..
This is my issue too. I understand dumping these huge salaries and going into rebuild mode but if you don't get much in return the rebuild is going to take 10+ years to make it back to a .500 record. We're not working with much from our farm system and I don't trust Avila and company to get us back to the promise land any time soon. I just cringe thinking about watching this team for the next 5 years.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchild98 View Post
This is my issue too. I understand dumping these huge salaries and going into rebuild mode but if you don't get much in return the rebuild is going to take 10+ years to make it back to a .500 record. We're not working with much from our farm system and I don't trust Avila and company to get us back to the promise land any time soon. I just cringe thinking about watching this team for the next 5 years.
I know some want JV traded but I might be at the "..cringe watching the next 5 years" if he is traded.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #27

Damn this stink. But I guess expected. 1:30 till midnight.
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!
Old 09-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #28

Nomad Maybin...maybe the Edwin Jackson of OFers before his career ends, Jackson has had his best season so far in '09 as a Tiger.

Even if Upton wouldn't have opted out, this franchise is not likely going to be a playoff, much less a WS contender in the forseeable future. But he is gone, and the Tigers teams to follow for the rest of this decade might be harder to watch, more often than not.

Maybe the Angels acquiring Upton will be enough for them to clinch a WC slot, along with the Twins, the latter who somehow have managed to contend for most of the season, while sporting a negative double-digit RD. They are currently only a half-game behind the Yankees, for the HF WC spot, and this while the shit-listers have the third best positive triple-digit RD in the AL.

Despite the loss of Upton, I don't see the Tigers moving up to any better than 4th for draft position, but I could be wrong with ~a month left and in the Sept stretch-run, where they are now even more unlikely to play spoilers. But even if they are to move up to #3 #2 or #1, we fans still have to consider who will be doing the rounds-picking.

EDIT: Buh-bye JV, hello #1 draft-pick?

Last edited by turok; 09-01-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #29

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...rt_river_index
Tigers get pitcher from Angels to complete Justin Upton trade.
Mlive
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinecountry View Post
http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...rt_river_index
Tigers get pitcher from Angels to complete Justin Upton trade.
Mlive

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=rodrig004elv