Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers

Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchild98 View Post
Yeah I don't get it either. Anyone on any team could do this. It's just a really stupid gimmick.

As the game went on I thought "fuck it, the score is 3-2, if you really want it to mean something let the fucker close".

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #12

They should have, brad didn't have the balls, one of the reasons he's not coming back from what I read
Old 09-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #13

Twins manager Paul Molitor wasn't as enthused about the spectacle but understood why Romine would want to pull it off.

"I'm not a huge fan of it," Molitor said pregame. "I guess if your team's in that position, then go ahead and let it fly. It's not a big deal. ... I'm sure maybe it's been on his bucket list for a while."

Burn...
Old 09-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthereitgoes84 View Post
Twins manager Paul Molitor wasn't as enthused about the spectacle but understood why Romine would want to pull it off.

"I'm not a huge fan of it," Molitor said pregame. "I guess if your team's in that position, then go ahead and let it fly. It's not a big deal. ... I'm sure maybe it's been on his bucket list for a while."

Burn...
I wouldn't expect a player that spent more time at DH than any other position in his career to be a fan.

Last edited by sggatecl; 09-30-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #15

The best thing @ this point in an otherwise forgettable season, is that it is Ausmus' last as manager. But that doesn't mean that his replacement will be any more than perhaps marginally better, given who will be doing the interviews and selecting.

I am not watching a game, just b/c a utility player is capable of playing all 9 positions, when the Tigers could have done likewise with Don Freaking Kelly and maybe even Neifi Perez.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
The best thing @ this point in an otherwise forgettable season, is that it is Ausmus' last as manager. But that doesn't mean that his replacement will be any more than perhaps marginally better, given who will be doing the interviews and selecting.

I am not watching a game, just b/c a utility player is capable of playing all 9 positions, when the Tigers could have done likewise with Don Freaking Kelly and maybe even Neifi Perez.
The Tigers should have done this with Don Freaking Kelly when they had the Don
Freaking chance.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
I wouldn't expect a player that spent more time at DH than any other position in his career to be a fan.
Double burn
Old 10-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #18

There's was some morbid curiousity in me when I heard about this stunt, so I watched the last three innings. It was kinda cool with Mrs. Lettuce in the crowd and other members of his family, and he seemed genuinely thrilled to have pulled it off. After all, he's only the fifth guy to ever do it. Yes it's a stunt, but his name's in the books with it.

Another thing: This was the most actual managing out of Assmunch in the last four years combined.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGRW_9 View Post
There's was some morbid curiousity in me when I heard about this stunt, so I watched the last three innings. It was kinda cool with Mrs. Lettuce in the crowd and other members of his family, and he seemed genuinely thrilled to have pulled it off. After all, he's only the fifth guy to ever do it. Yes it's a stunt, but his name's in the books with it.

Another thing: This was the most actual managing out of Assmunch in the last four years combined.
So the whole thing was yesterday rather than today?

I'm not going to look it up to show up all you baseball nerds, but I think the first freak to do this was Cesar Tovar back in the 70s-am I right?

I still say if the Tigers were going to do this with anybody, it should've been Don Freaking Kelly.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post

Considering he played all outfield and infield positions over the course of his 21 year career I think he's the perfect guy to hear from on the feat.

Also, he was in the league for 14 years before DH became his primary position. The guy could still hit until he was 40.