Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers

Old 09-01-2017, 07:34 AM   #21

I heard about Upton last night. I didn't hear about JV until I got up this AM. I didn't think they were going to do it. While I understand that many fans will be upset, I think it's the right move. I really enjoyed and appreciated what he did and will be rooting for him to get a ring. He wasn't going to get one here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #22

I hope that the Ilitch family is prepared for the fallout in acres of empty seats, esp if Miggy doesn't bounce back from his worst season as a Tiger. They also may have negatively affected their bargaining chips in negotiating a new TV contract. Esp b/c cable/satellite TV has been losing subscribers in droves, I cut the cord out of cost necessity after the '12 season.

But they splurged on a new facility for the Red Wings, who missed the playoffs for the first time in 25 years last season, and due to the cap, aren't very likely to repeat their glory years of the mid-90s-00s.

I still remember going to my first Tigers game @ CoPa during its inaugural season of '00, and feeling completely disconnected to the team, and resenting all of the references to Tigers teams/players who never performed there. Although CoPa has created its own special history since, this fire-sale with the same fools at the helm, is likely going to make me feel emotionally detached yet again.

Last edited by turok; 09-01-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #23

Sad to see him go, was the heart of the tigers for over a decade and was absolute must watch sports for several years. Having said that this was the correct decision. He's not getting any younger, this team needed a complete overhaul, he wasn't going to want to be part of a long painful rebuild, and he deserves another shot at a World Series. I don't really care if a guy is on the same team his whole career. Is it nice to say that, sure, but at the end of the day it's a business and this makes business sense.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartyNash View Post
Sad to see him go, was the heart of the tigers for over a decade and was absolute must watch sports for several years. Having said that this was the correct decision. He's not getting any younger, this team needed a complete overhaul, he wasn't going to want to be part of a long painful rebuild, and he deserves another shot at a World Series. I don't really care if a guy is on the same team his whole career. Is it nice to say that, sure, but at the end of the day it's a business and this makes business sense.
Little more upset than I thought I'd be. Sad to see him go. Houston is now my 2nd favorite team and I will follow them through the playoffs!

Thanks for the memories, #35!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #25

Just like all Detroit Tigers fans, I'm sad to see Verlander go, however I also think this was a necessary move. I have questions whether or not the overall haul of prospects we got for this trade (and all of the other ones this year) is the best we could have done with another GM running the show, but the one thing I know for certain is this team was not going to win a WS title anytime soon. I don't care about making the playoffs as a wildcard or "competing " into September. All i want is a championship. So hopefully 2-3 of the dozen prospects we collected this year turn out to be good players, and in a few years time we have a core of some young guys. I don't know if that will happen, bur that's the hope..:
Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
Not as nicest it should of been. We didn't get any of their top 3 prospects..
actually, Perez was their #3 prospect. His "grade" of 55 is tied with the Tiger's top 3 prospects. The other two are graded at 50 which is tied with the Tiger's #5 prospect. All 3 of the guys they got are in the Tigers top 10 now.

Of course there might be another site that differs from this one.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=hou

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=det
Old 09-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #27

Well,fk. I'm probebly not going to watch much of the final 30 games now and if miggy goes in the off season I might just be done for years to come
Old 09-01-2017, 08:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbiv View Post
The Tigers have been losing money for years. While they were/are losing money (and other teams are making millions), they are not putting it into infrastructure and player development. It all adds up. This contributes to the Tigers farm system being one of the worst, if not the worst.

People honestly think people who are rich can spend the money anyways. Most didn't get rich by making bad business decisions. While I am all for supporting my wife's business ventures, I am not going to jeopardize my retirement in the process. It is a fine line sometimes.

Now, based on what they originally had as a payroll going into 2017, DET was going to lose roughly $60 Mil (including the payroll tax). While they still are probably going to lose money in 2017, it is closer to break even mark. It's one thing to lose money and be in the hunt. Is another to lose $60 Mil for the 2nd worse team in the AL. Additionally, losing money effects franchise value.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any updates on the DET TV deal. It cannot be good news. And these past 2 deals certainly don't help.
To them it's like losing a fiver. The tigers are a very small thing when compared to their other large holdings.. Granted no one wants to lose money every year but it is honestly just small potatoes.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #29

This fire-sale would be faar easier to stomach, had even one of the contending Tigers teams over the past 11 seasons, won a WS championship, but all we got were humiliating exits in the postseason, regardless of how deep that each went.

Last edited by turok; 09-01-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbiv View Post
People honestly think people who are rich can spend the money anyways. Most didn't get rich by making bad business decisions. While I am all for supporting my wife's business ventures, I am not going to jeopardize my retirement in the process. It is a fine line sometimes.
No LLC?